Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who has only one guitar? and it's a Telecaster...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleblueman, Sep 9, 2018.

1. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dec 7, 2009
    washington
    I could be wrong, but it seems that most people on TDPRI have several guitars and several amps. I'm thinking of selling my Les Paul because I've been practicing, playing, gigging my Telecaster & Deluxe Reverb pretty much exclusively for several years now while my lester is becoming a "case queen".

As I get older, I'm getting the mindset that "less is more" , and a Tele is a Swiss Army Knife of tones that can cover any style of music.

Anyone else rocking' only one guitar?

Vladimir likes this.
  2. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    Chicago Ill
    I do have more than one tele. But I had a Les Paul as well and it became a closet queen as I grew to love and appreciate the telecaster.

3. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2012
    NJ
    If your anything like me, don't get rid of the Les Paul. Over the years,I did have times where I thought all I needed was a Tele,funny thats the only model I thought that, maybe a SG for a minute,but I never thought all I need is a Les Paul or Strat.Eventually,hopefully you'll plug that Les Paul back in and rediscover all that is great about it!
    After learning the hard way and probably spending way too much money and time on buying and selling guitars I now have all the basic "food groups" covered with one killer tele,strat,Les Paul and a SG Junior.I don't see the point anymore in owning more than one of a certain model guitar.I guess unless you absolutely have to have the same guitar as a backup for gigging but even that is not really a problem as you can always grab something to get you through a set.
    But I don't think I'd be happy with just a Tele(or any ONE guitar) ,you need more than just one hammer in your toolbox.

Ricky D. and jannodude like this.
  4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

If I wanted to have only one guitar, it would be a tele. But I like also having a Strat, even though it gets used 1 time in 10, and I also like to have a few archtops and flat-tops around.

AxemanVR likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I have only one Tele, but it has plenty of company.

6. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

I‘m not quite there yet.

But when I sell my 2009 McCarty, then the Thinline will be my only electric guitar.

It’s a big decision, as the Paul Reed Smith was purchased as my “retirement guitar”, and the only electric I’ve ever paid full retail for. I love the look and feel, and it sounds great with my 5E3. Still, it has a limited range of sounds compared to the tele, which has Wilde microcoils as well as a Brenner piezo bridge.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I can relate - except for the archtops.

One Tele, one Strat, one acoustic. I finally got a second guitar stand so the Strat does not not sit idle all the time.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  8. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Charlottetown
    I only have 1 guitar for financial reasons. Even if I had the funds, justifying another guitar me is hard as a strictly office player. My Esquire fits the bill perfectly.

TelePlank, unixfish and RadioFM74 like this.
  9. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    For the first ten or fifteen years of my guitar playing life, only ever had one electric (a strat) and one acoustic. In the last fifteen to twenty years I seem to have acquired three other electrics and a nylon string. Right now, I'm in two bands and I'm only using the strat I've had since 2001, with a tele as spare. Might be time to rid myself of an electric. Not to mention one of my three amps.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I have more than just a tele, but my LPish Yamaha SG became a closet queen after I got my tele too. Took me two agonizing years to decide to sell it, but I did and it has been gone for over a year with no regrets ... so far. I gotta have a semi-hollow 335 type and a strat to go with the tele. Three electrics seems to work for me ... plus a few acoustics.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  11. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2011
    Turdcaster, WA
    Have an old modded mia peavey tele and strat...all others have been sold off without regret.

12. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

At the moment, I have one. I used to have 3 tele's. I moved countries, so I sold everything and I can only bring one, my american pro tele... Then I replaced the neck with an inch thick u-shape rosewood neck and I never had any desire to buy a new tele..

[​IMG]

before and after.

[​IMG]

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I have more guitars than I need and not enough money. I've been selling a few off with plans to sell even more. Seems silly to want other gear I can't really afford but have a bunch of guitars that don't get played much if at all. It's still like pulling teeth though when I list them for sale and ship them off.

14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    A Tele was my only guitar for lots of years. Great guitars but I own 5 guitars now, all of them are different. For me that's great. We all have days where something just seems " off ". So go to a different a guitar or amp and everything seems right again. Then later if you go back to whatever you were using before and didn't change a thing it suddenly feels right again. Go figure. Variety is the spice of life as the saying goes

15. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    I have a Tele, Strat, Les Paul and Tennessean. A couple have been with me for between 40 and 50 years.

I use the Tele and Strat over 90% of the time but once in a while I take one of the others to a gig and it reminds me why I’ve always kept them around. They’re great guitars.

16. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    At one point, Ive had as many as five guitars at a time. Just recently in fact. But I found that I could not physically play them all at the same time. So I thinned the herd. Now, I have just two guitars, a Fender Telecaster Elite and a Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster with ‘65 AVRI pups and vintage wiring. And just two amps: a Fender Mustang III v.2 and a Fender Princeton Reverb FSR Sweetwater in tweed with a 12” Cannabis Rex speaker (well, it’s in the mail and will be here Wednesday). That’s all I need right now.

jannodude likes this.
  17. Chanan

Chanan Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2015
    New York
    A tele is my only electric. I have a resonator too.

Sometimes I itch for another acoustic, but I’ve bought and sold enough electric guitars to know that I’d only really want another tele.

18. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    3541026E-B001-40F0-B49B-00C37316B5BB.jpeg Have many guitars but once i modded a tele to an Esquire the others sit in their cases

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2017
    Staten Island NY
    I have tremendous gas, so no, I don't just have one anymore..

20. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    No, I don’t have one and I’m not sure if I could get down to one or not. Although after being up to as many as 12, I’m down to 3 right now and one of those is currently listed on CL. When it’s gone, I’ll be comfortable with my 2 remaining guitars, 50% of which are Telecasters. If I did go down to one, it would be a very tough call, but I think I would get rid of the Tele and keep my ‘56 Les Paul reissue. Between the two though, I’m pretty happy. (Until I can’t get rid of GAS again, that is...)

What I’m really wanting to do is downsize the amp collection as well, but I’m not sure I can do it. I haven’t played some of my amps in ages, but for some reason I just can’t part with any. Maybe if I found “the one” it wouldn’t be a problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.