Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Why are "genuine fender" USA tele bodies so hard to find?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by logans_tele, Nov 6, 2017.

1. logans_tele

logans_tele TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    So I happened to see that Fender has USA-made replacement bodies in their 2016 product guide. I can't figure out why these are so hard to find at normal retailers and why they wouldn't be listed on their website. Based on looking at prior years catalogs, I don't think these are a brand new thing. I can only find them on eBay or a couple overseas retailers.

Here's a USA made, vintage blond tele body with vintage bridge part number: 099-8005-707

Anyone have any info on these or why they're so hard to find?

2. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    'Tis a puzzlement. Fender used to have a few different US-made bodies on their site, but now has only a Jazz Bass body. I don't know what happened.

3. Equus

Equus TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Indiana
    My personal opinion is that they offer the previous years over runs as parts. When those are gone ya gotta wait until next year. I could be very wrong though.

4. BobbyMac

BobbyMac TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 21, 2003
    Texas
    Fender USA or MIM replacement bodies are a specialty item. Very few, if any, walk-in music stores carry them. The 099-8005-707 Tele body is available from online retailers on eBay and Reverb.com, so I wouldn't consider them hard to find. The only USA replacement body I see in the current 2017 lineup at Fender.com is a Jazz Bass model. All the others appear to be MIM. This is likely why there are not more vendors showing the USA Telecaster body in inventory. Do you have a problem buying from guitarpartsfactoryus or billsmusic on eBay? They both have current listings for the 099-8005-707 body.

5. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Economics 101: Supply and Demand. If there's not much supply, most likely it's because there is not much demand.

nojazzhere and Ripradiant like this.

6. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    +1 on that! Not too many people running in to buy just a Tele body when you could probably buy the whole guitar in the used market for the same price!

7. logans_tele

logans_tele TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    I've no problem buying from ebay, etc. I was mainly just curious why they are relatively scarce (not on MF, GC, fender.com, etc.). I thought maybe they were either hot-off-the-press brand new or perhaps old/discontinued. I'm probably more interested in that surf green strat body, but this is a tele forum so I used that one as an example in my post.

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Reality is that Fender is in the business of selling "whole, complete" guitars, with their associated markup and profit margins! While the numbers of the percentage may be off, 30% of a $700 "complete guitar" is more $$ than 30% of a $300 "body" only! It's all in the math.

I might also provide a word of caution concerning the online purchase of "lightly used, but perfect condition" bodies and/or necks. Many times, the reason a guitar gets "parted out" is because some part of it is simply one of the dogs that inevitably made it out the factory door!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

nojazzhere, rich815 and logans_tele like this.

9. Equus

Equus TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Indiana
    When I bought my MIM strat body from Fedner.com back in the spring there were US made bodies for sale as well. Now the selection is not as broad. When supply will be restocked, and just what will be offered is anyone's guess.

10. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    There were several times I'd have purchased a guitar body/neck from Fender online but Fender refuses to give us weights and neck measurements that some on line retailers will.

How hard is it to cross reference the weight or neck specs to an individual SKU or serial number?

If'n I were at Fender that'd be job one for the aftermarket bodies and necks. Not only would Fender please their customer base but they'd also have running tabs on what neck shapes and body weights are in the highest demand.

11. logans_tele

logans_tele TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah, I'm with you there. I know everyone has their own preferences, and for me there's just something about the Fender brand that matters to me. I'd like to support them and buy a neck or body from them, but man.... who wants to buy a sunburst body or ANY body or neck for that matter sight unseen??? not me.

12. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    That's why I want weights and measurements. If it can't touch/feel it I at least want to know what to expect. I know what neck sizes will work for me and what body weights are within my tolerance. I just can't rationalize paying full pop for replacement parts if I don't even know if they'll even remotely work for me.

In this day of internet sales I feel it's the least the supplier and or seller can do. I rarely purchase from those sellers who won't or can't give me this very basic information. :rolleyes:

13. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I bought a MIM 50's classic neck a few months ago and while I didn't have specs on it for the specific neck, it met me needs just fine.

14. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    Probably hung up in Customs, or, the container got misplaced...

15. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Who cares anyway, when you can get better quality from aftermarket sources such as established, hard working builders, or from USACG. (and cheaper)

16. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Stratosphere sells lots of them.

17. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I’ve seen them now and again at GC.

18. Metal Guru

Metal Guru TDPRI Member

May 31, 2016
    Franklin, Mi.
    There are some deals to find on Tele bodies there but they want a fortune for American made necks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.