Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who's making a decent P-90?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bottlenecker, Jul 10, 2018.

1. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Is there something like Cavalier for P-90s?
    I'd love to have the option of choosing specific versions. I'm looking for a bright, clear sounding Merle Travis kind of sound, and I'm guessing there are versions with more winds to get that mid heavy rock lead sound some people like.
    What's out there for traditional original style P-90s?

They're going to go on a 1980 Ibanez artist, with a bigsby b7.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Bootstrappickups.com Ryan shows soapbars on his website, might do dogears if needed. I've never tried his P-90s, but if they're made with the same quality and skill as his Palo Duro Tele pups (and I bet they are) they're probably awesome.....and at a reasonable price.

BB and bottlenecker like this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
  4. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Thanks! I can always buy dogear covers.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Tonerider make some very good P90;s .I have used them on a PRS and found them good and toneful

lineboat, bottlenecker and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    OK before I get flamed I like cheap pups, I got a pair of Wilkensons for a steal and they are deceptively good. I think I paid less than $50 for the pair.

chemobrain, lineboat, CFFF and 2 others like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Wilkinsons are probably really good....the Bootstrap set is $44.99 plus shipping on website....and I like supporting a guy making stuff in his garage.;)

lineboat, El Tele Lobo, CFFF and 2 others like this.
  8. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Are you using recent Gibson P-90s? What kind of music do you play, and how do you like them?

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2015
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    One name, Sanford Magnetics. never heard such a clean sounding P90. I had a set for a while and it was ... too clean, in my PRS SE.

10. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Those Bootstrap P90s are high on my want list right now. The Fender-style magnetic poles should make it more articulate than the typical P90. Then again, maybe that's not what you want...

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. rze99

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Yep. A few incl. Custom Shop True Historic R4 Goldtop, SG Classic.... made in the last 8 years. Exact same pickup. No special winds.

Music played - broad range, own stuff plus covers REM, Jayhawks, Counting Crows, Teenage Fanclub, Sheryl Crow, Del Amitri, Elvis Costello, Gin Blossoms. Electric Americana.

It matters (to me at least) that you use a '50s wiring loom that retains top end as you roll off the volume. Keeps a silvery sweet top end. Full belt, you get slice, dice and spice.

Full declaration. I also have a Junior with a Lindy Fralin P90 a '50s wind, I think, which is also lovely.

But really, the Gibbo is the real deal, the rest is in the tiny margins and for the sniffers.

deadbeat son and Fearnot like this.
  12. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I just got a set of Vintage Vibe P90s as an upgrade for the stock pickups in my Modern Player tele thinline. I like 'em a lot - Pete Bitloff sells them with a choice of four or five different magnets and includes a second set of your choosing - they're theoretically user swappable, although I probably won't try it. I got a really vintage sounding setup but he gives you options to go from really warm, lower output to really hot ceramic setups. I wasn't all that specific other than wanting a warmer vintage sound, but i think if you talk to him and know what you want he can configure them for you...

-Ray

bottlenecker and nojazzhere like this.
  13. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

I just want this:

But being on a les paul type, it won't be that, so... I won't really be that picky as long as they're not overwound.

FerruleCat, preactor and nojazzhere like this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Gibson aftermarket pickups are expensive. Last I looked a Gibson p90 (can't recall dogear or soapbar) was like $140 ish whereas a Duncan Antiquity was maybe $110? Hard to say going with the Duncan is cork-snifffery. Those Antiquities are as vintage as they get. I have one in the neck of my Tele and converted my Strat to two Antiquity p90s. Mean and sweet. Tons of high end.

Mincer, bottlenecker and rze99 like this.
  15. rze99

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I don't buy replacement pickups new I buy used so I do t worry about price. Be patient.

lineboat and bottlenecker like this.
  16. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Not sure about that. The price may vary a lot depending on the seller, but here it's the opposite: the Gibson soapbar is priced under 100€ ($ almost the same) just like the regular Duncans, whereas the Antiquity is about 150...

17. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I've got a Duncan Custom Shop Antiquity P-90 that sounds amazing. I've got a set of $45.00 Artec vintage wind P-90's that are real good...especially for the price. Zhangbucker winds some fantastic P-90's and will wind em to your specs.

If I was buying a set today, Ryan at Bootstrap would get the nod. I have not tried them, but if they are anywhere near as good as his strat and tele pups.....drop the mic...er, pickup.

Mincer, nojazzhere and bottlenecker like this.
  18. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Yeah that's what I just saw online. I'm not in a rush, so if some Gibson's come up for a steal I won't turn my nose up at them, but it's looking like the bootstraps.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Wilkinson... Just so good in a 3x P90 have.

Immediately killed all my ideas of getting any ‘boutique’ P90.

20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Lol, I get my fix for $15/pair

I got started in P90s with these (not this seller, these pickups -- look for construction details in this or other listings) I get these before chasing any boutique brands.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=263470501858
    There are others out there that are put together with silicone caulk that while they work they are uninspiring.

The bootstrap guy has a good story, but haven't tried those yet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.