Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who has put a baseplate on their strat pickup?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bruxist, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Thinking about doing this with the bridge pups on my strats.

Wanted to hear directly from some folks who have tried it, what brand you used, caveats, etc.

Thanks!

2. joealso

joealso Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    My Fralin SP-43 bridge pickup came with a base plate. I can't say what it might have sounded like without, but I do love the sound and 2 others guitar players have commented positively about it too - both unprompted. Sounds very much like a P-90 to my ears. Full and beefy but crisp.

Bruxist likes this.

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Added one to a tonerider surfari bridge pickup. Just a piece of steel (zinc plated?) I found laying around, which was just large enough to cover all 6 polepieces. A bit thicker than the standard strat baseplate you can get on the web, too.

I also have a Klein custom strat pickup in the neck of my tele which has a steel baseplate.

FWIW, both these pickups are equipped with weaker grade Alnico 3 magnets.

Bruxist likes this.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I put one from Callaham on my '57 AVRI Strat. The effect is there, but it is subtle. Definitely a step in the right direction, regardless.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    uriah1 and Bruxist like this.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I put one from Callaham on my strat bridge pickup last year, with the intent of cutting the highs a bit and fattening up the tone. When I first tried it out, I thought I heard a slight difference. But later, I decided that I heard no real difference but wanted to hear a difference because I just got done working on it and didn't want to consider my time wasted. I ended up replacing that pickup with an overwound pickup and have been happy with it ever since.

nojazzhere and Bruxist like this.

6. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Same her. I did buy a Fralin baseplate to put under a Seymour Duncan SSL1 (vintage strat). I don't hear a major difference against the other pickups of the set (SSL1s too), nothing that could not be caused by heigth or position, but it doesn't harm the tone either. It will stay in there and I forget it.

No caveats, it's easy.

If you want a real change, swap one pickup with something hotter.

Bruxist likes this.

7. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I have no plans to take mine off, but I do think I need to wire that pickup to a tone pot to really get what I was after.

Scott

Bruxist likes this.

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The Fezzter Maverick bridge pickup for my Strat came with one.

Bruxist likes this.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Just put a Tele bridge pickup(minus the ashtray of course) in the bridge position of your Strat. Alvin Youngblood Hart has a Strat like that and it sounds fantastic.

Gibson and Bruxist like this.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Pretty sure my Fralin Vintage Hot set came with a plate on the bridge. It's my son's guitar now, so I can't easily check.

Those Fralins are some very sweet-sounding pickups!

Bruxist likes this.

11. LAGinz

LAGinz TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Got one with my Rumpelstiltskin pre-CBS set. Sound just incredible. Somewhat thicker sounding than original American Std. Set, but still firmly within Strat territory.

Bruxist likes this.

12. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Something just came to mind: I will say, even if it may not make the bridge pickup sound a ton different on its own, I think it definitely improves the sound of the bridge-middle setting.

Bruxist likes this.

13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I did my own plate years ago on a MIJ 60s RI with alnico pickups, just used a piece of hacksaw blade and glued it on with some silicone.
    Seemed to make a difference but not that much.
    I have a Fralin baseplate that I may install the next time I change strings on my Strat which has Fralin Vintage Hot pickups.

Bruxist likes this.

14. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    I did, gave a little more sumptin to it!
    Mine was hand made by me just to experiment.the pickup is actually a old Dimarzio strat pickup from way back in the 80,s.It thickened some but wasn't a giant difference might be the steel I used but there was a difference specially when cranked.
    I think it can be a good thing.

Bruxist likes this.

15. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If I attached a rectangle of thin steel with a hole for the pickup underneath the pick guard at the bridge on a Strat, would it approximate the effect of a Tele bridge plate in terms of focusing and thickening the sound? Or would it introduce some detrimental effect to the properties of the pickup? This could be done temporarily with something like contact cement.

Bruxist likes this.

16. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    A hacksaw blade probably doesn't have enough mass to make much difference. Put that Fralin on.

Bruxist likes this.

17. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Put 'em both on. :cool:

Bruxist likes this.

18. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Nice idea! Can't hurt it. Why don't you give it a try.

Bruxist likes this.

19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Lowell George also did this in the 70's.

Zepfan and Bruxist like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.