Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

why are some bands not remembered the way they should be....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Rasmuth, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Not that it matters one way or the other to your opinion, but Dave Matthews is South African, not Australian.

Ex-riverman and nojazzhere like this.

2. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2011
    MKE
    I agree with others on the 90's sound. A lot of it was just too similar. Talented musicians though. But it is hard for me to listen to it. All these bands, Toad, Gin Blossoms, Collective Soul, etc, all have a song or two that I like, but I can only handle it in very small doses.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Old farts like me might remember the name, but sure couldn't name any songs.

Anyone under 40 wouldn't have a clue.

4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    oops, that right. Thanks for the correction. I knew it was the Southern Hemisphere.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

There's a huge number of bands that seemed this close to something much bigger. Hard to know exactly what they could've done differently.

The main problem is, different sorts of people buy records and attend shows from entirely different sorts of reasons. People actually get offended if the level of musicianship is too high or the singer is too pretty or the vocal shows too much range - not gritty enough.

One of the things that can be a death sentence for bands, I think, is if people can't keep the band straight (can't distinguish their sound in words, and can't talk about them over the phone unless a clip of the hook of the song is employed). I have seen people who I felt genuinely liked a certain band, but they kept getting the name mixed up with a couple other bands and they decided, upon reflection, that the embarrassment of misidentification could only be prevented by turning one's back entirely on the band. In other instances, people would go to the shows but refused to communicate with others about them - and with no word of mouth, you're going down the toilet IMHO. Or people walk in the record store and their mind just goes blank, because your music is not aimed at the most rudimentary portions of the customer's brains. I remember one girlfriend, and she'd lock up in the record store and actually came back home with the very same album 4 times - and it wasn't even someone she liked.

I don't want to call it an embarrassment of riches, but some of these bands were constantly being torn - one voice says "let's diversify our sound" and the other voice in the band says "we got our deals based on an identifiable sound, if we let it loose for just one album, someone else will steal it for theirs". Way too many bands all trying to do subtle variations on one another. Think about the bands with the term "Blue" or "Modern" or "Crow" or "Soul" in their name.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

6. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2014
    Toronto
    I'm 31 and know them but alas you are correct. I only know them because I was watching the Social Network (Facebook Movie) one day and heard one of their songs in the back ground.

7. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I have a lot of albums, but no way to play them. No turntable, and no audio system:

Time marches on, and people just don't get their music via stand alone audio systems. Instead, we have sound bars and surround sound speaker systems connected to our TVs.

And with YouTube, I can listen to just about every one of those albums collecting dust in my closet, without touching those albums.

I'm not saying it's good for the music industry, or the artists, but s***...

It's really good for me.

Uncle Bob and badfish_lewis like this.

8. colnago

colnago TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    The Great White North
    Love Toad, I've seen them a couple times.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    "I'm Not In Love".....?

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's the ONE! And The Things We Do For Love.

11. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Not only that, but there is some feeling from the band members that they were blacklisted from radio because of it.

Their disappearance from radio was quite sudden.

Then again, commercial radio doesn't care about anything other than selling ads, so I doubt it.

12. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    "Hey Jealousy" and "Until I Fall Away" had already made their way up and down the charts when Hopkins killed himself- "Found Out About You" was their current single at the time. It was still a big hit, and got play for years afterward. Maybe college radio in their hometown where people might have known him from the local scene might have pulled it, but the story of Hopkins' death didn't get much traction nationally. I saw it as a two-line filler bit on the entertainment page of USA Today.

13. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I know, but I remember an interview with one of the guys in the band who pointed out that after their heyday when 90's "alternative" stations popped up, they totally stopped playing their music, and it happened so fast it seemed suspicious.

I think that it is true that the dude's death wasn't a big story, I also think that there are a lot people who do know about it who think less of the band because of it.

I remember thinking the dude deserved to get canned, but it seemed kind of cheesy that all of their popularity was based on his songs.

14. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I don't know why those guys think there was some conspiracy against them, I think the record just got old at a certain point- it's 25 years old this year (holy crap!). You don't hear the Jayhawks or Son Volt on the radio anymore, either. I remember those Gin Blossoms songs being EVERYWHERE in the '90s though.

I think most people who know anything about the situation understand why they fired Hopkins- they really didn't have a choice. I'm sympathetic to that- those guys worked hard on that band for years, and right when things were starting to come together a key member flaked out. The dirty part was how they boned him out of his royalties- that was inexcusable.

I'm sure someone pointed out to them that Pink Floyd kept going after they fired Syd Barrett, but unfortunately for the Gin Blossoms they didn't have a Roger Waters waiting in the wings.

ac15 likes this.

15. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    So are we discussing bands that aren't well known or bands that aren't appreciated properly and thus forgotten?
    Just thinking out loud...

The 90s were my peak music buying years and I feel like there were so many possible bands to listen to. If you go by what rock bands people remember of the 60s and 70s it seems like there are 10-15 that are remembered and fully appreciated. What bands are appreciated suffciently and known by the most people? A sample would include Stones, Beatles, Who, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac, Prince, Bruce . They need neither more accolades nor more album sales. For some, a few of those may be in a category of 'more well known and appreciated than they deserve.' So many others that deserved more (in the US, anyway) - Sparks, Groundhogs, Rock A Teens, Melvins, Can, Swervedriver, Hawkwind (sometimes). But, their style probably prevented them from being huge. Roxy Music was popular but they should be more appreciated by people today! People know 'I'm not in Love' by 10cc but do they know the band's name? do they appreciate how inventive (some of) the rest of their output was? Is it safe to say that Spin Doctors were too well known and appreciated? The Ting Tings - well known but under appreciated?

From the kickstarter story, obviously TTWS has a sufficiently (enough to exceed their fundraising goal) large enough group who remember and appreciate them. I couldn't identify any of their songs by listening or title. I remember their name and probably heard a song and it either wasn't my style or I just didn't think it was that good. Maybe my TTWS days are ahead of me. (Like my Smiths days. I always said I'd probably spend my 50's listening to them. I'm never really on top of current music. I figure if it's really great it'll filter down through the ages and I can catch up later. I'm still working on music from the 60's through 2000's.)

Or maybe TTWS had a few great songs but just didn't have the combination of skills and circumstances to stay vital, relevant and earn appreciation. Very few bands do. So many more out there that contributed one or two songs to the rock and roll canon and then faded away and live on through musicians playing in bars and a small and dedicated group of fans. A pretty good legacy for someone that got to make a living for a few years writing and playing some songs.

16. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I've always loved 10cc, and at least during the 70's quite a few people had heard of them. They might not have the instant name recognition of some of the bigger names of that era. If someone says they don't know the name ask them if they remember Godley and Creme's Cry or Under My Thumb, both those are from the mid 80's.

Ira7 likes this.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    We live in a very different musical world nowadays.

The next Beatles are out there right now, on YouTube, but you're never going to know.

It sucks, and it's really depressing.

18. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The thing is, the 90s were the dying decade of buying CDs. It was all crashing down.

And listeners took their lead from regular radio, another dying medium. Radio wasn't radio any longer. The industry sucked/sucks. Their influence was zero compared to earlier times. People were listening via their devices, music they were predisposed to buy, but not influenced by radio.

Ex-riverman likes this.

19. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Darius Rucker's voice + perfect pop song = pure magic. I love Cracked Rear View (first Hoodie album) and I love the first Matchbox 20 album for the same type of reason: out a great voice over well crafted pop songs and you're got great stuff!

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Joking, right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.