Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who's making a decent P-90?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bottlenecker, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I have Seymour Vintage P90s in my Liekki. I don't have a basis to compare them except for occasional LP Junior playing, but they are really nice, strong treble and bitey. Clean up with volume backed off, then crank em for solos. They sing with controllable feedback but don't squeal.

ad_1529728472095.jpg

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Those look like "staple" versions. early Les Paul Customs had them.

Gibson and Lollar both make sets currently.

bottlenecker likes this.
  3. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I'm going to guess he is not using Lindy Fralins

bgmacaw, bottlenecker and nojazzhere like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I have used recent (last 15 years) Gibson's and to me they are the best out there. Others may be good. I had a Lollar I liked, but Gibson's are usually available resonable and just great for me.

bottlenecker likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Just bought another set of Gibbys on line... like new, $130 shipped for the pair. They used to be common at $100 for the pair. Haven't looked until recently though and just decided to pull the trigger rather than mess around.

6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Maybe he knew Lindy's grandpa.

7. vandycaster

vandycaster TDPRI Member

Feb 14, 2010
    dog house-southern wi
    Lollar!!!!!!!

tonyj and lineboat like this.
  8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I’m a big Lollar fan. They just have a hint of something that the others don’t. Fralins and Gibson’s are great too, but the Lollar just has a little something extra in there. I have one coming from Bodean over on the Strat forum. If it’s anything like his Strat pickups, it’ll be impressive. I’m kinda excited to try it!

Find some used Lollar, Fralin or Gibson’s on Reverb. You’ll be happy with any of them.

tonyj likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Please don't think because the price is reasonable that you're "settling".....Bootstraps are an incredible pickup.....

bottlenecker likes this.
  10. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Here are two great choices:

1. Rumpelstiltskin——Aaron will wind you whatever you want and whatever wind you want at a reasonable price. Dude is a master winder. They are vintage sounding.

2. Gotoh KMS Old P90s That Peavey put in their USA Firenza. Very low wind. Both under 6k but they sound incredible and vintage. Best part ? Peavey sells them for about $40 a piece.

bottlenecker likes this.
  11. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2015
    blu ridge mtn cabin
    Pete Biltoft/Vintage Vibe makes great p90's. At least they
    work great in my big jazz guitar. When I got mine he was
    sending them with 2 sets of magnets.

I got A5's and A2's ended up with A5's neck and mixed A5/A2
    bridge.

bottlenecker likes this.
  12. dead mike

dead mike Tele-Meister

Everyone!

Zepfan likes this.
  13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Reverend built their reputation with their original p-90 loaded, USA built guitars...those pickups are typically;

Bridge
    Raw, classic tone, but wound slightly hotter and thicker sounding than a vintage P90, making it perfect for the bridge position. 43 gauge wire, alnico 5 magnets, 13K ohms.

Middle/Neck
    Slightly cleaner than a vintage P90, with clear, open tone. Middle pickup is RWRP for hum-cancelling when used with bridge or neck pickups. 42 gauge wire, alnico 5 magnets, 7.5K ohms.

bottlenecker likes this.
  14. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Vineham makes great P-90s. Several flavors are available. Ships very quickly too!

bottlenecker likes this.
  15. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Yes to this.
    Who isn't making a good P90? would've be the easier question. It's really hard to mess up a P90.
    There are some subtle differences in P90 versions that make them sound somewhat different. Fixed position pole pieces, Staple poles, round adjustable poles, adjustable screw poles, low wind, vintage wind, slightly overwound, hot overwound, ceramic magnets and a variety of Alnico magnet offerings.

Fearnot, Jakedog, beyer160 and 3 others like this.
  16. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

A lot of those options you listed sound like ways to screw up a P-90 to me (especially overwinding and ceramic magnets). As people make more changes to the original recipe, it's inevitably in the service of rock players, and I'm not into distorted midrangey lead guitar sounds. I appreciate all the responses though. It's good to know what's out there.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I've never heard anybody seriously complaining about any P90s, no matter how cheap, other than the obvious noise issues.

Which isn't the case for strat and tele pickups, or humbuckers.

dead mike and bgmacaw like this.
  18. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Geez, I thought I just did.

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    In theoretical terms. And some of those are not really P90s, just the same casing.

I haven't seen many underwound/overwound P90s. Only the humbucking ones, which are not P90s.

What I was trying to say, no one has problems with cheapies like Artec or Epiphone.

No one has problems with expensive ones like Lollars.

Some people hate Gibson ones, although I'm not sure the reasons have anything to do with sound.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  20. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Gibson's are good even if a little one dimensional. However they have all the mid-forward grunt that one usually wants in a p90.

My favorite is the Duncan Antiquity. Still has the grunt of the Gibson, but is a little more 3-D like and more high end. Definitely the best vintage style p90 out there. About the only one's I haven't tried are the Throbak's. Incidentally, I have Throbak magnet's in a pair of my Duncan Antiquities. Those are REALLY sweet pickups.

Alaman and Mincer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.