Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who is working on Christmas?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Dec 21, 2014.

1. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Hats off to all of the people who observe Christmas as a holiday and have to work. I realize some folks need to keep on working but would rather be home with some egg nog and a tasty meal.

I am on call for my job and it is about 50-50 chance of getting called in. I don't have any kids at home and most of the people I work with do. So I trade Christmas Eve and Christmas for a couple of other days I want off.

Who is working on Christmas? Without being too specific can you tell us what you do? Happy Holidays.

2. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    I won't actually be in the office but yea, I'm on call. Fortunately it's a bit less than 50/50 chance but the problem is if there is an issue, it's a 90% chance none of the vendors will be available or will be on short staff. I was on call a few years back when we had a problem with a Tru64 system (old old system). The folks in Mexico were on reduced staff and I was on the incident for 24 hours (I'd hop off for naps when the incident was suspended because my guys were out and unavailable as well).

Kids are long gone, Ex wife is in Virginia requesting a reduction in what she pays me, girlfriend is with her daughter now and will be traveling to Albuquerque to be with her son right after Christmas.

Meaning it's me and the cat. He does like fish though :D

[​IMG]

Carl

3. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    i take care of my mom...i work everyday...no days off

4. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

Retired last month. Hallelujah!

Driver3 likes this.

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    The two on two weeks off thing I've been on for the last three years has my working every good holiday exept Canadian Thanksgiving. I'm not Canadian though.
    So this next month we'll be switching things around so the guys on my rotation will get holidays off.
    Then again with falling oil prices we all may have holidays off before long and all those non holidays like Monday, Tuesday . . . . . . . .

6. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    california
    In my younger days I would volunteer to work Christmas thanksgiving and New Years. I did customer service at a phone center. Double time and a half and instead of taking 200 calls I would take about 12. It was easy money

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Erm, Carl, that's not your hand in the photo is it? :eek:

Driver3 likes this.

8. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm a wanderer...
    Luckily the shifts fell in my favour and the actual day is my day off.

I am however working until 11pm on christmas eve and back in at 6am on boxing day, so no shenanigans for me.

9. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I used to work Christmases every year. Then, as I moved up the ladder I never worked Christmas. That was good practice for retirement. So, no, I'm not working this Christmas! :D

(I used to volunteer at a hospital on Christmas day as volunteers are scarce then, but now that I'm getting cancer treatment my immune system is shot, so I can't go near a hospital. Kind of brings me down a bit... :( )

10. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    Hah, nope. Girlfriend's hand.

Carl

Driver3 likes this.

11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    HP closes down for the Christmas holidays. Friday was my last day till the 5th of January.

12. meehaja

meehaja Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2013
    Leeds, UK
    I have Christmas off for the first time in 11 yeas, but working Boxing Day from 6am an until 9pm Christmas Eve. The joys of EMS!

13. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    Back when I was the program director of a medium market radio station I had a cot set up in the engineering room. It came in handy on holidays. I haven't worked on Christmas since. That was more than twenty-five years ago. I really didn't mind, at the time.

I hope nobody is compelled to work if they don't want to, but I know that's not always the case.

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Nowhere to go and no one to see .
    I'll be working because the job site will not be crawling with people .
    It's inside at a newly opened fitness facility .
    I'll take my recovering dog along and do the day in peace and relative quiet .
    This and the simple fact that it all just worked out this way and I need to pay for her surgery .
    Her surviving this situation is my Christmas gift . :D One more day and I likely would have lost her .

15. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2012
    Shertz, TX
    Yep, I choose to so I don't have to spend time at the in-laws.

16. BG_Lover

BG_Lover TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Aberdeen UK
    working at Christmas

Your wife is requesting a reduction? Lucky man. I'll be resting over the holiday. I'm writing from the UK, with a brother in Johnstown CO. Happy Trails.

17. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2009
    New Jersey
    This guy.

Attached Files:

18. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    Well shoot. That explains why I'm up for 24 hours waiting on a technician. Oh HP "responds" in 4 hours.

"Yea, we got your call. We'll call you back when someone comes in Monday morning. We responded in 4 hours. Doesn't mean your problem will be fixed in 4 hours though."

Carl

19. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    You missed part of the comment:

Technically I'm not sending her money every month any more but I am paying for her car and her condo (fancy name for a Town House). She finally got a job last month and has received her first check. It's a few bucks less than what I was paying her cash wise in maintenance. She started sending me money for her Condo and cell phone (it's a shared plan) but since her first check was lighter than she expected, she's asking if I would accept a little less than a full Condo/Cell phone payment.

I can certainly afford it and will do it, however she knows she has to take over her house payments (refinance) in a couple of years.

I need to whip up a year end statement for her so she knows what her tax bill is (which I'm paying for too).

Carl

20. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Feb 24, 2005
    FL
    I've always liked 'The HP Way'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.