Who inspires you to broaden your Tele-playing horizons?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by LGOberean, Jul 3, 2018.

1. REWTX

REWTX TDPRI Member

+1 for Bill Kirchen and Roy Nichols

2. bgemill

bgemill TDPRI Member

Ever since I discovered Julian Lage I stop listening to his stuff. Arclight and Modern Lore are his Tele projects. Just a Tele plugged into a tweed champ with a tiny bit of a reverb pedal. Different, relatable, expressive, inspiring playing. I can’t get enough.

3. Gretschman

Gretschman TDPRI Member

I spent the morning revisiting Michael Bloomfield's tele licks. I always come back to Bloomfield's playing--it is so like whether playing a tele or a Les Paul.

4. Gretschman

Gretschman TDPRI Member

5. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

mike bloomfield playing in the paul butterfield band recordings, the paul butterfield band and east west

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I'm inspired every time I try to learn a new (to me) song. Right now, it's "Still Right Here in my Heart" from when Vince Gill was with Pure Prairie League. The original recording is so 70's. I dropped the key into my vocal range and I'm trying to modernize the guitar work to be more like Vince Gill early this century. The funny thing is that I started learning the song on my Strat, but the solo I'm working on for it sounds better on my Telecaster.

7. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Clarence White.

Okay, he makes me WANT to broaden my horizons, but it quickly becomes apparent that it’s a fool’s errand at some point.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. BobbyJames

BobbyJames Tele-Meister

Prince, probably!

9. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a huge Kotzen fan.

But as to WHO has taken the tele "farther" than anyone else in recent years, who is always giving us something else to strive for, the answer for me is always Jim Campilongo.

Not just Tele-ically, but musically as well. I know TDPRI'ers love him, but imo he is greatly underrated in the musical world. He's got the heart of a jazzer, and has charted unknown territory, even unknown to guys like Buchanan. If Gatton and Buchanan are held up as "kings", Campilongo is most definitely heir to the the tele throne.

Just want to add: alot of these players mentioned (Prince?, even Kotzen) could play what they do on any guitar. If you are talking very tele-specific playing, playing whuch virtually REQUIRES and UTILIZES the specific characteristics of the TELE, then the list grows MUCH shorter...

Big fan of both Guthrie Trapp and Duke Levine. But they could do alot of what they do on any guitar. Their music is unique. Campy's music AND they way he uses the "wood and wire that is a TELE" is very unique.

Actually, Guthrie and Campy are 2 of my very favorites. I enjoy Levine very much, some Frisell, and while I love Kotzen musically, a tele is not specifically required. HOWEVER- agree with the OP: the way Kotzen plays ROCK- fingers only- is somewhat unique to the genre, and does give him a slight uniqueness... I think his best talent isn't in his playing, but is in his writing & singing. And of course being the great triple threat he is: player-writer-singer... not too many great triple threats out there these days...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.