Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who's really your number 1 guitarist for reals?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by blowtorch, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    For sheer tasteful playing its got to be Jimmy Capps for me.
    Then Tommy Emanuel, Vince Gill, Mark Knopfler and the late Chet Atkins.. S

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska

3. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    If you have a no 1 guitarist you've missed the point. Its about music. Its like having a favorite steeringwheel.
    Unless the guitarist is interesting beause of other reasons. Eg great songwriter, integrety, humor, all around nice guy... Well you get the point (hopefully)

moosie likes this.

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Lerxst will always be right up there but I went to a Walter Trout gig last weekend and he was brilliant. I've got a couple more gigs lined up for next year - Steven Wilson (guitarist is Guthrie Govan) and also Sonny Landreth.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Hendrix... I'll go to months listening to other stuff.. yeah, nice, clean, impressive technical or melodic playing... but then I'll put some old live Hendrix Experience stuff on and be the 14 year old kid who's life was knocked completely off course by his Live at Albert Hall LP.

Talk about being able to ride the storm. Completely other level of connection between the soul and the sound.

moosie likes this.

6. Besquire

Besquire TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2017
    DE

7. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    I guess in all the years I've been playing I've heard some wonderful guitarists in many genres, though Robert Fripp always seemed to be coming from a different perspective than the rest and always made me stop and pay attention to what he was doing.

Omiewise65 likes this.

8. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Not sure reals is a real word?

9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    There's a Jimmy Capps instrumental he cut when he was a young fella called Road Hog that I think is outstanding...great song and perfect Tele tone, every bit as good as Buckaroo imo. Too bad they took it off Youtube. :(

10. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Aug 12, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    If it MUST be just one it is Richard Thompson. His playing is always working in the context of the song rather than trying to be flash or whatever. In the over-30 years I have been listening to him his music has changed a fair bit, but his guitar playing has always be "right".
    There are others who also do the same thing - Mike Campbell, Ian Moss, and (some) Robbie Robertson. Also hard not to think of Duane Allman, Steve Gaines and Mark Knopfler.
    I also have a lot of time for Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass and Martin Taylor, and I guess my own playing style is mostly leaning in that direction (though not the skill).

Teddyjack, a_pidgeon and tbb007 like this.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    For real I don't have one. I hear good playing all over the place, in all sorts of styles and genres. Lots of times I hear great playing in genres I don't especially like. Lots of times I hear playing that isn't technically great, but is so tasteful and effective that I admire it even thought it's "easy." I have players I like but often it's because they push me technically rather than I love their music. So I can't find a number one in there

Probably my favorite musicians are not guitar players, partly because I listen to them with less of the "can I/should I do that?" going on.

Omiewise65 likes this.

12. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    My first favorite guitar player was Mike McCready from Pearl Jam. His playing made me pick up the guitar, and I taught myself to play by playing along with their albums.

Another favorite would be Nels Cline from Wilco. Just an astounding guitar player, an absolute genius-wizard.

My newest favorite is J Mascis. Somehow I went 30 years of life without discovering Dinosaur Jr until this past summer. His playing is right in my wheelhouse; distorted, melodic, and dynamic.

Omiewise65 likes this.

13. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2009
    Bavarian Iller Delta
    Mick Jones , then Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood ! And of course Maury Muehleisen !

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

14. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    Sweden

15. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2013
    Oregon

16. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    How can anyone nail it to just one?

My top five are Rory Gallagher, Jimi Hendrix, Keef Richards, Eric Clapton and someone most here have never heard of - an Australian Roots Blues artist, Jeff Lang.

richiek65 likes this.

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    This many posts to get to Jimi?!
    What is this world coming to?
    Put on Are You Experienced and listen in the context of everything that came before.

moosie likes this.

18. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Thinking if I had to pick it would be Django

Flakey and brookdalebill like this.

19. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    There is so many. You've got to love Danny Gatton.

Mjark likes this.

20. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    If it has to be just one ..........

It is still Lonnie Mack for me.

But there are soooooooo many !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.