Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who's into T-Rex effects?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by wulfenganck, May 7, 2016.

1. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Well....the title says it: who's into T-Rex effects?

I have a Gull Wah and a T-Rex Tonebug Booster in my main pedalboard.

I was never that much into wah wahs until I was able to buy a Gull Wah for a nice price on ebay - well, the fact that I bought a second one as a back-up says all, I guess.....awesome pedal.
    I mainly use the wah2 setting and sometimes the yoy-yoy which is a pretty unique effect. Boost knob around 10.00 o'clock and scoop knob around ca. 5 to 12.00 works fine for me.
    Since using the Gull we do more and more 70s funk and soul stuff....I'm more into clean and subtle crunch sounds, I find the heavy overdrive Kirk-Hammett-settings a bit....pretentious and somehow un-dynamic - but I'm not into heavy overdrive/distortion anyway, I just can't "work" with the metal-scoop tone, it sounds dead and sterile to me.

The Tonebug pedals were designed as a sort of low-budget pedal series (well compared to the usual T-Rex pricerange, that is).
    I had the Overdrive but that somehow didn't respond to well with my amp - too noisy compared to other overdrive pedals and a loud "click" when activated.
    But the Booster is very low-noise and effective, I use it in my effect loop to have a solo/lead-boost; the scoop knob adds even more versatility to cut through the mix.

I also have a T-Rex Reptile (first series) on my back-up pedalboard.
    It would definitely be on my main bard, but my TC Nova Delay with it's presets and the quarter and eights note delays is just more versatile for live gigging.
    Still thinking about moving it to my main board 'though, because of the warm delay-tone and the great modulation-mode.....I actually like the modulation more than most chorus pedals I ever used....

So......what's your T-Rex pedal?

2. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2016
    Batavia, IL
    [​IMG]

Replica Echo and Twister 2. Both excellent.

wulfenganck likes this.

3. thatkeithmorris

thatkeithmorris TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Sep 19, 2013
    Carlisle, UK
    Tremster and a Tonebug Reverb. Both good.

4. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

I really dig my Whirly-Verb!

5. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm looking into getting the diva drive and Alberta 2

6. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I have the Reverb. It sounds good, but makes strange warbling noises all the time if the amp (an H&K) is set bright, so I have to put a buffer between it and the amp.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has encountered this.

7. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Got the Creamer reverb - very versatile, sounds great - though ultimately I like the EHx Holy Grail a tiny bit more, for its sweeter, more flamboyent reverb...

8. srinivassa

srinivassa Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I've got the Tonebug Reverb. I have to say, it's the best cheap verb I ever had. Never had any problems with it. Some people complain that the switch alters the tone, and maybe it does, but it sounds great! Anything that alters my tone in a positive way is ok with me.

9. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    I had the ToneBug reverb and thought it did the whole stand alone fender reverb tank quite well. I only sold it because I didn't need it any long as my new amp has reverb.

10. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Texas
    I have a Yellow Drive. It's a great dual overdrive for the money...

11. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

New to me is the T-Rex Soulmate. Great combination of some of their top effects. Overdrive, distortion, delay, reverb and a boost. Tap tempo and tuner are also included. Built like a tank and sounds very good in front of my Tweed Super amp.

wulfenganck likes this.

12. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    The Soulmate looks nice and well-thought.

13. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Used to have a Tonebug Reverb; cost next to nothing, but sounded like a lot more!

14. fuzzmullah

fuzzmullah TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Norway
    T-Rex Tremster; beautiful sounding tremolo pedal with bias tremolo sound. I have a bunch of other nice tremolo pedals (Rockett Josh Smith, EBS TremoLo, Red Witch Pentavocal, Danelectro Cool Cat, plus a few more), but most of them are blackface type (opto based) and the sound of the Tremster is just... lovely :)

For dirt: T-Rex Mudhoney. Extremely versatile - can go from mild overdrive to thick fuzz. It also sounds good in front of other drive/distortion pedals.

teleswisster likes this.

15. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

Yes, it´s very versatile. The OD is the Möller OD from T-Rex, the Distortion the Mudhoney. Meanwhile I paired it with the T-Rex Shafter wah and that´s all I need in a simple and small package. The Shafter can pe powered by the DC output of the Soulmate, very cool thing.

16. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have the Tunemaster, which may not seem like it should count, but it has a built in clean boost in buffered bypass mode. Smart design.

17. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Can you tell anything about the differences between the Gull and the Shafter? Except the colour they look completely the same and have the same controls as far as I can see.

18. teleswisster

teleswisster Tele-Meister

I've had my tremster for maybe 5 years. I love it. And I swear it improves the tone independent of the trem effect. Click it on and everything sounds more lush.

19. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

Sorry, but I never owned or tested a T-Rex Gull.

20. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    My T-Rex Alberta 2 arrived yesterday.
    A fine classic overdrive, that is two seperate fine overdrives for low up to midgain.
    Channel 1 has slightly more compression, whereas channel 2 has a bit more.....ring to it.
    They sound nice and warm, without the mid-hump of a lot of overdrives like the classic Tubescreamer.
    They cannot be stacked, but each channel is just a fine overdrive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.