Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Who is known to have the largest guitar collection?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Leep Dog, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    I'm wondering what famous guitarist is known to have the largest guitar collection and if anyone has any pictures they could share of that collection.
  2. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2011
    Interesting question. This happened back in March:

"Eric Clapton’s collection of over 75 guitars and 55 amps was auctioned off at a Bonhams New York on Wednesday and brought in 2.15 million dollars.

According to AFP, Clapton’s 1948 Gibson hollow body guitar brought in $83,000. His signature Stratocaster sold for $51,000. The Associated Press reports a replica of Clapton’s prized “Blackie” Stratocaster sold for $35,000. The guitar is a duplicate of the original from the 1970s right down to the cigarette burns and belt buckle scratches.

The proceeds will benefit the drug and alcohol treatment center Clapton founded, Crossroads Centre. Clapton suffered with alcoholism and he founded the treatment center in 1998."
  3. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    Billy Gibbons ZZ Top

Rick Neilson Cheap Trick

David Gilmore Pink Floyd

The Gentlmen above are known to have a big collection of guitars.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    It makes me wonder, what about the TDPRI readers?
  6. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Billy Gibbons has around 450.
    Tom Petty - 144 as of a year ago (per Tom on CBS Sunday Morning interview)
    Keith has a bunch for sure, and Clapton too.
    but it's anyone's guess as to who has the most.
  7. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I would imagine that most artists have 100s of guitars.
  8. sbpirate

sbpirate Tele-Holic

Nov 20, 2008
    Two off the top of my head

Marty Stuart

Joe Walsh
  9. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    I think Jimmy Page is known to have quite a collection too.
  10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
  11. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2006
    Chester County, PA
  12. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2006
    South London
  13. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire

May 9, 2005
  14. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

It was said several years back that Billy Gibbons had over 450 several years ago. It's probably more by now.

Some people may think it's selfish and a waste of money, but it also means that over 450 good...probably are going to be kept safe for the future.

(Mind you, that notion didn't help all those guitars stored in Nashville last year.)
  15. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    My wife thinks mine is.
  16. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    They don't have to be famous, I figured someone famous would be more likely to have a very extensive collection.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Ole Fuzzy has quite a tele collection.
  18. missinglinkwray

missinglinkwray Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2008
    Baja Arizona
    Jimmy Page has about 1500, read it in guitar world. The interview was with john paul jones too, and JPJ was like, "really? holy crap", and page was a little embarassed. Serves him right!

1500 guitars....
  19. frankthomson

frankthomson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 12, 2003
    i've had over 100 at one time
    think it was 107
    thats when i began thinking i really dont need this many

..i'm keepin it under 50 now :D
  20. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Jun 11, 2010
    Western Canada
    Randy Bachman has a whole separate house for his guitars, though he recently sold a whack to a museum...

For years, British Columbia rocker Randy Bachman searched in vain for his holy grail.

It’s a late-1950s orange Gretsch guitar, the Chet Atkins model. It was stolen in 1976 from a Toronto hotel room.

Bachman used the beloved instrument — “my first real professional guitar” — on the Guess Who hit Shakin’ All Over, and later for Bachman-Turner Overdrive’s Takin’ Care of Business. He has yet to find it.

Still, during 30 years of touring — scouring music stores, pawn shops and garage sales around the globe — Bachman did manage to amass the world’s largest and finest collection of Gretsch electric guitars. That treasure trove of roughly 375 instruments has now been purchased by the Gretsch company for its museum in Savannah, Ga.

“It’s worth several million dollars,” Bachman said yesterday. The collection includes Gretsch amplifiers, banjos, dobros, ukuleles and an organ.

It was mostly housed on Saltspring Island and in White Rock, B.C. The Gretsch collection includes such rarities as a 1957 White Penguin model. The White Penguin is considered by some the ultimate electric guitar collectible. There is also a mint condition 1958 prototype of the Country Gentleman model still in its original factory wrapping.

“When the museum curator saw that, he said, ‘I can’t believe it,’ ” Bachman said.

In the early ’90s, Fred Gretsch, grandson of the company’s founder, borrowed some of the Canadian rocker’s guitars to use as templates for reissues. The Gretsch factory — and the guitar designs within it — had been destroyed by fire. Bachman’s collection includes many rare and one-of-a-kind models. The relationship between Bachman and Fred Gretsch ultimately led to the sale of the collection, already sent to Savannah.

The guitars will be displayed at the museum as the Randy Bachman Collection.

Bachman said he will not miss his guitars, as he rarely saw most of them. He compared his collection to a library.

“You can’t read them all,” he said. “And you can’t play these guitars all the time.”

Some of the instruments, from the 1920s and ’30s, are unplayable in their present state. They were made in the age of horse-glue, which deteriorates over time. And some early models lack metal rods Gretsch later used to reinforce the necks of its instruments.

Bachman’s hero, Chet Atkins, sent him a similar guitar to the stolen one after hearing of his loss. Featuring an autographed pick-guard, it is one of only three. Atkins, who died in 2001, owned one, while Paul McCartney owns the other. This is the only Gretsch guitar Bachman has kept.

“That won’t go to the museum,” he said. “That is my personal gift from Chet Atkins.”

As for the lost instrument, Bachman continues his search. He believes it might be in the possession of a member of the Thompson Twins, a British pop group. Bachman once saw a Thompson Twins music video and thought he recognized it. The guitar is identifiable by a blemish on its body caused by a knothole in the natural grain.

When the Thompson Twins played GM Place in Vancouver years ago, Bachman convinced a friend working backstage to approach the group to see if they’d sell the guitar back to him. A guitar technician with the band said the Gretsch guitar hadn’t been taken on the tour.

“The guy said, ‘I’d never take it on the road. It’s too valuable.’ ”
    vid of his home, collection
  21. mymindsok

mymindsok TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Keith Richards has stated during interviews that he own over 1K guitars and really dosnt know the exact number. He also says that he intends to to open a guitar museum someday.

I sure wish he'd hurry up!
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.