Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who's really your number 1 guitarist for reals?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Aug 30, 2017.

1. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    Hi there ...

Big plus for the already mentioned ... Rory Gallagher, Peter Green, Richard Thompson, Pete Townsend and Dave Davies.

But, my pick is for someone probably best known as everyones side-man - Andy Fairweather Low - probably the most under-rated guitarist still out there. The fact he's worked with so many big names ... If ever you get the chance go to one of his shows ... they're not just about the "nostalgia hits" but a tour de force of Blues and Rock and even a bit of Jazz.

But ... would also like to reference ... Two guys who nearly always get left out of these threads, how about ... Paul Kossoff (albeit early days) and Mick Ronson (of the Spiders/Dylan etc not the modern producer guy)! Not to mention Hound Dog Taylor, Bert Jansch, Paul Simon, Hank Marvin or even Steve Marriot in his Humble Pie days?

Also, just to show I'm not completely stuck in the past - Kiran Leonard, Ryley Walker and Feist! (But especially Ryley Walker)

Am I right ... you know I am ... :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017

2. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    I’m an old punk/ post-punk rocker. The Clash changed my teenage life when I was 17, so there are plenty of players, Jones/Strummer included, that I love from that era. I also love the Blues (for similar elemental reasons as Punk,) and based on that and the t-shirt I’m wearing in my avatar photo, you might think it’s Peter Green.
    But gun to the head, I’ve gotta say Robert Fripp is my guy.
    He’s one of the few, maybe *the* one, of his era who truly got what was going on musically on the fringes in the late ‘70s early ‘80s and dove in head-first. The Prog progenitor with Indie cred.
    I came into his music through his session work during those early Punk/New Wave years. His solos on Blondie’s “Fade Away and Radiate” and on Bowie’s “Fashion” and “Teenage Wildlife” blew me away. And those gorgeous, dense, soaring washes of ambient feedback on “Heroes?” Fughetaboutit!
    I bought his solo albums and then he launched the “Discipline” era King Crimson and my musical world was rocked for a second time at 20. I worked backwards into the Crimson catalog from there.
    While I can’t begin to approach his discipline and musical mastery or insight, I honestly can’t think of another player (maybe Jimmy Page at a distant second) who has influenced me more across a greater stylistic range than Robert Fripp. That he is, at once, an iconoclast and an utter geek doesn’t hurt!

3. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I think Wes Montgomery stands head and shoulders above everyone - not only because of his incredible chops but because his musicality was also unbelievable.

Every Wes solo is like a spontaneous symphonic composition with a harmonic sense that rivals somebody like Ellington.

grooveiron likes this.

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

5. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    Hinterlands, USA
    David Gilmour.

Matchless on guitar...but there's more...

He's not just great on guitar, but a writer of legendary songs.

And, not just legendary songs, but he's been key to legendary albums (plural), from a legendary band...over decades!

Before MTV, watching The Wall was a rite of passage. A movie where the visuals were the background for the soundtrack.

He doesn't need a lot of notes...one simple lick from the right guy can move people to tears.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Lol, I know Billy Zoom doesn't move around much when playing electric, it looks like he's moving much less when playing acoustic.

mnutz likes this.

7. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    Most of all these guys mentioned are much younger than me. Even Clapton etc is only a few years older and not really much of an influence. There's a whole lot of 50s guitarists that have influenced me. However the one that got me interested in PLAYING guitar (instead of sax) was Chet Atkins. His melodic leads made me see guitar as something other than part of the Rhythm Section.

trev333 likes this.

8. Sean_D

Sean_D Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    If I am just listening to music the guitarist is Dean DeLeo (STP) followed closely by Kim Thyal (Soundgarden), Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), and Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine not the other projects).

As far as playing goes... I have been working on connecting emotionally with what I'm playing and phrasing. So influence wise right now it is between Joe Walsh and Billy Gibbons

So, my formal answer is ....

Joe Walsh.

Chip, Minimalist518 and mnutz like this.

9. viper007

viper007 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2014
    Sweden

10. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I am old school and have never really remembered the names of guitarist in bands. I originally thought Clapton but then when I considered it if I am going for a drive on a Hot Summer Night, no, no, no, not Meatloaf, in my wife's convertible I drop the Best of the Allman Brothers into the CD player so Duane.

11. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10

12. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    Favorite is a tough ask. I'll throw out Lightning Hopkins in terms of how important he was to my development as a player. Guys like Robert Johnson, Leadbelly and Blind Lemon Jefferson were my early guitar idols, but a lot of what they did was so hard to figure out and capture the feel of. It didn't stop me from trying, but in the days before tab and the internet you were pretty much on your own. Alternate tunings and varying recording speeds and quality made it very hard to figure out what was going on in a lot of the prewar Blues that sparked my early playing.

Lightning Hopkins was the first Blues guy that I could easily identify exactly what he was doing. His style was very accessible for me and fit with my strengths as a guitarist. It opened up a lot for me and led me into early Chicago Blues. I've been able to go back and figure out all those old blues tunes since then, and most of those "secrets" have been unlocked now, but Lighting is still the Bluesman I feel I owe the most to. I'm glad I got to see him before he passed.

Minimalist518 likes this.

13. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    I have been hammered elsewhere for saying Ace is perhaps the most influential guitarist of the rock era. 'Most influential' doesn't equate to 'best'. But the number of 7-12 year olds who saw KISS and picked up a guitar....

xafinity and basher like this.

14. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    Gary Clark Jr. He couldn't fake it if he tried.

15. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Jeff Beck. I find his latterday musicality really hits the spot

trouserpress likes this.

16. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2010
    San Dimas
    Joey Santiago from the Pixies

17. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Although I consider Jimi Hendrix to be hands down the best rock guitarist who ever lived, the one whose playing speaks to me on a near molecular level is Neil Young.

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2010
    Arlington TX
    Edit for update: It turns out I CAN'T really play the bass solo from Zap convincingly anymore. And this weeks favorite acoustic folk guitarist is Monte Montgomery.

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I have been playing guitar for 50 years now and Chet, Tommy Emmanuelle and Mark Knopfler come to mind.

IMHO MK plays all styles with grace, finesse and is simply a standout as he does not play in a singular style.
    Cceck out a PBS youtube on chet ( circa 1986 ) and you can see the mutual admiration and Chet's fondness for MK's playing ( although " I'll See You in my Dreams" Chet is mind blowingly great- MK looks in shock- I show that to people to show how good a guitarist can be. Yes I have seen John Williams and Julian Bream as well.
    IMHO MK plays his OWN style ( Sultans of Swing etc.), Romeo and Juliet, Walk of Life and Money for Nothing. That's a range of styles and he's up there with Chet.

20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Mine too. just an amazing player.

brookdalebill likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.