Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why are some celebs playing non Fender brand teles?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Vintage Fan, Sep 30, 2015.

1. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Fender continues to offer a wide range of guitars at a wide range of price points, satisfying many, many customers. I have nothing at all against Fender and own a bunch of actual Fenders. I think they are much more oriented to the consumer and much more creative than Gibson is these days.

I like the analogy to small block V8s and Colt 1911s. Pretty much nails it in my opinion.

G&L is an interesting company. I've had a couple-- an old vintage one and a Comanche. The construction is impeccable, including their lower cost Tribute series. But I concluded I don't like their strategy of going with hotter, ceramic pickups while providing a PTB circuit, such as Reverend also does.

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Don't you mean Gibson?

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Going for the small block Chevy comparison, introduced in 1955 and still sort of in production, Chevy factory cars and engines were the winning parts to use in the '50s through the '70s & '80s or so, but somewhere along the line the aftermarket began producing small batch superior parts that the big factory had less ability to make profitably.

How many miles does it take to turn a freighter around?

4. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    Great perspective, Redd.

5. JP Lace Master

JP Lace Master Tele-Meister

Sep 9, 2013
    Kent
    Do Celebs really HAVE to play Fender Teles, I mean a Fender Telecaster is truly beautiful guitar, but there isn't much in terms of variety in their range.

Take Prince, he has been playing Tele's for most of his career, yet few to none of them are ever Fender's, they're mainly Hohner, Bill Lawrence or his H.S. Anderson Madcat, would you fault him for that.

several of you guys also talked about the G&L ASAT, excellent guitar, especially the ASAT 3 with three Strat style pickups, great sound, still very Tele, but you can have some of the Strat tones as well. would you really blame a celeb for wanting one of these instead of a Fender.

saying all this, one makes an Esquire or Broadcaster, so I can't fault fender completely on this.

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE

7. JP Lace Master

Sep 9, 2013
    Kent
    No, I'm not, I do not see much in terms of variety in the current Fender Telecaster range. sure there are a some which are quite different from your "standard Tele", but I still can't help but think that if you look at different brands for your Tele's, you get more than what Fender is offering.

May I also point out that I am a lefty player, If I wanted a fender Tele, I ain't got much variety to choose from do I, I'm having to build a lefty Tele because of the lack of options. I say Tele, its an Esquire really.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Than for YOU there is really not so much variety (but this happens to ALL factory and mass produced brands anyhow,not only Fender)

As for the "lack of variety" from Fender for us righties I still believe that you ARE pulling our leg,Fender produces a gazzilion of different teles spec and price wise...no other company currently produces or ever produced a larger variety of telecasters than Fender does today.

you need to do more than state this,you should give us CONCRETE examples.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yeah, some of their Telecasters aren't even telecasters! :D

[​IMG]

10. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of Fender and Telecasters that some on here do, but seeing as how you can get anything you want from a custom builder I would imagine that that fact alone gives you more options right off the bat. I know some Fender models only come in certain colors, certain models have certain types of saddles that others don't, etc. Point is, unless you're going the Custom Shop route your choices for certain options will be limited with each model. If you are going the Custom Shop route, that's basically the same as going through an independent builder building to your custom specs.

11. JP Lace Master

Sep 9, 2013
    Kent
    The lack of variety I refer to is not specially comparing Fender to a singular competing brand, but all other Brands beside Fender. If one looks around at all other options in terms of manufacturer instead of just one, you will find there is more on offer than just what Fender is selling.

May I get back to the original point and simply say does brand really matter, as long as it looks and sounds like a tele does matter if its not Fender.

12. decal

decal Tele-Meister

Jan 19, 2013
    St. Paul, MN

I knew there was a reason I stopped looking at pictures of naked women and started looking at pictures of naked guitars.

That, and I found a woman who actually likes having frequent sex.

13. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    I hear ya brother! Fender don't do much for us lefties ..

14. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    It certainly matters to some people. I've seen it said more than once around these boards that "If it ain't a Fender it ain't a Tele!", and there are some people who refuse to play anything except Fender. It is fascinating because I don't think people realize how many great guitars there are out there being made by independent builders & alternative companies because they're blinded by their brand snobbery.

15. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    PNW
    Hello,
    Some people play a type of a guitar and not a brand.

16. ABCarlson

ABCarlson TDPRI Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Sherwood Park, AB
    For resale, I think the Fender name helps. Especially if you want a local sale and you don't live in LA or NY or Nashville etc.
    Not everywhere is a forum full of guitar geeks who know their boutique builders.

That said, I'd love to find a Whitfill or Dano etc. on the local listings.

17. Sunzu

Sunzu TDPRI Member

May 4, 2014
    Metro Detroit
    It's a preference thing nothing more doesn't denote quality ... when u can afford anything u want to play..... comes down to your preference in feel for the instrument. If Fender doesn't make a certain style neck... say a thick 1952 boat style with a 12-16 compound radius and you love that feel... you will look for something that has that style/feel. (I like that style of neck... not to popular .. and I put them all on my Tele's

However! For most of my thirty years of playing guitar Fender has been the OEM of the guitar world. (not always... but for the most part)... If given a choice between after market parts and Fender, I take Fender! From pots to pick ups... U know they will deliver. Are there products out there that are better? Sure...... There are also a whole lot of inferior crap out there that outnumbers the good 10-1.... so for the most part Fender all the way.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I agree that if you want something different from standard Fender fare there are many many great and adventurous builders who will listen to your ideas and work up a design that has the elements you want.
    Fender has limited ability to do this.

If you want a Tele with a slightly different neck shape, and a certain color and pickup set, Fender can probably do that too, either via the Custom Shop or even cheaply if you can assemble a Tele from a couple of different Fenders with the parts specs you want, that don't happen to appear on a single model.

Asking if brand really matters is like asking our collective favorite color.
    For some players a custom brand may feel far more special that the plain old Fender brand everybody owns, which no longer denotes the best of anything in particular.
    For me the Fender brand matters, not out of loyalty to the current corporate heads, but because I grew up loving and parts swapping Fender guitars, and the best Fender necks (usually vintage) are nicer (to me) than the many nice Warmoth and other necks I've owned.
    No matter how nice a custom Tele is, if it doesn't have the Fender logo it's missing something to me.
    As extreme as putting a PRS headstock on a Les Paul. OK that's an exaggeration.

And I will not counterfeit an aftermarket neck with a Fender decal.

If I was better funded and touring, and knew someone who made really great Tele style guitars from scratch for $2500 or so, I'd probably buy one or two, partly to have some great Teles that were more replaceable than my vintage parts Teles, and partly to support a great builder with both the business and the exposure.

If they wanted to give me free guitars to shill their product, I may not be as interested, but I really doubt there's much of that going on among small builders.

19. Sunzu

Sunzu TDPRI Member

May 4, 2014
    Metro Detroit
    I do. But..... I would NEVER sell it as a Fender!

I do it for two reasons. All the rest is Fender &....

A) to honor and pay homage to Leo Fender's invention/genius.
    B) the guitar looks un-finished without a decent logo on it

If you know Fender it's pretty easy to tell an aftermarket neck such as mine. (even with the Logo) Also... the Necks I use cost just as much as Fender necks.. People like me would have nothing to gain money wise

Now if your the type of A-h#@le! Use crap and go all the way and put on a bogus serial numbers etc with idea of swindling someone... That's dead wrong and everyone knows it. a little homework thwarts most of this...

20. JP Lace Master

Sep 9, 2013
    Kent
    hey don't knock crap necks, all of my guitars have copied necks and they have served me well. I will agree that passing these necks off as Fender is wrong, false advertising is just not right.

May I also say that for some of us, an aftermarket Fender neck is not a cheap thing, here in the UK, a genuine Fender aftermarket neck will set you back £200 ($333ish), not cheap.

when you say "honour and pay homage to Leo Fender's invention/genius", would you condemn a man for using Music Man or G&L Parts on a fender e.g. Francis Rossi and his Telecasters.

May I once again get back to the original point and make another point. when a lot of musicians start out, they are either bought an instrument as a present or they have to raise the money to get one themselves, either options result in a cheaper brand.

Fender guitars are not cheap, other brands are and for a new musician just getting started, this is what you have to have. I know you guys are gonna say get a decent Squier, but again this will limit your variety and the same can be said to some extent for second have Fenders.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.