Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who's making a decent P-90?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bottlenecker, Jul 10, 2018 at 3:02 PM.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    All those changes were made to the design because people were looking for something different or companies trying to make a slow moving product more desirable or cheaper to make.

Some people like the ceramic magnet pickups. I'm usually not one of those people, but I have one guitar with them that I like the tone of them. As far as the overwound pickups go, that's just personal tastes. I don't like highly overwound pickups much. but sometimes a slight overwound is a good thing.

I listen to a lot of sound samples and videos before I buy pickups and usually from the guy playing in his bedroom - clean - without any effects and recording alterations to doctor the product. Those can be hard to find, but they're out there if you look hard enough. Good luck.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I agree with the idea that almost any P90 that has an Alnico magnet and wound in the 7.5k to 8.5k range should do the trick. I suspect you'll hear more differences from the case, metal or plastic, than the price tag or the manufacturer's mojo.

Teleposer likes this.

3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    Seymour Duncan alvwaysmakes great P90s.

Mincer and MilwMark like this.

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    Rob DiStefano. They are called Huge Lion and Humongous Lion but they strongly resemble regular single coils in appearance.
    ;)

lineboat likes this.

5. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    I have a smallish collection of Gibson Juniors and Specials, from 1956 to present day Customs. I also have a 'Limited Edition' Epiphone Korina Junior. All of these have the either original fifties P90s, later Gibson P90s, Lollar P90s, or SD Antiquity P90s. I happen to like all of those P90 pickups, and especially the older Gibson dog ears.

The P100s (disguised as P90s) that often cropped up on various 1990's Specials were quickly disposed of. These were humbuckers anyway, and weren't invited to the party. An easy switch over thank goodness.

I know there are many other makers producing excellent P90s, but I have hands on knowledge of only the ones mentioned above. Can't go wrong with any of them!

lineboat and bottlenecker like this.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    The more I think about it, you might want to try a guitar with Lollars in a shop. To me, they are very "polite" and "hifi" p90s.

Don't get me wrong, all p90s are articulate. But the Lollars are missing that throaty character (very descriptive term, I know) that pushes an amp a bit, IME.

The Gibson alnico Slug p90 that came in the 2015 LP Jr's might also be a good choice. Like the Lollars, they are a little brighter and more "direct" to my ear. Less complexity overall.

bottlenecker likes this.

7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I'm sure they're nice tele pickups for rock players. I have a cavalier bakersfield in my tele. I'm looking for more than just mids out of a P-90, though.

8. dead mike

dead mike TDPRI Member

Huge Lion won’t get the P90 sound.

You guys ever try the old Guild Franz pickups? They’re pretty impressive

bottlenecker likes this.

9. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK

Something like this maybe?

http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=X 90 alnico

Ceramic version for nearly half the price?

http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=X 90 ceramic

I've got the ceramic one in my Revelation Jazzmaster and it is an absolute killer pickup.

10. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    Talk to Zhangbucker about his Jazz 90s. If they're not exactly what you want, he'll make it happen.

11. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Indeed. The magnets make a difference, but pretty much any vintage wind P90 with A5s is gonna sound good. I've got a Chinese made Eastwood LP Special that I swapped the magnets in, and it easily hangs with my Gibson.

Zepfan likes this.

12. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I'm going with the bootstraps. $45 a set, and they're not even outsourced? This guy won't be giving away his work this cheap for long. I like that there's more info than sales pitch on the site, and good endorsements here of the winder's competency. A5, vintage wind, rwrp, and wound in ohio for less than popular outsourced cheap brands. I couldn't ask for a better answer to my question.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Epiphone.
    I have a pair in a guitar I bought new for $99.
    They sound great.
    Really.
    Use the right amp.
    Tweed is good.

bottlenecker and gkterry like this.

14. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    I had a 2009 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul '56 with P90s (had to sell to buy other gear sadly) and they sounded great- clear fat & punchy.

15. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    I agree. The Epi P90s have a magical sound to them.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Have you played many p90s? I'd be a little leery of non-adjustable pole pieces myself, but it might work and the investment is small.

I wonder what "deliver iconic chugging P90 tone, but are cleaner and more articulate" means. I hope you report back!

17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Epiphone Pros

Yep I am serious.....

18. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Something to do with palm muting and mesa half stacks? I don't know. I skip over the rock-speak and look for hardware and process descriptions. I like that they have an overwound version that's separate, so I can just avoid that one. Some people overwind everything.

I've played some P-90s. My main guitar has a Kay "kleenex box" on it, which is like a bit less mid forward P-90 with adjustable poles. I don't think adjustable poles matter much on a 12" radius though.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    When they do them right they are. Unfortunately, they released some seriously overwound ones (12k+) that aren't as nice.

gkterry likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.