Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Who has Lollar pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Tele_Audiodemon, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Tele_Audiodemon

Tele_Audiodemon Tele-Meister

Who has Lollar pickups in their Tele(s)?
    Which models do you have?
    What do you think of the sounds you get etc?

What else is worth considering? Fender CS nocasters? SD Antiquities?

I generally prefer neck pickups for the roundness and warmth for my clean tones and bridge for overdriven sounds. The middle position is also useful so I need pickups that play nicely together. I don't mind if they are different brands etc.

2. kmac

kmac Tele-Meister

I had a lollar firebird in the neck of my tele paired with a voodoo te50. The firebird was beautiful. Fat and warm. Highly recommended.

If you're looking at lollar, I would also take a look at Peter Florance's voodoo pickups. The te50 is the best bridge pup I've ever had. Never should have let it go :(

3. harleysr

harleysr Tele-Holic

I have a Blackface neck pickup in one of my Strats. Very pleased. They deliver as promised. I know you asked about Teles, but I can attest to their quality.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Lollar Special T's - love em, twang, bang, snarl, growl and the middle position is sweet like honey on Jessica Alba's *****.

6. Tele_Audiodemon

Thanks for the feedback. I like the sound of "fat and warm" but it appears that Lollar don't make the firebird pickups any longer.

I've been considering '52 T or Vintage T's. I'll also check out the Peter Florence voodoo pickups you mention.

Thanks again.

7. Tele_Audiodemon

Nice. I'm concerned the Special T's may push my amp into overdrive too much, but then I guess I can always roll off a touch of volume to clean it up.

I'm probably going to upgrade two Telescope I have so maybe the Special T's can go in one of them.

Thanks for your feedback, and the middle position sounds awesome if it is as you say "...sweet like honey on..."

8. TB72

TB72 Tele-Holic

Where'd you hear that? They're still being made...and they're fantastic.

Big Lollar fan here. I have a bunch of Jason's pickups in various guitars, including a tele with a Special T in the bridge, and a low-wind Imperial humbucker in the neck...deadly good combination IMHO. That tele gets played a lot.

9. Tele_Audiodemon

I can't seem to find the Firebird pickups on the Lollar site. Has he possible renamed them at all?

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=telecaster-pickups

10. Tele_Audiodemon

Sorry, Just found them here. I didn't realise it was a mini humbucker shape/style.

11. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

Had Special Ts on my Tele (before she was stolen) - amazing p'ups. Everything I wanted in a bridge and many surprises in the underrated neck.

12. steve v

steve v Tele-Meister

I'm running a Special T bridge, mini HB neck, and a Blackface Strat in the middle wired up with a superswitch. Love 'em all and I can cover a lot of ground between the three

13. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

I have 'em all over the place, strats, teles, CC, P90, and love them all. All Jason's pickups are heavy on the harmonic content, quite articulate, and never harsh or ice-picky. They're extremely sensitive to picking nuances, and while they have the particular "flavor" you asked for they have always sounded like the guitar I put them in. I think the specials are a standout. They'll rock like there's no tomorrow and clean up with a volume roll. My buddy chickenpicks on the same setup I play Zep on.

BTW, what's wrong with you chicken-pickers? Human fingers aren't supposed to do that. You're all freaks. Just stop. You're giving us all a complex.

14. PeterUK

PeterUK Friend of Leo's

I have the Charlie Christian neck and BS bridge and I love 'em. They sound so sweet through my Deluxe Reverb and really respond well to a little overdrive.

:) Peter

15. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

PeterUK has it!
    I have the same thing.

What you described is right on the money:
    "I generally prefer neck pickups for the roundness and warmth for my clean tones and bridge for overdriven sounds. The middle position is also useful so I need pickups that play nicely together."

Attached Files:

16. donh

donh Tele-Afflicted

I used to have them in my one tele. Took them out and sold them, the guy that got loved them for a while and then moved on as well . . . .

17. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's

I replaced the Fender wide range humbuckers in my new '72 Deluxe reissue with Lollar Regals. Compared to the muddy stock pickups, the Lollar Regals are brighter, clearer, have more harmonic content and more bite. Highly recommended.

18. rocnpop62

rocnpop62 TDPRI Member

I have a set of the Vintage Ts in my K Line tele and I stay on the neck pickup more than the bridge. Both are very touch responsive and nail a vintage teles tone. The neck pickup has an awesome clarity about it. I very much want one of his CC pickups in the neck position of my next tele but need to research first as for as routing and such.

19. PeterUK

PeterUK Friend of Leo's

OK, you've showed yours, so I'll show mine:

[​IMG]

:grin: Peter

20. HopDog

HopDog Tele-Meister

Regal humbucker in the neck and Special T in the bridge of my FSR '72 Custom. A sweet combination...

21. blackkeys

blackkeys TDPRI Member

I have a set of Lollars 52 in my 2000 Nocaster. I love them a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.