Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who is the absolute best guitar player you've ever seen play live?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Of all the guitar players that you've ever personally seen play live, who stands out as "the best"? Which was the one guitarist that totally knocked your socks off, who left you realizing that nobody else could ever compare?

I've been fortunate to have seen most of my living guitar heroes play live... but it was around 1995 when Danny Gatton came to Houston, that show still stands out in my mind as "the best guitarist ever". It was an amazing night, and nothing I've seen live before or since has equaled the incredible talent that Danny showed when he was here.

Who was the most incredible guitar player you've ever personally seen perform live? The one that left you speechless, the one that set the standard by which all others are measured?

Curious minds want to know... thx for sharing!

Tony Forman and troy2003 like this.

2. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2012
    Televille
    Kid named Chag in Michigan, when I was a kid. We were both in garage bands. Amazing talent....never heard from him again.

3. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Well I've seen SRV, Pete Townshend (I love The Who), Alex Lifeson (local hometown band for me), Eddie Van Halen, and Steve Vai live so those are probably my top five.

awasson and Stellacaster like this.

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    Best live I ever heard was Steve Morse. Or Vince Gill.

dallasblues, brbadg and phfobric like this.

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Best I've seen live was Joe Walsh. Although, thinking back, Frank Zappa was pretty damn good.

whiteop, Jeff_K and C.R Cooper like this.

6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    TE. Back in the eighties before america heard of him, he played a little pub in beautiful downtown Woolloongabba. There were maybe fifty patrons standing around a tiny stage with just Tommy and his guitar doing his amazing thing.

7. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Steve Howe, but perhaps not always easy to listen to unless you liked the music. For my newer taste and just plain cool, Doug Pettibone with Lucinda. Of course, Eddie Perez with Dwight awakened me to a new tone, one of them Telecasters.

big jimmy and Believer like this.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    a homeless dude on borrowed gear in a club, never did catch his name

either him or Monty Montgomery maybe

tintag27 likes this.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't know how hard it is to play a bender with the chops that Marty has but it's some of the best guitar of the sort out there...

Ripradiant likes this.

10. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Danny Gatton by a long shot.

dallasblues and colchar like this.

11. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I worked at a small blues club as a bartender in the early 80's in Dallas called Nick's Uptown and their was this guy Stevie Ray Vaughan who played every Wednesday night, probably about 80 people there. Those were just rip roaring crazy shows every time.

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Just so you know, that guy had a good career and got fairly popular.

I do have some bad news though....:)

dallasblues, ringii99 and fendertx like this.

13. Tab Benoit and Kim Simmonds of Savoy brown - not necessarily in that order

14. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    At the age of 66 ive seen a hen house load of them, but the very best is Guthrie Trapp! Fast, Clean, and Pure.... The man not one time did he F$#%-up!

Chicago Matt and Chippsta like this.

15. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Well dang! I was wondering what happened to that guy. He'd jump up on the bar and walk across it playing behind his back, then stop, hold a note, turn around and wedge the bottom of the guitar on the bar and grab the neck and shove his boot into the back and bend the crap out of it and start riffing again at the same time from behind crouched down, while the bartenders waved lit bar towels at him "I'm not worthy" style.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I've seen a lot of pickers in my time, I won't put a "best" on any of them. A classical guitarist, a flamingo guitarist, a rock guitarist, they are all worthy in their respective venues. Saw a lot of really good jazz musicians in Vegas when I lived there, don't who they were now, but man could they play. Best, I don't know about best, there's a lot of people who play very, very well, hanging a tag on 'em ain't for me.

Saw Glenn Campbell one time live years ago, of that genre of pickers, he would have to be considered "one" of the best that's for sure. Saw Don Rich live, what he did seemed simple, but it wasn't and he was such a good backup singer for Buck, how do you put a handle on that? Naw, there's a lot of pickers, don't know if there is a best.

drlucky, wayloncash and P Thought like this.

17. jdtoronto

jdtoronto TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    The best guitarists I've seen live are probably jazz guys. Bill Frisell and John Abercrombie might be #1 and #1A.

Chippsta likes this.

18. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    Haven't got to see that many in person. Junior Brown probably the best of the chicken pickers I've seen. Warren Haynes, Buddy Guy & Matt "Guitar" Murphy also all left lasting impressions on me as a young player.

dallasblues and phfobric like this.

19. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    Yup, the best ten players I ever saw were Danny Gatton. :eek: And I was lucky enough to see him play dozens and dozens of times, both onstage and up close in person. No one ever came close, IMO. CS

dallasblues likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.