Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who makes the best inexpensive tele copy ?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by relic@$ter, Jan 15, 2013.

1. relic@$ter

relic@$ter Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Gardner,MA
    Hey I wanted to ask someone with a squire CV...does it have a pine body? And is it light?!?

2. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    IOWA
    My CV 50 BSB has a pine body. Not really light.. but not MIM heavy either. The feather light is the CV Thinline Mahogany... it weighs nuttin!

Corey

3. relic@$ter

relic@$ter Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Gardner,MA
    Thanx for info..so it's lighter than the mim?

4. EasyStrummer

EasyStrummer TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2012
    New Orleans
    I have a CV50 and a MIM. My CV50 is definitely heavier. I know all models have a lot of weight variance, but the pine of the CV50 is heavy! (It gives it nice resonance, though.)

5. relic@$ter

relic@$ter Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Gardner,MA
    Ok good info...thanks!

6. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    IOWA
    That,s right, don't know by how much, but I can tell the difference. But still I dig my MIM. Neck is great on both of them.

Corey

7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land

8. John Lavelle

John Lavelle Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    I just ordered a ESP LTD 202 3 tone sunburst, brand new for $215 AND free shipping. It has a neck humbucker, rosewood fretboard etc.....read tons of reviews and I am comfortable with my "blind" purchase. I will follow up next week. I have 2 MIM Maple fretboard teles. One is the 2012 Paisley-LOVE IT. The other is a 2002 that I swapped out the bridge pup with a stacked seymour duncan humbucker. It rocks!!

9. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Depends on your definition of "inexpensive". But my Squier Affinity is my #1. Got it for $125. Have since upgraded pieces as I could afford to, but it's a nice sounding and playing tele for not much.

10. relic@$ter

relic@$ter Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Gardner,MA
    If I can find a used cv50 I'm all over it! The strat vintage modified squire with the dano pups looks awesome in my opinion and from what people say about the classic vibes should sound awesome too! My next guitar I think!

11. MN Punk

MN Punk Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Both of my home-built teles were made using paulownia bodies from GFS, and I love them. They weigh NOTHING and sound BEAUTIFUL.

Seriously, I don't get many compliments from other guitarists for my playing, but I frequently get praised for my tone.

I've got a million nit-picks about GFS guitar hardware, but their tele & strat bodies are unimpeachable! DO IT!!! Thank me later.

12. relic@$ter

relic@$ter Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2013
    Gardner,MA
    I'm dying to try one of those light weight bodies when I clear room on my bench!

13. dronester1

dronester1 TDPRI Member

Just to clarify about the Squier CV's, ALL of them have pine bodies except for the Thinline (mahogany). When comparing the Squier CV to the MIM, it's a tough call, because I have played several of each. The Squier CV in Butterscotch was my first, and it was also the best. Early in the run, and fairly light with an amazing neck, hard times forced a sale and I bought another Butterscotch 2 years later that just felt "wrong". Too heavy, didn't like the neck, and so on, so I returned it for the Blonde (whitewashed) finish and it turned out nearly as good as my original Butterscotch CV. The Blonde has Alnico III p'ups v. Alnico V's in the Butterscotch model, and they may get an upgrade someday, but for now it's the only Telecaster I need. I have a maroon MIM Tele that just sucks, big chunky neck, heavy, in fact I've enjoyed the Squier CV's I've played over the MIM Teles I've played by a pretty wide margin, although there are bad Classic Vibes and great MIM's, like all guitars, there are bad apples in a run. I bought the MIM mainly because it was $200 out the door with a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker included, which may get swapped into the Squier before I sell the MIM, I'm not sure yet. Only other mod I've done to the Squier was to add Graph-Tech TUSQ barrels instead of the stock brass barrels and I absolutely love the difference (did the same with my magical first Squier CV Tele as well, still kicking myself for selling that gem...).

Now I own 3 US-made Stratocasters (each one is a diamond, except they're all SSS p'up setups), 1 is an American Special I payed $332.50 for, 2 is an amazing 60th anniversary model I bought for under $600, and #3 is a US Deluxe Strat (sunburst, listed originally for $1900, and paid $900, so I've done well). All still have the plastic coating on the pickguards, almost zero dings (the American Special isn't quite as brand-new), and worth every penny, as I can always get more than what I paid for them if I need to sell (not planning on it, though..).

I also picked up a US Gibson Les Paul Studio (2006) that I didn't make as great a deal on, I paid $600 and it's not worth much more than that, but it was an unbelievable player that I couldn't let anyone else have, so it went on layaway immediately. My first Les Paul, and I've gotta say that I am loving the feel of it so far. Plus I needed a guitar with humbuckers... Now I need to sell my lesser quality guits from before my US acquisitions, and a couple of those are going to be tough to let go. I may just keep them all.

14. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Link to the Ebay ad? Love to see pics of your awesome relic job.

15. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    Had you thought of cutting down the springs rather than re-routing the body?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016

16. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    I have two SX Furrians and love them. The craftsmanship is outstanding and playability/action is great. I put a set of Seymour Duncan STL-2 hot tele bridge and Seymour Duncan STR-2 hot rhythm tele neck pups on the American Swamp Ash and Fender Original Vintage Telecaster pups on the CAR one. They sound like a Tele should.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

17. schmintan

schmintan Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2009
    Ireland
    I had one and got rid of it due to its weight. My go to guitar is an Am Strat Deluxe which weights 7lb 15oz or there abouts, not heavy, but wont float away either. I have a tokai Les Paul that weights at least 8.5-9lb.

The CV i got was more than that again, 10lb+.
    Every time i picked it up it bothered me how heavy it felt despite its size, gave me the impression it was like wood that was full of water making it heavier. I just couldnt take to it so ig found a new owner.

18. toejam

toejam TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Sweden
    My Squier Tele Custom II is one of the best guitars I´ve had. But since this a "real" Tele (Squier being a Fender company and all) I think Vintage V52 and V62 could be some of the best ones out there. Never tried their Tele´s, but I have owned a few Vintage guitars (V100, VR100LM, VS6, two V62) and they were all good.

19. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    Harley Benton. Cheaper than Squier, better quality than Squier.

GrantR likes this.

20. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Note: vintage 2013 zombie.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.