Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Who uses 11s?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CaineIsCarter, Feb 13, 2017.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    for the Gretsch? Thomastik-Infeld JS112, flats, $20/set -- expensive but sound great and last a long time

I also have them on my tele: they need to be man-handled, but they feel and sound great there, too

2. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    Ive got 2 teles set up with 11 & 12s. Jazz chords, chord comping. Both have Rosewood boards with 6000 fret wire, 10 radius. They feel like 10s, easy to play, no tension. Nice thick tones on both. D Addarios.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    What do you mean man-handled?

Really strike/hit the crap out of them?

I love that.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I gotta do something like this:

Buy a case of one type of strings, and try to set up, make them work, on my 4 6-string Teles. (My 12 is another story.)

I'm sick of buying strings one set at a time on an as-needed basis.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    sure, but I was thinking left-hand strength

Manual Slim likes this.
  7. Cellordin

Cellordin TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Flatwound 12s with wound 3rd here. Don't know if my action is lower than most, but I don't find them particularly "hard work" on the LH.

8. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2012
    Morgan, Vermont
    Every one of my guitars uses an .011. It just happens to be on the b string.

I use these. [​IMG]
    Why fight it

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Is this thread just for 11's or is it 11+? I have these on my G&L ASAT. Jazz town.

[​IMG]

boris bubbanov and darkwaters like this.
  10. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    I use 11-58s on my 7 string (tuned down a whole step), 10s on my Tele-esque (see avatar) and 9s on my SGs.

I've been told that this is the opposite approach, and I should put heavier gauge strings on the shorter scale guitars. The schecter 7 string has a 26.5" scale length.

11. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    When I first used 9s I had the same problem, notes would go sharp and not consistently for chords. Tried 11s on my SG and hated the feel of them so I went back to 10s for a while. Later I tried 9s again with the understanding that I would need to soften my touch and found that I loved them. My playing style improved over time because of this and now I can (intentionally) add some bend/vibrato with my fretting hand by just changing the amount of pressure my fingers use.

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  12. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

All Fenders get 11s. Only way to get them ringing and move that mass thru that single coil magnetic field. If its a tele that I do a lot of pedal steel type pulls I might use a set of TnTs Boomers if my hand is feeling a little weak, (getting older now). Teles with Bigsby's get a wound 3rd.

My L5 ces gets 11s flat wound with a wound 3rd. Acoustic archtops, Gibson J200 and Martin D 28 get 13s you need to get that top to vibrate anything less your just playing a shoebox.

My Rick 660 12 string I don't remember but I think 10s flat wound.

All guitars get D'adario string.

13. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I use 12's on all my guitars, as a B string.

14. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Been doing it all my life! But again, I started playing bass for 5 years before I picked up a guitar and John Entwhistle was my hero and, well to play the My Generation solo, The Real Me and 5:15 correctly, you need to be able to pull strings! :) My left hand has a 6 fret span on a regular scale of a Fender P bass in the middle of the neck. When my wife started to teach me piano she was so mad that I had no problem doing octaves with my left had.:p

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  15. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    Texas
    Daddario 11-49's, though lately I've switched to Elixr 11-49's on a few guitars. Like em a lot, especially on a Tele.

16. Handley

Handley Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2012
    Fresno
    i use 11-49 on all these...

Telecaster
    Stratocaster
    Gretsch 6118 1993 Anniversary
    Les Paul Gold Top

I play acoustic a lot too so that probably impacts what my fingers expect to feel.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    FOURTEENERS?

dude

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd shake your hand but I'm afraid I'd crush it.

19. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fla
    Thanks to a few years of classical guitar lessons, I use 11s on all electrics ... 12s on acoustics.

20. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    Pffft. I use brake cables

Slidertom and Ira7 like this.
  21. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2017
    Maine
    I switch between .10s and .11s depending on what guitar i am using and what tuning i am using.....I primarily use Rotosound pure nickels......excellent tone and easier to bend than most....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.