Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who's really your number 1 guitarist for reals?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Aug 30, 2017.

1. rhythmos

rhythmos TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2017
    World
    I don't think I relate to another guitar player's style as much as I do to Prince's.

His guitar work on the '85 Syracuse concert during Purple Rain is just chilling - THAT version of Purple Rain still is to me the best 10 minutes of live music ever.

It doesnt sound has good out of context, specially the first solo after Prince just screams his lungs out, so go watch or listen to the full song, but someone cut just the guitar solos and put it on Youtube:

So many little details on his guitar work that the casual listener won't even notice that I can only guess he was playing for himself.

Prince had something that I always found was missing in Hendrix, which was not losing himself in a solo. Hendrix would almost always start an amazing solo but then just get lost and lose that flow, Prince would just keep going and going never missing a note.

2. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis

3. DarkKnight37

DarkKnight37 Tele-Meister

May 21, 2016
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    This. I very reluctantly chose SRV as my favorite earlier in this thread, barely beating out Prince only because SRV is the reason I picked up a guitar to begin with. Prince's playing speaks to me like no one else's, though. He always played the song, but could take songs to new heights the second he started a solo (or even rhythm...dude was a complete player). The day he died I coped by buying a copy of his guitar, which you can see in my avatar.

Minimalist518 likes this.

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    It's still Andy Summers.

Sort of saddens me that many think his ability as a soloist is weak or poor. But then
    most haven't heard much of his solo work, or playing on albums like Michael Shrieve's "Stiletto".

His solo starts at 4:00. It still raises the hair on my skin

xafinity and Minimalist518 like this.

5. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2012
    Berlin
    Andy Gill probably. But wait: I am more into the guy who got influenced by him...Hillel Slowak! But then again he also sounded a bit like this other guy, Jimi...Jimi...forgot. Who happens to be the inspiration for another great, great player. Who unfortunaltely left the same band Hillel was in. But if I'd had to really pick one, it would be the guy who influenced the Jimmi dude: Curtis!!

6. JTStivers

JTStivers TDPRI Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Topsham, Maine
    If I really had to pick only one player--and I had to listen over and over to the recorded output of that one player, it'd probably be Pierre Bensusan.

4pickupguy likes this.

7. Teledactyl

Teledactyl NEW MEMBER!

Sep 28, 2017
    Prince Edward Island
    I like the way Julian Lage handles a Tele....

xafinity and Reggie77 like this.

8. titan uranus

titan uranus TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    This is an easy one for me.

Buddy Guy.

9. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Of course, can't pick just one ... but if my life depended on it ... Neil Young (a genius), followed by Keef Richards (also a genius of sorts. Both totally unique.

10. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    If I have to pick ONE it would be Billy Corgan. Mostly because of his songwriting and recording techniques. I find Siamese Dream era SP to be deeply inspirational.

basher likes this.

11. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Australia
    Only one, top of the head instinctual answer : Johnny ******* Marr

btheblue and basher like this.

12. PonyExpress

PonyExpress TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    Interesting thread.

I was surprised at how many names I didn't know. I was always a listen to the melody and the rhythm guy not the lyrics so much and not so concerned with the names of band members

and surprised how long it took until clapton was named. Also surprised that there wasn't much love for EVH. Talk about a monster innovator!

some names I didn't see were Stanley Jordan, Jeff Healy, and Roy Clark.

Clapton was once asked what it felt like to be the greatest guitar payer (alive or ever. not sure which) and he replied "I don't know, I'm not Prince).

But I digress. The first name that popped into my head when I read the OP question was

Eric Clapton and a few seconds later SRV. Always wonder what kind of things he would have come up with it he had not left us.

But its still Clapton for me.

brookdalebill likes this.

13. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2011
    USA
    Lately it’s Bob Weir.

Ex-riverman likes this.

14. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

My first thought was Danny Gatton. Then players like Scotty Anderson, Junior Watson, Jim Campilongo, Stochelo Rosenberg and Ted Greene popped into my head.

Pixies2005 likes this.

15. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    If we're talking rock, 60's era Clapton for me, starting with the Beano album and ending with Layla. Lots of other guitarists that have already been mentioned are also important to me, but that era of Clapton is part of my DNA.

16. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    Well i like to many guitarist to mention, just a music fan really and what catches my ear. But one i admire as a player is Shawn Lane, he keeps me at my practise trying to perfect his licks and speed, but i like to try with others so always searching new styles and licks.

17. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2017
    Luton UK
    He was amazing this man! it seems that if a good player has a disabillity they try a little harder and come up trumps. It was the same with Shawn Lane, he had joint trouble most of his playing life, i know for me reading about these players has help me alot to keep going.

18. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Id have to go with SRV. He was a great singer and singwriter. His sound is unique and you cant really copy it. His songs are catchy, moving and fun to listen to. His technical abilities are amazing. He had the whole package.

19. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    The man in my avatar - Mark Knopfler. Just understated perfection.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.