Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Who played guitar on You're So Fine?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I know of two recordings of Little Walter’s “You’re So Fine.” The more subdued version can be heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN6fgdVrpQY. There is a wilder version that can be heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7RBLLCqYi4.

According to Wikipedia, one version was recorded between 1952-55 as a single, then released in 1958 on a compilation LP, The Best of Little Walter. Based on the Wiki article, I guess that the guitar part is played by Dave and/Louis Meyer of the Aces.

Since the first version above is more smooth and quote/unquote professional sounding, I would guess that this is the one on the compilation LP, with the Meyers on guitar. The second version is much more interesting to me. It is quite wild and has an extended hot guitar solo from 1:12 to 2:22. I don’t believe I know the guitar player well, as a lot of what he plays sounds like it came from a blues-rock guitarist of the late 60s-early 70s. Little Walter died in 1968.

Who do you think plays guitar on the “wild” version? It is very cool stuff.

2. Gibson

Gibson Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    Otis Rush is named in the video of the "wild" version - could it be him?

3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. csbluesman

csbluesman Tele-Meister

May 3, 2009
    Chehalis,WA
    I think I read some where that Little Walter played guitar on some recordings. Was it Little Walter?

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2008
    portland, or
    Both Ike Turner and Otis Rush are possibilities from that era of Chicago blues ... from the style of the solo, I would guess Ike ...

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    WE have a deep blues master here. Cheers

8. Urban

Urban Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2011
    Slovenia
    Hound dog Taylor played a lot with him...

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2008
    portland, or
    Turner and Little Walter were both in a combo that backed Rush on Cobra recordings '56-58 ( produced by Willie Dixon) ... this is straight from the official Otis Rush website ...

10. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2010
    HLMRmeer
    The comments on the wilder version's YT mention Sammy Lawhorn. Would that fly with you connoiseurs? Personally I haven't a clue.

11. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    The second youtube clip is from a compilation album, put out in the early '90s, of Otis Rush and Little Walter live recordings from the late '60s. It was also part of a bootleg LP in the '70s.
    That track is supposed to be from a live show at Pepper's Lounge in Chicago, not to long before Little Walter died, with some of Muddy Waters band at the time. So maybe Sammy Lawhorn?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  12. Olav

Olav Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2010
    HLMRmeer
    spell check?

I think you mean compilation album?

:lol:

13. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    That's what I get for trusting my smart phone!!

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm wondering if it was Buddy Guy. He would go completely wild sometimes.

What I find so interesting is that little repeated note figure that goes E D A E D A E D A ... These are just notes I'm typing in here, I don't know the exact ones, but this is the idea. That pattern is not something I have heard any blues guitarist do ever. It is certainly a rock or blues-rock pattern, but I have never heard it in blues. I'm sure I'm not remembering enough, but that's my impression anyway.

I also saw that Otis Rush was mentioned, but it does not sound like him to my ears. But sometimes playing live in a neighborhood blues club, people could do uncharacteristic things. I used to listen to Junior Wells at the Checkerboard in the late 80s. He would get up there and play the notes of the major scale in staccato 8ths: toot, toot, toot, toot, .. then shout "*****!" Then start at the bottom of the scale and do it again. And again. It was very weird. He did it every night that I heard him, but I've never heard it on record or YouTube clips of performances.

15. greentaloy

greentaloy NEW MEMBER!

Nov 30, 2012
    NewYork
    B.B King teaches me a lot...

16. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Otis Rush. Live in Chicago. c. 1967.

Why not? Pretty fired up perhaps, but I can hear it.

17. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    It doesn't sound like Otis Rush or Buddy Guy. Not even a little. Also not like Little Walter himself. So who knows.
    MD

18. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    "The shadow knows"....

19. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    The bent vibrato at around the beginning of the solo, as well as the triplets trills all over, bear Otis' signature.

Otis Rush vibrato makes my heart miss a beat, & it happened there, :D so I vote for Otis Rush. He does let go sometime & play unexpected stuff.

I may be wrong, of course.

THank you OP for this nice post.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.