Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

why are some bands not remembered the way they should be....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Rasmuth, Sep 18, 2017.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Love Veruca Salt, and I got to see them before they were big, at a free show at the UW union hall. I thought there soon-to-be big hit "Seether"'s chorus lyrics were "Can't fight the fever...(fever!!!)" at the time, and of course I instantly fell in love with the babes in the band

Minimalist518 and jonrpick like this.

2. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    He wrote their first hit ("Hey Jealousy") and their biggest ("Found Out About You"). They got help from from Marshall Crenshaw the next time around to make up for the loss, but it was all downhill after that.

Again though, not taking sides. It was a bad scene for all involved.

boris bubbanov likes this.

3. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yeah I read he'd sugared up their gastank after they'd gotten big and he was no longer a part of the group. Sad

4. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Around the time that song came out I was on an overnight road trip, and it was decided to mashup "Seether" and REO Speedwagon's "Can't Fight This Feeling"- "Oh baby I can't fight this seether anymore..." I can no longer think of one song without hearing the other.

jonrpick and blowtorch like this.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    It was while he was still in the band and wanted to stop the tour and go home. The man had problems.

6. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I still get Toad the Wet Sprocket and Big Head Todd and the Monsters mixed up.

Ex-riverman likes this.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm a geek for the heavily produced stuff from the 70s. Two of my favorite "obscure" bands are 10CC and Ambrosia, and no one's heard of them.

Ex-riverman, Uncle Bob and BuckSatan like this.

9. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Not just songwriting, their sound was really built around his guitar playing.

boris bubbanov likes this.

10. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    His drinking got out of hand when they were recording New Miserable Experience and the band fired him, supposedly after they got an ultimatum from the record company. He was forced to sign over the publishing rights to Hey Jealousy and Found Out About You, plus the other songs he'd contributed to on the album, just to get paid what he was owed and wasn't even given any credit for his guitar work. After those two songs became hits he went into a downward spiral and ended up committing suicide. Bad business all around. Needless to say, that band is not well liked in the Phoenix area.

11. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ

12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

10cc is not well known?

Really?

Also re "the 90's sound"...I rarely get sick of a song or band but one I DO (sadly) is Hootie and the Blowfish. I love their songs and sing along to them like a Machine (in my head :) ) but played the album too much, heard it on the radio too much OR it hasn't aged well (more likely all 3) ...either way it disappoints me that I cant seem to play them and sing along any longer. GREAT Sing along songs.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    They had a few hits. By the time that happened, their records weren't as good or interesting as the ones before they had a few hits. As others noted, music moved on from that sound. It's like asking why a great band like MBV or the Pixies never hit super-stardom. But Nirvana did. Go figure.

Cool Veruca Salt clips.

Johnson johnson and Ira7 like this.

14. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    the only Hootie song I could ever stand, and, I like this one quite a bit:

Well, this one's awesome, too, actually :p

Bruxist likes this.

15. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Yup, kinda feel you hit the nail on the head. The music was ubiquitous. Great musicians and talents, all of them, but it fell into that collegy-90s music sound that burned me out as well. Catchy, well written songs but in the end kind of leave me feeling like I'm eating PB&Js all the time. Great stuff, but....

Plus I agree that the name sucked bigtime. If you have to explain your name to everyone it just gets old and people kind of go "oh, ok, cool (I guess)". I think its odd when a band cops a name from something that existed before, because then there's the comparison and confusion.

They kind of remind me of the Australian dude that was/is hugely popular that my wife loves so much. What the hell is his name? Really talented, but I could easily go to sleep with his music in the background.

Really not knocking these guys, I could never be this talented, but I need some, I don't know, heat or edge to my music. Can't do with too much easy listening sound.

16. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    And that's where it should have returned.

17. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Dave Matthews. Just remembered it. yup. ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Johnson johnson and Ex-riverman like this.

18. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 19, 2016
    S.F. Bay Area
    Re: Gin Blosssoms. They've put out a couple of better-than-decent albums this century, and their upcoming one was recorded with Don Dixon and Mitch Easter. I've seen them at the free Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk shows a couple times recently, and the new material fits in with the vintage stuff just fine.

Smithereens might fit this category pretty well, too.

19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Exactly .. Lot of great talent, great voice .. boring as hell.

If music doesn't speak to people then eventually it fades away. I think the Toad suffers from the same.

Now what is boring and what is not .. well that depends on the times.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've always felt that the Dave Matthews Band was less then the sum of their parts. I knew most of those guys before they got together in Charlottesville and even auditioned for a band Boyd Tinsley was putting together. I didn't get the gig, but I thought the band he had was better then what the DMB became. But a lot of people really like them and they've sold more records then I ever will.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.