Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

why are some bands not remembered the way they should be....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Rasmuth, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2006
    Churchville, NY
    My acoustic duo had a gig this past saturday night and after we played Toad the Wet Sprocket's "Something's Always Wrong" we had a number of folks inquiring as to who the original artist was and what not and it occurred to me...these guys were a terrific band and they were all over MTV, but for some reason, they seem to just not be remembered the way they should be. I never hear their names come up when people discuss music from the 1990's.....

First of all...anyone still dig these guys like I do and why is it, do you think, some bands seem fade farther back into obscurity than others?

Here's a few of there tunes...

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Good point. I found myself wondering why I haven't heard from them.

3. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    That band name didn't do them any favors.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    It came from a Monty Python skit.

Dan R, drlucky and Grux like this.

5. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    I rediscovered one of the few rock bands from the 90's that I truly loved a couple of years ago.

Same deal... videos on MTV. Big 2nd record that eclipsed the first. They imploded 3yrs into their career and dropped off the map after losing 3 out of 4 members. They reunited a couple of years back.

Anyway... I always hear other music from that era still being played on rock and alternative radio, from bands who weren't any bigger. Yet none from these guys...

Just yesterday I picked up their latest record on vinyl.

The band is Veruca Salt!

6. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Gin Blossoms, 7 Mary 3, and Better Than Ezra probably fall into the same category.

7. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    We cover, "walk on the ocean" and "Somethings always wrong" as well. I dunno I really dig them and they were awesome opening for Counting Crows a couple years ago!

We do a couple Gin Blossom tunes as well but everyone seems to remember them lol.

SomeVelvetMorning likes this.

8. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    The Gin Blossoms were also great.

brookdalebill, DonM and Grux like this.

9. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I know what you mean
    What p###es me off even more is that people diss current artists that put out decent music today !
    So many talented people make good music today , only to receive crap from people online........these people are the ones carrying the torch today....

10. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I saw Toad live back in their hey-day and they were quite good. I enjoyed their 1994 Dulcinea album a lot. They did a Kickstarter for a new digital download album back in 2013 that had a fund raising goal of $50k and ended up raising over $250k.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/toadthewetsprocket/new-studio-album-from-toad-the-wet-sprocket

I jumped in on it. Once they finished the album they sent out codes to use to download. I couldn't get the link or the code to work and emailed but never heard back. Tried again a few months later. Again never heard back. Kind of soured me. You gotta take care of your fans.

That album is on iTunes now as is an EP they did in 2015.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Decent bands haven't gotten mainstream radio play for a long time, which keeps them from becoming "huge" like the bands from the '60s and '70s. I've only heard the name of the OP's band, never heard any of their music. Same for a lot of the other bands being mentioned in this thread. Not saying they weren't great, but they never had mass exposure to people who weren't into their specific genre.

I was/am a huge fan of Dream Theater. To me they were like a modern Genesis or Yes. Incredible musicianship and songwriting. Still, they never got the following I thought they deserved.

12. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Their problem was that they fired the guy who wrote all the hits, and he killed himself.

Not talking sides as to whether or not the guy deserved to get fired, but it did kinda put a damper on the band.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Because it was the name of another band?

Ex-riverman likes this.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    History is a set of lies agreed upon.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

15. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    For me, it was burnout on that sound. If you were in the bars in the 1990s, you were basically drowning in that sound- acoustic-ish, hooky but with little polyrhythm, similar harmonies, similar song structure. Toad the Wet Sprocket was there, Gin Blossoms, Hootie, Counting Crows, etc. It was pretty good stuff, taken song by song, but I can remember just being completely done with the sound in general. I think unfortunately, Toad the Wet Sprocket was such the classic band of that genre, and Walk on the Ocean was the song that was the epitome of it, that they bore the brunt of that collective burnout. Good band, good tunes, but I'm still burnt out on them 20-odd years later.

16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The root of the issue is your perception and belief that TTWS should be remembered a particular way. That's not meant as an insult, or put down. It's simply a coolly objective assessment of the psychological underpinnings of your experience.

I have many artists and bands I love who are virtually or completely unknown. Almost no one ever knows who the Residents or David Sylvian are. And unlike TTWS, they don't get any kind of radio play aside from the occasional play on a college station. Same with Minus The Bear, and advertisement/endorsements in music magazines hardly counts.

And yes, I readily acknowledge that none of those I listed are exactly 'user friendly', but that's beside the point.

Ex-riverman likes this.

17. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Hmmm... here is one possible reason why TTWS "faded into obscurity"

Discography:
    Bread & Circus (1989)
    Pale (1990)
    Fear (1991)
    Dulcinea (1994)
    Coil (1997)
    *band breaks up* (1998)
    ???
    New Constellation (2013)

Seems like a pretty good run in the 90's though. I can remember like 3 songs of theirs I think. Maybe they just weren't that big to begin with? Like, successful definitely, but not Nirvana huge.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

18. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Another aspect of what you describe is that those bands never went beyond that sound. They never pushed themselves to go beyond what they had already done.

boris bubbanov likes this.

19. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Edwin McCain fits in there too. The fact that he hasn't released an album in 6 or 7 years probably isn't helping him any either. Still puts on a damn good live show though.

20. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    I've read about that. I know he contributed but I didn't think he was the primary songwriter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.