Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who is the absolute best guitar player you've ever seen play live?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Mar 31, 2016.

1. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    Rory Gallagher

2. pelle31

pelle31 TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Arnprior,Ontario
    Stanley Jordan in a small after hours club.

3. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    Carl Wilson and David Marks, trading licks at POP about "62

4. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017

5. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    Michael Hedges at Liberty Hall in Lawrence, Kansas. Saw him twice in the early 1990s. Incredible technique and a remarkable sense of composition, wrapped in the form of a neo-hippie with a terrifically dry sense of humor and quirky audience banter. The layered sounds were crystalline and immersive - just an awe-inspiring performance... until he got to his vocal numbers, that is.

Paul in Colorado likes this.

6. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Back in the 70's I got to see Foghat from the front row. Rod Price was just KILLER in his prime when playing Slide Guitar.
    He inspired me to really get into playing slide. His live playing was so much better than the recordings. He was awesome...
    FG

rodprice1.jpg
    f138001a.jpg FH0046.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    ebb soul and abrianb like this.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    This is difficult. I've seen many greats. I'll list five.

Michael Hedges
    Al DiMeola
    Adrian Belew/Robert Fripp (tied since they were both in King Crimson at the time)
    Richard Thompson
    Bill Kirchen

8. Utah Joe

Utah Joe TDPRI Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I grew up in Baltimore. When Michael was a student at Peabody I used to see him play regularly around town, usually in very small venues (The Pub at Papillion's comes to mind). He was very approachable and seemed like a good guy. His style was unique for the time and we knew that he was destined for greater things.

Also in Baltimore in the early 80's I got to see Stevie Ray Vaughn play in a bar that was actually a converted row home called No Fish Today. I had no idea who he was but I remember walking in the door and hearing him wail on Little Wing. It was just like having him play in someone's living room. The thing that struck me was that his strat had "SRV" on the front and I'd never seen anyone modify a guitar that way. I regret not speaking with him during the break.

FerruleCat likes this.

9. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, TX

10. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2004
    Melvis, TN.
    Yes Doug Pettibone is a Tremendous, Fabulous, Stupendous live player. Saw him with Lucinda and he is the real deal. I have seem a lot of big name guitar players and Mr. Pettibone makes a lot of them look like chumps.
    Eddie Perez live is one of my favorites also. Saw Eddie with the Mavericks, one of the tightest, talented bands I have ever seen. Also saw him with Dwight, awesome show. Live Eddie is killer.

P Thought likes this.

11. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Probably Richard Thompsen, or Lendsey Buckingham.
    Maybe Jeff Beck. I haven't seen to many.

12. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I saw Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen at the Palomino in about 1974 or 5. That was before I started "playing" guitar, and I didn't see what I was looking at, didn't know who Bill Kirchen was.

13. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    I'd have to say Mark knopfler and another vote for Phil Keaggy.....I manned an artist booth at creation fest and got to sit with him as he was talking to fans... Had a great conversation....... Why are all the great ones small in stature?.... Not all but a lot.....lol

14. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    A great guitarist who can't sing and insists on singing? Shocking.

15. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Oh yes, I forgot Richard Thompson. Saw him in Durham NC. Oh my god I couldn't believe it. He would start solos and I'd think WTF and then by the time he got through you saw how it made sense. Then he got out the acoustic and played some complicated medieval stuff. I don't recall if he played it that night but that song about the motorcycle always makes me tear up.

His voice too. Kind of like his solos, at first I was like eeeeh but then you realize what a beautiful expressive baritone it is.

tbb007 and middy like this.

16. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Because taking up the guitar was the best way for them to get girls. Oh wait, that's why we all took up the guitar.

ce24 likes this.

17. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Andy Timmons, Eric Johnson and Guthrie Trapp were amazing.

brookdalebill likes this.

18. perttime

perttime Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    Billy Gibbons, Martin Taylor, and that bunch of Finnish gypsy kids jamming at a stand for Gypsy Jazz guitars at a guitar show.

brookdalebill likes this.

19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    London, UK
    Paco de Lucía... the rest are miles away. Nothing to do

20. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Ritchie Blackmore
    James Burton
    Jake E Lee
    Martin Taylor
    BB King
    Albert Lee
    Mike Stern
    Peter Green
    Wayne Krantz

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.