Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who else sees bicycles in the middle of the road?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Nov 29, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    '

I get out from in front of or anywhere near 'trucks' in my car/driving. I see any vehicle towing anything, or hauling things wide berths. I have towed enough that I can say the general driving public exhibit EXTREME ignorance to bigger vehicles stopping abilities. I am that 4 wheeler that makes a hole when I see an 18 wheeler put on a directional so he losses less momentum on a grade when the truck in front he is passing lost too much already.

I actually run blocks when it is safe to do so, because folks as drivers to a large degree fit into the category of 'a person is smart, people are stupid'. Paraphrase Agent K/MIB. When in a car and out among others, a smart person seems to act like stupid people.

Just look at my Oct post about my wife's totaled 2 year old car.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Toto'sDad likes this.

2. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Making sense is unlikely to sway opinion unfortunately, I agree with this sentiment %110

Toto'sDad likes this.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I did my share of crafting legislation. Mandatory child safety seat laws, seatbelt laws, Lemon laws, laws to halt dredging of wetlands; all kinds of stuff.

What we have, this "problem" with incorporating bicycles into a transportation system grounded in cars and trucks, can't be resolved by legislation. You have to fix what you find on the ground, and you have to fix what's going on in people's brains. With the very kindest regards, even I know all the words you cite in this statute are basically gibberish. Sometimes a transit and a shovel, or the decision to bar either one or the other form of transportation, is the only answer. I'm glad we try to resolve so many disputes with a pen and paper, but sometimes we're just wasting our time - or we're picking winners and losers after the injury or death has happened.

The most important thing a bike rider or motorist should know is, we have a huge problem. We have not licked the problem and if anything, we're further from a solution now than we were 10 years ago. Now is not the time to relax and assume things will be taken care of so long as people follow the rules. In my view, the rules are not really the issue at all.

Toto'sDad and robt57 like this.

4. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    On a lighter note, if you are a cyclist in the US, Portland, OR is pretty cycling friendly in planning and law as it gets.

Google maps view about any city and turn on the bicycling view. it will paint green bike lanes et al.'

Like a Christmas tree here:

PDX-BIKE-Map.jpg

boris bubbanov likes this.

5. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I agree boris....the primary rule should be to chill out and be safe. There are laws against "reckless driving", but they can be difficult to enforce.

Perhaps the best thing would be to do like other countries such as Germany and have much more rigorous driver training requirements. If everyone:
    cars, trucks, bicycles, motorcycles gets schooled hard in defensive driving: the need to be alert, but also mellow and patient, the need to give yourself
    ample time to get to your destination taking into account traffic and weather conditions, and the need to
    constantly be scanning and assessing and preparing for mistakes by others, then blood pressures would go down and survival rates would go up.

Toto'sDad likes this.

6. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    They are mostly 'constantly scanning' cell phones I submit. Surprised this is not a bigger part of his conversation.

BTW, I don't know about other US cities comparatively these days... But these is an inordinate number of pedestrian and cyclist hit and runs here. I give credit for the incidents to a large degree to GUI distracted driving. Where to assign credit to the leaving the scene aspect, I got nothing...

7. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I strongly agree that the advent of smartphones is the equivalent of putting thousands of drunk and asleep-at-the-wheel drivers on the roads. It has drastically increased the danger to anyone not encased in
    a steel frame with modern airbag technology.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    In some European cities you can ride on the sidewalk, there are markings on the sidewalks for it (although pedestrians will still walk into it sometimes).

In a lot of places though, it's only legal to ride in the street unfortunately. I say unfortunately because there are cars there and there are enough bad drivers in most big cities (and not only) to be very dangerous to cyclists.

I personally don't see a problem with cyclists riding illegally on sidewalks if there are no bike paths and there aren't too many pedestrians at the time.

Toto'sDad, DougM and william tele like this.

9. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I spent a lot of time motorcycling as well.

The actual MSF beginner motorcycle course should almost be required for cyclists. Even the actual practical process of learning to ride a motorcycle has big dividends for a serious cyclist. Lots of cyclists don't understand how 2-wheeled vehicles work as well as educated motorcyclists, but at a certain speed the lessons a motorcycle teaches become really important on a bicycle too.

And then the actual road/traffic education portion of the MSF motorcycle courses are SO much better than what car drivers get, that should also be mandatory to be part of all Driver's ed. (As well as for bicyclists)

I've never done any commercial driving but I've gotta imagine CDL people get that kind of training too.

Dismalhead likes this.

10. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I think my past training as a school bus driver, commercial truck driver, and motorcyclist has stood me well in cars and on bicycles.
    My work also requires me to take defensive driving and they have this great interactive course that simulates looking out
    the windshield and assessing the situation. You will be driving along and the situation will develop, then the frame freezes
    and the course asks questions about what dangers you see and what you are thinking about doing in order to prepare.

For example, there might be a pickup truck in front of you with poorly secured stuff in the flat bed and you are supposed
    to notice that and back off just in case a ladder or something falls off the back of the truck. Or maybe you're driving along
    a residential street and you see kids playing in a yard and you realize you need to slow down just in case one of them darts
    out to chase their errant soccer ball or whatever.

At my work we are also strictly forbidden from using smart phones while driving, even with hands-free technology.

Toto'sDad likes this.

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

If a vehicle's stopping ability is problematic, then isn't it by definition going too fast for conditions?

12. David Barnett

It occurs to me that another disadvantage bicyclists have compared to motor vehicles, besides mass and speed, is insurance. Are bicycle commuters and MAMILs ever covered by any sort of road insurance policy? Who will go to bat for them in the event of a collision or dispute?

13. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    yes, but if cars keep cutting front of the 80k lb rolling death trap attempting some sort of stopping distance control...

you want you twinkies on time, dont cha?

Toto'sDad likes this.

14. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    In a perfect world erveryone would just follow rule #1 of the highway code.

§ 1
    ground rules

(1) Road transport requires constant care and mutual consideration.

(2) Anyone who participates in the traffic shall behave in such a way that no other person is harmed, endangered or more than is unavoidably, hindered or harassed by the circumstances.

this is a google translation but I'd suppose your's basically says the same.

15. David Barnett

I have a solution for that - limit big trucks to 55 MPH, and ban them from passing other trucks. And put all cross-country freight on trains.

robt57 likes this.

16. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Rented, bought, or driven a 2017 or recent high end car recently? The Charger ST we got for a rental for when the txt-ing [sited] driver totaled out our 2015 CRV in OCT had a HomeTheater screen in the dash.

The 2014 rental we needed when a txt-ing driver drove into the back of her 2013 Equinox for 7 weeks was not as evolved, nor the 2015 CRV mentioned above that replaced it, being an lowly LX.

Newest cars all seem to have the distracto-maximus systems now.

william tele likes this.

17. David Barnett

No, ours says "Me first, memememeMeMeMEMEMEME!!!"

Alamo likes this.

18. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I pull over even with the hands free bluetooth in our cars, or just say I'll call you back. But being retired now this is more probable than when your boss calls you expecting instant gratification. ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.

19. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I guess that's why they need monitors to nudge them back into their lane when they drift out because they're too busy looking at a screen of some sort and can't be bothered to pay attention to their driving.

20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It was county, land and development like what's near Holy Hill, but the meeting I was at this morning was still called "urban planning".

We live at the split between residential and the rural hills and roads much like you see in that 10ish mi distance from Holy Hill to Memomonee Falls or Germantown. Probably greater distance from Heartland or Delafield. I really do know what you're talking about. The neighborhood cut through street and road out of our neighborhood are where countless bicycle riders pass heading out of the overall 500,000 person metro area.

I get the challenges. The meeting Monday that preceded the one I was at this morning had the last of two farmers on the road where everything else is 20-60ish acres that have become large homes and where most calling themselves farmers or still calling it a farm have had success in business, won the birth lottery, marriage lottery and the tractor use is really a big snow blower or lawn mower.

It's been a little while but I make trips in your area. I think you have the same issues near our home and that surround our ski club. This morning's meeting was about government and private land planning to ease and eliminate all sorts of complaints in these posts. We are very fortunate to have people at the table including some land owners who are giving or working out easements.

Edit: The cost for just about a mile and a place to park is just shy of $800,000. We the tax payers are spending $420,000 in next year's budget. I predict there will be a point when that will be seen wise and a bargain even though some scream about it now. A school gets built there in two years. Thousands of kids will be able to ride mountain bikes or ski to school if this works. How cool is that over the typical line of SUVs in front of a modern school.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.