Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

why are some bands not remembered the way they should be....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Rasmuth, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I guess some bands were only 'good enough' for their time.

Lack of longevity, career atrophy, listener apathy, whatever.

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    ...and then there are bands that have gone on, seemingly forever, and you can't really understand why.

Just because they're popular, doesn't automatically mean they're good. Just because they're good doesn't automatically mean they'll be popular.

Ira7 likes this.

3. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    That can be taken at least two ways. Not sure how you mean it.

4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Exactly. They coasted on that dude's songs. At least Pink Floyd stepped up with new material. Not only new material, but now legendary material!

5. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Floyd wandered in the desert for a few years (Umagumma, anyone?), but I think it worked out in the end. The thing with the Gin Blossoms is they hadn't even finished the record when they fired Hopkins, so nobody knew yet that the songs that would break through and define the band were his. Half the record was written by the other guys in the band, but they wouldn't have gone anywhere without "Hey Jealousy," and "Found Out About You" was the closer that established them as a genuine band and not a one-hit wonder. Unfortunately, the guy responsible was long gone by the time that happened.

Someone else in that situation probably could have parlayed those two huge hit songs into a record deal for another project, but Doug Hopkins had problems that went far beyond typical music business crap. Like I said before, a bad scenario for all involved.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Radio often stinks - huge markets with not a single really good high output station that will stay with you for 50 minutes of driving.

But this "blacklist" idea is, I think, folly. Heck, I've heard the Gin Blossoms many, many, many times over the years on commercial radio (not a monolithic thing) and I still hear them regularly. They get way, way better treatment than do a lot of the other bands of this era (Hootie and the Blowfish, James, Love, The Spin Doctors, Timbuk 3, Wall of Voodoo, Del Amitri, Rembrandts).

Frankly, though I've got one of just about every LP they released (normally a used one), they're not "a cut above" - they've got it all wrong if they feel they got cheated or something. Way too many other bands have a better claim to that.

7. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    *gasp* Umaguma is *awesome!* Admittedly, I'm probably in the minority along with our bass player. He and I bonded over that album as weirdo kids. He found a battered old copy during his after school job cleaning out repossessed house trailers. We played it to death.
    I still have it. It has a pair of initials and what I take to be a surname written in ball point on the cover. I sometimes wonder if P&E Miles miss their album or if it's what drove them out of their bong-stinky trailer in the first place!

beyer160 likes this.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I'm with you, I still skip past it. It seemed for a two or three years period all the bands piled on with that sound and you pretty much had to listen to the radio back then so you couldn't get away from it.

thesamhill likes this.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My perspective is skewed by being a teenager in NYC in the 70s. I grew up in the country's largest radio market, with the most stations, that played everything.

And the radio economy of the day didn't give you 30 minutes of commercials for every hour of air time. (This is another story, how their ad rates at that time allowed for profitably without killing the listener with commercials. They only competed with other radio stations, broadcast TV, and print for ad dollars.)

We had every kind of station imaginable, playing every style, and playing the new guys in each genre. This isn't even the case with satellite radio today! And even if it was, you would never find it.

For example, I was a big Renaissance fan. Now, I'm not saying the herb of the day didn't have an influence, but how the hell could I be so turned on by THEM!? I freaking loved it, and they got play on regular rock stations.

Try that nowadays, huh?

Minimalist518 likes this.

10. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Because their popularity ended up on the downward side of the popularity bell curve...beyond the 2nd Sigma point.

11. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I spent the '80s listening to bands hardly anyone cared about thinking, "man, *this* is what should be on the radio!" (some of it, I was probably right, while some of it was frankly unlistenable) only to turn on the radio at the dawn of the '90s to a streamlined distillation of much of what I'd been championing for a decade.
    Still, it was cool, post-Nirvana, to turn on the radio and hear music I could actually relate to. I dug stuff that didn't fit easily into either the grunge camp or the college rock mold.
    There were so many great bands that had one or two hits but put out fantastic albums. I loved the Rentals ("Friends of P,") Hum ("Stars,") Medicine (known, if at all, as the band in the club scene in the first Crow movie,) Veruca Salt has been mentioned already, Cracker had a pretty good run of mid-level hits as did the Lemonheads who I thought were a way better band than others that, IMO, copped their sound to far greater commercial success.
    On the other hand, there are bands of the era that I like that got pretty big and are still out there. Weezer, in their way, got to be rock stars, but not with the album's and singles I think are their best. Big dumb sing-alongs like "Pork and Beans" and "Beverly Hills" are huge hits while the entirety of Pinkerton languishes in obscurity. Oh well.
    By contrast, there's Raidiohead. I could write a very, very lengthy paragraph on the genius of Radiohead, but I'll restrain myself!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.