Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who's really your number 1 guitarist for reals?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    its a tie...steve jones/johnny ramone

Minimalist518 likes this.

2. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 19, 2016
    S.F. Bay Area

3. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Jerry Garcia. Hits all the main facets for me: technique, creativity, innovation, improvisation, songwriting and the emotional/nostalgia factors are also a big influence on my decision. His unabashed pursuit of better technique, new technology and new sounds make me love him more.

a_pidgeon, moosie, Reggie77 and 5 others like this.

4. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Perth WA

5. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    It changes depending. I'm currently quite impressed with Julian Lage:

Here with another favorite, Nels Cline:

brookdalebill and rjtwangs like this.

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Dang. This is a tough one.

Most days I would say Jimmie Vaughan. No, wait--Billy Gibbons...well, hang on a second--Tab Benoit...but, Buddy Whittington always turns my key every time I see him play...then again, Muddy Waters always inspires me...can't count out Keef...or Waylon...and then Hubert Sumlin has to be mentioned...or Freddie King...also--

You see, my tastes, mood, inclination, heart, mind and soul can count more than one player as my #1...I'm complicated like that.

brookdalebill and blowtorch like this.

7. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Steve Rothery. So Many great samples to choose from, but this tune is 30 years old, and the solo still sends a chill down my spine.

grooveiron and Tootone like this.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    so, wishy-washy. got it. :)

Seriously, you guys who can't answer the question, just haven't really done the soul searching, I think. Which is okay, personally it took me years of pondering to figure it out.

Minimalist518 likes this.

9. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    For me it's a toss up between Dylan & Elmore James.

Dylan, cuz he's who inspired me to start playing guitar.

Elmore, cuz, once I started playing, for the longest time all I wanted to do was that Elmore thing, and he's the one I go back and listen to obsessively over & over. The sound and the feeling of what he did are for me a pinnacle of musical expression. The endless subtle variations he put on his famous lick--the one that has gotten him pigeon-holed as a one-lick wonder--are astonishing. Nobody else has been able to do one thing so many different ways and besides, he really did a lot of fantastic playing beyond that one lick.

Minimalist518 and rjtwangs like this.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Jerry Garcia

Bill Frisell

Chip likes this.

11. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    So many great ones, but when it comes down to one, it's always been this guy for me.

12. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    Steve Kimock!

grooveiron and Ron R like this.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2010
    Arlington TX
    Like a bunch of people here, I vary all the time. But I think the most common top seats are:

Stevie Ray Vaughn - A (VERY) distant cousin of some kind of mine. I never could quantify how we're related. I just know that I ran into his mom at a family reunion. He was the guy who most tied blues and rock together for me.
    Eric Johnson - The busiest bass solo I ever learned note for note was from Zap. I will have to try it when I get home to see if I can still play it. I love every note on Tones and Ah Via Musicom.
    Jeff Beck - Again: Duh. Who isn't amazed by Beck? But for me it's because he does all that stuff fingerstyle only. I am a fingers only guy. But I don't sound like him.
    Mark Knopfler - Another fingerstyle guy that I wish I could play like.
    Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks - either/and/or both. In my head, my imaginary band often sounds like the Allmann Brothers.
    Then there are any number of acoustic folk guys I wish I could play like: This week it's Tom Prasada-Rao. Last week it was David Wilcox. Before that, it was Tuck Andress. Who knows who it'll be next week?

14. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    e3eacf5a5d13d357c3be2a2376548400--terry-kath-terry-oquinn.jpg Terry Kath!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    trouserpress, 8barlouie and TigerG like this.

15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I AM NOT!
    Well, maybe I am a little...
    But no, I really can't be classified as wishy-washy...
    But there are times that I guess I could be...:p

I reserve deep soul-searching for things of actual consequence. Music is very important to me, but things like #1 guitarist or most important type of effects pedal or which company makes the best replacement knob for amplifiers are of too little consequence to occupy my brain for very long...plus, as I mentioned in my original post, my mood, circumstances and mindset will influence any and all of those decisions--thus why I own more than one guitar and why I listed more than one #1 guitarist...all those guys inspire me in different ways, and all my guitars inspire me in different ways as well.

I've only recently (in the past four or five years) narrowed down which guitar I would grab if there were a fire...which is of greater consequence than which guitar hero of mine is most important.

JustABluesGuy and moosie like this.

16. flatcat

flatcat TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Detroit

17. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN

18. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Have not seen one guitarist on this list who I wouldn't say is a favourite of mine, but my all time absolute favourite is Brian May. (And Ry Cooder, and Eric Clapton, and B B King, and Danny Gatton). But Brian May - sydney entertainment centre, April, 1985 - the Brighton Rock solo... ending on Waltzing Matilda... man...

brookdalebill likes this.

19. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    For better or worse, I can trace the guiding principle of my soloing straight back to Ace: Don't bother doing something complicated or intellectual if there's something cool or flashy you can do instead.

MilwMark likes this.

20. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Ya, when you play, if I close my eyes I'd swear it was you.

Chester Burnett likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.