Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why are some celebs playing non Fender brand teles?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Vintage Fan, Sep 30, 2015.

1. baimo

baimo TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2011
    new jersey
    I had to send back a brand new Taylor Made M1 yesterday. My ping hits it 20 yards further. So disappointing though. Different strokes

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

+1

Each individual is different.

For some people the guitar is really of very little importance.

Other people write songs and build guitars in their little shop, just part of the creative experience. Sometimes tinkering with, assembling guitars is just a great way to unwind from all the stresses of their lives.

Once the performance begins, it may well be that which instrument you're using stops getting much focus at all. I like it a lot, that each performer approaches this differently, or can do so.

+

Redd's post is the best, ain't it! :)

3. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Because they can?

I hate Fender Tele necks. Maybe they do too... so instead of getting a Fender and putting a third party neck on it, maybe they just ask the third party to build the whole thing exactly to their hearts desire.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

4. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    "due to more accurate building technology"? Are you serious? They all have the same cnc- machines now that differs 0,01 millimeter. If you havn't lived under a rock you should now that japan has the best quality control on earth.

5. cyberglad

cyberglad TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Morges, Switzerland
    Think of the fact, that guitar making only produces good guitars, when it's not mass production. When Fender was doing 100-200 guitars per year - they were well crafted, more attention to the wood, electronics, setup, so these guitars had their own mojo, their own life. However when instead of real enthusiasts who govern the company, you have "effective" managers, who are more into IPO, annual profit and investor reports - that's when the quality starts to go down. In any industry it is the same story.
    Most professionals either pick up real vintage guitars (at least in the studio) or go for smaller brands built by a group of enthusiasts...

6. joealso

joealso TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    Just a speculation - I saw Bill Kirchen a few years ago and he was playing a Strat. I spoke with him during a break and asked him why he had switched and he said that the Tele neck was becoming too small for his hand and was causing some discomfort in his hand and fingers. The next time I saw him, a year or so later, he was playing a pinecaster, joking that the wood for the neck had been harvested from the Chelsea Hotel in NYC. My guess is that someone made him a tele with a wider neck (no truss rod) but I didn't have a chance to ask.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

7. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis
    Although there aren't many pics or videos of me doing it, I still play a Fender.

8. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    The pinecaster Bill K has been playing is a Rick Kelly Bowery Series tele, you can check them out at Carmine St. Guitars in NYC. That guitar has Glendale parts with pups from the wonderful Don Mare!!

RJ

joealso likes this.

9. joealso

joealso TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    Cool. I'm heading to NYC on Sunday to catch John Hammond and Patterson Hood. Was planning on stopping at Rudy's Guitars but I'll try to check out Carmine's. Thanks for the great tip!

EDIT: ARRGH! Neither shop is open on Sunday. Oh well. I guess now I have a reason to have to go back another time.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    rjtwangs likes this.

10. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Very sorry that the stores will be closed, Rick is a great guy and much fun to talk to!! I'm sure you'll find other things to do, but while in NYC, see if Umanov's is open, Matt Uminov's store has been in the heart of the village for the last 40 years or so, he was there when I was in school and it's a great shop. Have fun and don't forget a trip to Katz's deli on the corner of Houston and Ludlow....send me a corned beef sandwich, please!

RJ

11. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Coincidentally that sounds like a Dale Watson song.

joealso and Humbuster like this.

12. joealso

joealso TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    I have been to Umanov's. Great shop. Just noticed you're from Reston. I attended Lake Anne Elementary there in '68-'69. Lived in Fairway Apartments right up the street. I'll send you the OTHER half of my corned beef. Those things are big enough to feed a family!

rjtwangs likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.