Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who Makes the best Telecaster necks?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by sricabla, Oct 25, 2010.

1. teleman3726

teleman3726 TDPRI Member

USCG and Musikraft seem to have it. Tommy seems very helpful.
    I tried dealing with Warmoth for some specific requirements for a neck, and some dude named "Spike" simply sent me a link to their site. If you're over 40, you'll know: this does nothing to send me back to them. Ha!

2. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2003
    Victoria, TX
    I'd have to say Scott Lentz, but I'm not sure he's selling necks by themselves.

I just happen to have one of his necks (RW board) on a very light-weight body with the GVCG set made by Lollar, and the combination is just excellent.

As for the neck, it has stainless frets. I love the profile, and it seems to intonate better with a 3-saddle bridge than any other guitar I have.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

USACG.

Marvelous necks.

You could maybe make a case for buying an Allparts neck for cheaper, but best is best.

If I had any concern about simply not knowing about the "other guy", that "other guy" would not be Warmoth. I've got a lot of these Warmoths also and while the one W that was "sickly" has gotten much better over time, I simply prefer each and every USACG neck I have over any of my Warmoths. Why? Wood selection, truss rod source and installation, and fretwork quality.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey, these Squier 51 necks have a lot of heart and soul in them.

They're respectable and I like them a lot.

They sure suit me way better than the average American Standard neck does, and if you massage them, they can look pretty cool! :)

5. Timbo9799

Timbo9799 TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2011
    akron, oh
    Both of my Warmoth necks have been super.

6. Timbo9799

Timbo9799 TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2011
    akron, oh
    On further thought, I'm going to amend my previous endorsement just a tad. On one neck I went with a Graph Tech TUSQ nut and after about a week it settled a hair more than it should have on the treble side. That was a bit disappointing, but a relatively easy job for my local luthier. Otherwise, they both play and sound great.

7. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2016
    Tempe Arizona
    The problem with WARMOTH IS they are like their logo-a slow turtle! Warmoths turn-around time is incredibly slow, even the off the shelf stuff! If they say 4-6 business weeks, they mean 10! They dont do anything to their frets like a pro-job trimming them out! Their paperwork they slip u says " this neck may newd fret leveling"!! Come on, for the $ u could offer a great fret-job- like USACG!!

El Tele Lobo likes this.

8. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I havent met any version of fender neck that didnt do the job...from squier to MIM to USA. Of course the better the fender the better the neck and the resale value.

9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    I'm sure that the companies mentioned all make very nice necks. The two I've bought were from Warmoths in stock section. I liked the fact that their web page shows images of exactly what I was going to receive and once they arrived it proved to be very accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TeleMan59 likes this.

10. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    I have used Musikraft, USACG, and Warmoth. I believe the fit and finish of those are all impeccable. For best stability during humidity changes, I prefer quartersawn lumber OR a Moses graphite neck :]

11. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

All are good. USACG is best.

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Ditto

13. 1952stuff

1952stuff TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2015
    chicago
    A lot of people favor USA Custom. I ended up with Warmoth because I liked my options better. It cost the same as the USA Custom would have.

It's been on the tele almost 2 years and like the fellow I spoke with at Warmoth said..."If it isn't doing the Watusi after that time it's good.

Warmoth (and maybe Tommy) has the double truss rod option which has I think a lifetime guarantee. It has more metal obviously and is supposed to increase sustain.

Maybe so...but I went with the vintage design...skunk stripe and all.

It intonates wonderfully.....I think doing a PLEK job is unnecessary as human hands have been doing great on instrument necks for hundreds of years and my tech guy handles fixing botched PLEK jobs.

I love the Warmoth neck....I also changed the bridge to something I think is more stable

since I love to hear myselk "talk" I'll also say I agree if you're interested in resale stay with Fender. My Warmoth tele will probably be buried with me ...I wouldn't sell it if I was starving...

The stock Fendwer neck ...that fender advertises as fast and sleek is like a baseball bat. I have it in a clioset somewhere...it should be in a museum of non-functional stuff. I could make a casre that fendwer hasn't made good necks since Leo sold the company...ever since playing a 1959 Strat with a 1 and 5/8 nut width..That was a rock guitar .....

I'd avoid the composite necks..is that the word?.. the one's with variable radius that go from like 10 to 16....I'd get 12 or 14

Custom necks are great..you get it just like YOU want it...not some corporate actuarial statistic...A fellow..I think on this forum...said something I like about "changing the Fender DNA' and not sounding proper...My partscaster sounds so much better then what came out of the box it amazes me all the time.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

14. dead mike

dead mike TDPRI Member

I have only used Warmoth and they have been very good for me.

15. generalmojo

generalmojo TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2016
    San Francisco
    Plus 1 for warmoth. They do it right. Just remember that it's up to you to give it a good fret finishing. Level and crown. Etc. that's fine with me tho, because I have a very specific way I like to do it.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Back in 2010 when this thread started I would have said Fender, and now I'd still say the same. (All my Fender necks are old though)
    For aftermarket necks I'd say Allparts gives you all the quality for a very fair price compared to Warmoth, who doesn't actually finish shaping the neck, leaving hard transitions and square corners, or Mighty Mite who sells Affinity level necks for the price of a whole second hand Affinity.
    OK the rude remark about Mighty Mite was based on a small number of samples...
    Allparts necks are made in the factory that made tens of thousands of actual Fenders in Japan.
    For custom work I'd go to USACG or Musikraft.
    I've bought used Warmoth necks and gotten good use out of them, they work fine if you like the unfinished contours.
    Big points for the huge frets they usually have!

17. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I understand that everyone that has purchased a non Fender neck has had varying experiences. I have had Warmoths, Musikraft and Mighty Mite. Fully custom I would go with Musicraft over Warmoth. Musikraft has many more options available and the fretwork is playable out of the box. For a decent off the shelf fairly inexpensive neck I have found Mighty Mites to be very good. There is a vendor on ebay that sells them with the fretwork in very payable condition.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.