Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Who uses 11s?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CaineIsCarter, Feb 13, 2017.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Back in the day, some archtop players had wound B strings!

GreatGaudy likes this.
  2. Mike Stone

Mike Stone TDPRI Member

May 26, 2016
    Gothenburg
    I use 11's on my Fenders tuned to E. usually D'Addario or EB. Don't feel too much difference between the brands. 11's feel like a good compromise for me, they're heavy enough for a fat clean "jazzy" tone and slinky enough for some bendy rock/blues playing. Tried to step back to 10's a while ago but my bends and vibrato ended up all over the place lol.
    I'm practicing/playing like 3-4 hrs every day so I guess my hands have gotten quite strong from that. I also do hand strength excersises with a stress ball. If I weren't playing as much as I do I'd use 10s.

Greenmachine likes this.
  3. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

11's on my Pro Jet and my AS83, 10's on my Tele.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    One of the machines is set with them, but I can't remember which.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I see that in post #49, I said I use 11's on both my tele and my Dot. I use wound thirds on both, too. But I just setup my tele again today, this time with 10's. I played a tele with 10's the other day at Corner Music, and I thought, "Hmmm, this doesn't actually feel that bad. I might be able to keep these under control without them swimming all over the place." I've just been playing through my amp with them, and the sound is less congested than with the 11's. More defined but also less powerful. The 10's make you play a little more precisely and with a little more touch in the fretting hand. I think I like them on the tele. We'll see. But I'm sticking with 11's on my Dot, for sure.

7. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    I use 11s on my partscaster tele (plain G), Godin A6 Ultra (wound G) and on an acoustic gypsy jazz guitar.

8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
  9. ajdlc

ajdlc Tele-Meister

May 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    dr pure blues 11's, here, john pearse bronze and silk 11's on my acoustic. I like having similar tension on the finger picking since light strings are harder to control the dynamics of for me playing with my fingers. Sometimes wish I could bend and shake up two whole tones like I can on thinner strings, but just had to make a compromise.

10. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I like 11s for my b string!

Tim S and Manual Slim like this.
  11. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy

I use exactly the same strings! ;)

12. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    11-52- the perfect tele set!

13. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    11-52 on all my rosewood board teles!

14. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I recently moved to 11's on my Tele and I as soon as I get around to it, I'll change 'em on the Strat too. 12's flatwound on the Peavey semi-holllow.
    After playing my acoustic like crazy with 13's, it seemed like the only sensible thing to do.

WindowSills likes this.
  15. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've been using GHS Boomers 11-50 on my Tele for a long time (probably 10+ years).

I play in a trio, and feel like it gives me a bit of a fuller sound, although that may just be psychological!

I definitely feel like I have to work the strings though, but I guess my style is to more aggressively attack, so I can really dig in. Plus, I rarely break strings any more.

Cheers,
    Doug

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been using mostly D'Addario EXL 11-49s on my Telecasters for about 10 years. A 24.75 scale guitar (Melody Maker) gets 12-54s, some of my Esquires get 12s, and when I use 10s it is mostly on Strats (with trems). I find it harder to set up a Strat with a tremolo with 11s and I tend to just slam or deck the trem.

I keep meaning to set up a Tele or 2 with Nashville Sets, but I seem to walk out of the store empty handed. Maybe I'll stop in Nashville next time and get a better reception for this request than I get in Memphis or New Orleans.

17. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    My bolt-on neck guitars (American Standard Telecaster, Parker Nite Fly) get D'Addario or Ernie Ball .10-.46s. My set neck guitars (Gibson SG Special, SG Standard, SG Deluxe, Rickenbacker 330. Rickenbacker 325, DeArmond S73, etc.) get either D'Addario .11-.49s or Ernie Ball .11-48s.
    My semi-hollows all get .11s.

I've tried as heavy as .13s on my SGs. The tone was great but the .13s tore up my fingers and killed my hands.

18. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    I have d'Addario Chrome 11-50's on 2 guitars, but I swap out the unbending G for a plain 19 (I gotta bend, ma!) I have Chrome 13's on a guitar tuned DGDGAD most of the time and I keep the wound G on there. Chromes last a looooong time!

19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    GHS Boomers 11-50. For the last 15 years. Nothing but feels right to me. I even tried GHS 10 1/2-48, Nope

20. kurtmanifest1

kurtmanifest1 Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2013
    Argentina
    I do but only on my AV52, the other teles get 10's

21. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    A guitar player on the gig tonight was playing an SG strung .013 - .062, standard tuning, lotsa bending and everything. He's a big guy, must have strong hands.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.