Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who has registered their hands with the police?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by drf64, Mar 7, 2018.

1. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Well? When I was a kid we heard of certain individuals who were so dangerous that they were bound by law to register their hands. When I would express doubt, a classmate would invariable claim that this was true because they knew someone who did this. Usually it was an older sister's boyfriend's uncle or some guy who was just far enough off the map so it couldn't be easily confirmed. But it would come up on TV programs from the 70's all the time. In an episode of the Partridge Family Lori tries to scare bullies away from Keith by telling them his hands were registered with the police. A friend's father owned a seedy bar that he called a night club and she told me her father said his bouncer's hands were registered with the police.

So who has done this? Ever claim your hands were registered with the police to end a confrontation? How did it work out for you? Anyone know the origin of this? I can't really find a satisfying explanation other than it is some weird 70's folklore.

T-bone Ted and strat54 like this.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Isn't this a joke about registering "dangerous weapons"? Like when someone is asked if he is carrying any guns, and he replies, "just these" as he kisses his biceps.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...

4. drf64

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

It's such a pervasive urban legend that I think it must have some kind of origin. At least in the US.

5. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My hands are registered with the police. It happened when they fingerprinted me after being arrested for having my dog "at large."

6. drf64

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

Crap, that's a crime? My dog runs away at least once a month. Yikes.

7. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    At least they didn't make you get a concealed carry permit for him.

Endless Mike likes this.

8. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Concealed weapons? No, just got my hands in my pockets! :lol:

9. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A group of us were skinny dipping in a reservoir and the dog was swimming too. The cop just told us to put our clothes on but wrote me a ticket for dog at large. I didn't pay so the cops showed up at my door 6 months later with a warrant. I tried to pay the $35 bucks but nope, too late, off to jail. The cops were making fun of me with all their buddies about being a hardened criminal.

Matt G, T-bone Ted, Jakedog and 5 others like this.

10. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    I had to register my hands with the guitar police cause I’m a danger to the people when I play!

11. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    california
    It’s false. I personally know many black belts in various martial arts disciplines, MMA fighters, both amateurs and professionals and have been training martial arts for several years.
    In fact it has been my experience that the more highly trained a person is in martial arts , the less likely they are to engage in a fight on the streets.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Dog At Large cracks me up. Like Band on the Run ??

I'm guessing the hands legend was something from a movie or BS detective or military 3rd rate potboiler. So like, what's to register? You got a serial number tattooed on your hands? Never seen a fingerprint from a punch or chop from a hand, so that wouldn't work? If you used your hands to assault someone, there would be no traceable evidence, like bullet toolmarks, chemical signatures, etc.? And--just say you misused your hands--what are they going to do, take them away from you like a gun??

More interesting are the legends about female movie stars having their legs insured with Loyd's of London? What about other notable parts of ladies' bodies that makes them a hot property at the box office. She's getting a bit long in the tooth now, but did Dolly Parton ever have her bazookas insured? (or registered as lethal weapons, for that matter. :lol::lol:)

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I remember some of a quote by a famous fighter when challenged by some rube in the street saying something like "I can earn millions by fighting somebody 100 times better than you in a ring, why would I waste my time fighting a chump like you for nothing?"
    Might have been Evander Holyfield, come to think of it.

14. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    So, you were arrested on a warrant for failure to pay your fine, not for having your dog at large, that was only $35.

Jakedog, Piggy Stu and drf64 like this.

15. drf64

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

No question it is false, but how did it get started? Is this just what Jack Dempsey made up to avoid drunks taking a swing at him public?

16. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    Sadly, this is no longer true. The science of knuckle-ballistics is a lost art....

Jakedog likes this.

17. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Mine might be registered for possession of stolen licks?
    Either that, or it's a crime what I've done to some songs. . .
    :rolleyes:
    Peace - Deeve

PS check w/ Snopes - no such animal GuitarSolo.png

T-bone Ted, 2blue2 and Nickadermis like this.

18. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    No, but I've got a court order prohibiting me from eating bean soup in Iowa.

19. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    california
    I remember something like that too. Not sure who said it. But most fights happen because one or both feel the need to prove how tough they are, when you train in a martial art, you know how tough you are and there isn’t a need to prove it. That makes it very easy to walk away from a fight and not let your pride goad you into a fight.

Deeve likes this.

20. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    not necessarily hands, but a lot of people have registered their fingerprints with the police.

play music!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.