Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Who uses 11s?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CaineIsCarter, Feb 13, 2017.

1. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Newcastle
    Was thinking about fitting them to my new Tele, as it feels like a superb chording guitar. I'm certainly no kind of shredder anyway but I think my Les Paul is for solos.

Only ever had 11s on a short scale Jaguar, on which they felt like 9s, and I normally use 10s on everything. How about you?

2. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Holic

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I always use 11s on my tele.

songtalk and JustABluesGuy like this.

3. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    present :)

Edit: i was on ernie ball 11-48, lately i've tried daddario nyxl 11-49, been on them ever since, less tension than on ernie balls, last generally longer, pricey altough

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Newcastle
    Were you previously a 10s man? Do you use 11s on all your guitars?

6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Holic

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Elevens here. Same on my Strat. I tried going as low as 9's but I just like the feel of 11's. I went to heavy gauges early on because they were supposed to offer better tone. I'm not so sure about that, but I'm used to them now.

I've gone as high as 12's in the past.

RevBillyG likes this.

7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Yep. Everything else feels like cobwebs to me. If the string doesn't wrestle back, it ain't fun! A bigger string seems to give me more attack angle, more bending leverage, etc. Plus, I tend to overpress my chords/notes, so I go sharp a lot if I use thinner strings.

Electric Mud and JustABluesGuy like this.

8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Im not sure that heavier guages improves tone, but to my ear it makes them sound "bigger". I tune to Eb so 10s are not a problem, but if I get really busy I'll go to 11s without any repercussions.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

9. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Holic

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    When I first started playing I used 8 & 9's, but have been using 11's at least since the late 90's. I put some 10's on a strat just to get a little extra jangle, but even then I used the heavy bottom set. There's a definite difference in feel going down to 10's, so I imagine theres a bit of an adjustment period, but I find the 11's plenty pliable for bends and whatever else. They just add some thickness to my ear.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Me.
    D'Addarrio NYXL 11-56.
    Love em'!

JustABluesGuy and brogh like this.

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    I normally use 10s on a Tele but have used 11s..I like the heavier gauge for jazz or rhythm..

JustABluesGuy and CaineIsCarter like this.

12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    11s. DR Pure Blues. Very nice strings.

PS: teles are sooo much for solos… even with 11s on. Try, and you’ll be rewarded ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

13. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2011
    Connecticut
    For a long time I was 11's on Gibson scale length guitars and 10's on Fender scale length guitars. I've very recently switched to 10 to 52 (LTHB) on everything for simplicity sake.

14. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I've tried them. Too much fighting for me. Tried 9's. Too floppy. I'm happy with my 10's.

Craig L and 8barlouie like this.

15. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    I use 11s on my teles, 12s on my strat. Used to use 13s on a couple of guitars but those days are over. To each his own, but I could never use 8s or 9s. They feel silly to me.

16. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

That would be me, unless I am in the mood for 12's.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I went from 10s to 11s on my Teles. I just like the feel. I like the sound too. I've read where a bigger string focuses more on the fundamental note and a smaller string on harmonics. Neither is better (or "bigger" sounding) but that hits my ear better.

Strangely, I assumed I'd like 12s (with unwound G) on my LP, given the scale length difference. But it seems I prefer .11s on that too. Go figure.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

18. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    Yup. On everything.

songtalk likes this.

19. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2017
    NE Indiana
    11-48 Ernies here. On everything.

songtalk likes this.

20. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    I use 11's or I'll use 10's and change the high e to an 11...

21. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I've used them on Gibbos but don't like them on Fenders with the exception of a guitar set-up purely for riff work. I have a Tele set up 11 to 52 and that sounds big for chord work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.