Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who plays short scale guitars and why?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WilburBufferson, Aug 6, 2010.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    As a bad player, I have no business going beyond the 12th fret anyway... :D so shorter scale lengths don't bother me much. I can adapt to just about anything.

2. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2009
    London, England
    I've had both and didn't notice a huge difference except for string tension. Even so 11s o nmy Gretsch was probalby too much...I feel much mroe in control with my Tele w/ 10s.

3. sangeetkar

sangeetkar TDPRI Member

I don't like the 3/4 size les Paul necks.

4. photogijoe

photogijoe TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2009
    College Place, WA
    I think that 24" is the optimum scale length music is base 12 why not the fret scale?
    I have 24" and 25.5" comfort is king play what you like best

5. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

I like a bit small scale necks.
    They feel snappy, but I enjoy variety when it comes to guitars.

6. BooneDog

BooneDog Tele-Meister

Nov 19, 2007
    Florida
    Where can you get 24 inch necks for a build project at reasonable price?

7. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    I don't mind shorter scale necks at all as long as the nut isn't too narrow-I have a Strat with a Hag1 neck that's 1 9/16" at the nut and that's too narrow for even my medium-small fingers. I have pads like a tree frog so narrow necks are a real problem. A real challenge for me is the 30" scale Baritone I just got-down on the neck those frets are a looong ways apart!

8. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2010
    ottawa
    I've always felt a little more comfortable playing leads on my grestches then my tele, but I thought it was because of the chunkier neck on my tele (72 deluxe) - it was only recently that I noticed the scale on the gretsches are an inch shorter. It's probably just the placebo effect, but now I always use them when I'm recording leads.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Convert that to mm and come back with your results :lol:

10. VaticanShotglas

VaticanShotglas TDPRI Member

May 24, 2010
    MI
    My friend has a jaguar and I love it. I've always wanted one of those or a mustang. I think you will know by playing it if it is for you. Heavier strings are good for these and mix well with the mellower tone from the tension. The jaguar did not have the sort of spankiness of say a strat so that may be a detractor for typical fender fans. I prefer the mellower response of the short scale. I am happy with my les paul's in-between scale however. When I pick up the jaguar it doesn't seem too different and and when I pick up a tele it isn't too different in the other direction, but when I used to play a strat daily the jaguar seemed a more drastic shift.

I'd still love to have one someday, especially for making up odd chords and stuff. There is stuff that I play on my les paul that was hard to play on my strat. If you play lots of leads up the neck it may be different for you though. I don't, though I do play chords and bits all over the neck.

Also, I have small hands, if that matters.

11. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

Jul 27, 2008
    Kansas City
    I dunno...I'm definitely no shredder, but I love my 24" scale Fender. You can use heavier strings and get away with it easier, or not, and it still sounds and plays fine. It's a pretty subtle difference, though, really. That inch and a half makes some difference, but not as much as you may think. Not for me, at least. I guess mostly I love that ol' MM in the same way that Campilongo loves his '59 toploader- that feeling when you pick it up, to paraphrase Campy, of thinking, "man, I can dominate this guitar!". Not that I don't get that with my Teles, too, but the MM is just so...I dunno how to describe it. It's a fun guitar. Sounds great, too. Though I might add the finish on mine isn't original, and it sounds a lot better to me than some '70s MMs and 'Stangs I've played that had thick, glassy poly finish. Anyway...

12. VaticanShotglas

VaticanShotglas TDPRI Member

May 24, 2010
    MI
    Man, this has rekindled my hankering for a blue mustang with lipstick tube pickups.

13. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I actually like the "Gibson scale length" better. It's easier for me to play, and it fits my hand better. I use .010s on my Fenders and my Gibsons are equally split between .010s and .011s. I find one size up will feel just like the smaller size does on a Fender.

Lots of people spend endless hours and nearly endless dollars on their "tone quest" and never discover the real answer; the one that was most obvious all along.

Find a guitar(s) that you really love to play, and can't bear to put down; and play it like there's no tomorrow. That is going to be the way that you will sound your absolute best and play your best. This one simple concept is going to make more difference to your sound than any of the other "Tone Voodoo". And it costs less, too.

14. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    Agreed, this is good advice. I am tempted to start another thread because, speaking to the "can't bear to put down" part of your post, one of the things that I am after (that I allude to above) is an ergonomically comfortable guitar. The jazzmaster/jaguar does that for me body-wise. I was just wondering how a hardtail jaguar might play out -- whether the other variables would cancel out the benefit of having that body shape in play.

I don't know how unusual I am compared to all the other players out there, but I find that I can't sit in a chair for very long, let alone stand up and play (I also have ongoing lower back problems and sciatica). So, the original post had this (ergonomics) as a hidden agenda, and wasn't necessarily about tone per se, but your points are well-taken nonetheless.

15. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    RE: Ergonomics: I always wear a strap when I sit and play. I do not rest the guitar on my leg, rather I let it hang right in front of me like it would when I stand. I just spread my legs out a bit, and the guitar sits nicely in a very comfy classical guitar-like position.

16. Kastrodamas

Kastrodamas TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Central Texas
    I agree w/ Joe-Bob on the Gibson scale length. Here lately, I've gotten into the 25" scale length. It's really comfortable to me, kinda middle of the road. Not too rubbery, yet easy enough to do some big bends and chords with my normal sized hands. I've always hated my hands...

17. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I play mostly 24 3/4 (though my Godin is 24.84...close enough). My smaller hands have a tough time on Fenders. I really do like the feel of a lot of 24" guitars but don't presently own one. I played a Little Martin the other day. It has a 23" scale. Man, I could FLY on that thing but 23" does start to get pretty toylike.

With larger strings, the tension issue doesn't amount to much. The only real problem I could see might be fret spacing up high on the neck. They get crowded in a hurry.

EG

18. kypdurron

kypdurron Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2010
    Berlin, GER
    I had a Fender Mustang and a Squier Duo Sonic CV and still own a '65 Duo Sonic II. They're all playing fast and sounding very special. Especially the japanese '65 reissue Mustang was maybe the overall best guitar I ever had.

19. RatherBeFishing

RatherBeFishing Tele-Afflicted

Jun 29, 2008
    where the trout are
    I may be way off here. Maybe someone who knows can throw in some more insight but aren't there harmonic points along the string plane that change depending on the scale? I believe I've heard that certain types of pickups work better with certain scales because of this and it is the reason humbuckers sound much darker/muddier in the neck of a 25 1/2" scale compared to the 24 3/4" you would find on a Gibson.

20. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

a close friend of mine has a Rickenbacker 325. It's tiny. when I pick it up I feel like I have a toy guitar in my hands. John Lennon once said he preferred the 325 because it was so much easier to play all those "rock and roll chords" on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.