Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who makes the best 12AY7???

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by E5RSY, Apr 21, 2017.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I know "best" can be a cartload of subjective BS, but hey, that's what we do here.

For use in V1 of a Pro Junior. Currently using an old GE 6072A that's getting a bit microphonic whenever a B is played, for some reason.

Thanks, in advance,
    Scott

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I think you've got one of the best. I'd probably just try to find another one: GE 6072A, black plates, square getter. If your current one is a long plate, it's probably some instability in the plates or something. Those long plates are prone to microphonics in a combo amp, unfortunately. But I generally like them so much better that I tend to use long plates in mine anyway. When they're getting bad, they produce a tinny, rattly sound. I've also noticed it on the B string or plain G more than with others.

ecosse and E5RSY like this.

3. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I like a vintage JAN Phillips 12AY7 in the phase inverter, but I don't know about using one in V1. Are you trying to knock down the first gain stage a bit? Wally just recommended that I try a 5751 in V1 for that purpose.

4. MDZimmerman

MDZimmerman Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2017
    Atlanta
    IMG_0529.jpg I just replaced the original Electro Harmonix in my Marshall AVT 20 with this GT. It seems to break up much earlier now during attack while playing. It is also a bit brighter in tone than original so I've had to make some gain and other adjustments to return to "my tone".

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I use a NOS GE 5751 in V1 in my 15w Tweaker so I don't really have an answer for a best 12AY7 but I did find that cartload of subjective BS so you can stop searching for that. :D

[​IMG]

E5RSY likes this.

6. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Yes, I do like knocking it down a bit in this amp. Plus, after finding this really interesting bit awhile back in Aspen Pittman's tube amp book regarding the 12AY7 I've been using one since, after all, the Pro Junior is a "tweed-ish" circuit and a 12AY7 seems to have been originally intended for those amps:

"This model was used in the late forties and early fifties in the gain stages of most Fenders and Gibsons. It is closest in specification to the 12AX7 tube and can be successfully exchanged with only a slight difference in gain and tone. In fact, companies like Fender changed over from 12AY7s to 12AX7s because of the better availability of the 12AX7."

I find the difference in gain more than "slight", myself. Really like it, actually. Makes the Pro Junior a much more versatile platform, IMO.

soulman969 and jondanger like this.

7. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Mine looks like short plates and a round getter. Hmmm...

8. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Then stick another short plate in there, if you like the sound you're getting. They will last longer and will probably be less expensive. All tubes have to bite the dust one day...

9. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    soulman969 likes this.

10. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a ton of GE tubes. My grandfather worked there for 50+ years and bought their company store out of 6L6s, 12A_7s, 6V6s, etc....

Their 12AY7s are really nice. I have a Tweed Twin that had AX7s in it and I put some NOS RCAs I bought at an antique store in there and they sound great.

Not sure about the newer ones but in a Fender map they last a long time.

11. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Say it ain't so, Joe...

12. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN

13. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Oh, yeah. Thanks for the link. Looks like I showed up on Page 3 of that one. :cool: Had forgotten about it.

p.s. How are things in TN? I went to college up the road at Sewanee in the late '80s.

14. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    The real bummer is I see in another thread from last year I wrote that I had four of these 6072As. Now, the only one I can find is the one in the amp. :(

15. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Things seem to be fine in TN. I passed Monteagle just the other day on the way to Nashville. I pass by a lot, but I've never traveled up the mountain to Sewanee. I hear they have a good library and have at times been tempted to use it, but I never have. It's supposed to be beautiful up there.

16. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    You should definitely head over. It's the same elevation as Monteagle, so if you're there on IH-24 you're already on "the mountain". It's not even five miles off the interstate. Incredibly beautiful spot.

Check out the Monteagle Assembly, too. Very neat old houses in there. Was a retreat from the summer heat for the wealthy 100+ years ago, and the houses can still be rented today.

17. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Very cool. I'll check it out next time I'm in the area. I know that Walker Percy and his family summered in the area a lot.

18. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Yeah, then you could just drop down on the other side of Sewanee and take the scenic route to Nashville through Winchester-Tullahoma-Shelbyville on Hwy 41 (just like the Allman Bros. :cool:).

19. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Is this kind of like asking who makes the best toothpick?

20. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Exactly.

So, whaddaya got?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.