Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who else sees bicycles in the middle of the road?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Nov 29, 2017.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, it is frustrating when something that's economics vs politics gets snubbed and things that are hateful or really the sort of stuff that creates dangerous polarization flies.

As much as I love pedaling for a bunch of reasons where I do a lot of work shows other strong reasons to support it. I'm at an admin/director level but we have hundreds of people in entry level jobs. Dozens who are on the roads because a bike is a machine with amazing capabilities that helps them get to and keep jobs. Some choose the risk of being on the road over the risks associated with waking and bus stops in bad neighborhoods.

People should forget about the outliers or bad examples just like I don't equate all cars with the bad examples.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    When a bicyclist rides on the sidewalk, "when there aren't too many pedestrians," doesn't he become the same guy as the auto driver bicyclist are complaining about in this thread? When my wife and I are taking our dogs for a walk (armed with pooper scooper and bag) we often have to step into the bushes to allow bicyclist who are bearing down on us without so much as a shout out, or warning. They seem to have the same attitude as the drivers they complain about. If you happened not to see them and get out of their way, I guess it's your fault you get ran over. Additionally, California allows each city to set its own rules regarding riding on the sidewalk, and our city laws state very clearly that bicycles MUST give way to pedestrians at all times, and that riding on the sidewalk is not permitted. Which of course bicyclist ignore. Gee, human nature doesn't seem very flexible does it? :lol:

boris bubbanov likes this.

3. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I bike alot, but am not a "BIKER". Its a fun thing to do , not a life style. No silly costum for me. "Professional Bikers" as I and my friends call them are often quite rude. They definitely need to start having a bell or at least call out when passing other bikes and walkers. As far as sidewalks go.. y'all must be in cities if theres a sidewalk problem. Here in my small town/rural county they just put in miles of sidewalks. Thats where I ride. On the rare chance theres a walker I just ride on the grass till they re passed.Towns may restrict sidewalk acess, but in town cars aren t going above 25.

Toto'sDad likes this.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Bold choice.

I drive smaller cars. Except when I am asked, often, to drive others' larger vehicles. I can see right away, the intoxication that sets in as the sheer size and power of the large truck or van and I, become one. Suddenly I am following more closely - it feels right, even though intellectually I know the smaller car can stop in a 40% less space. If the pedestrian (jaywalker) steps into the street, I take it as an affront, if even to a tiny respect, instead of putting my heart and soul 100% into creating more space as I pass. I do think some people are immune to the impulse to "drive big" but I also see people who are apparently more like me, except they choose to embrace the superiority bestowed on them as they drive their huge and unwieldy contraptions.

A lot of you know what I'm talking about. Rationalizations. "What was I expected to do; everyone knows this vehicle needs more space to steer and stop than a Fusion. But I want my family to be safer, and they tell me a much bigger family vehicle will achieve that". Sacrifice the other guy, and his family, for the hope it might help you and your own. Society ultimately breaks down, when we can't see any worth in the lives and welfare of our fellow citizens.

Folks buy a vehicle they're afraid to drive, then they hand the keys and the responsibility of driving the monster to Bubbanov. What is up with this?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM
    Toto'sDad, bottlenecker and chris m. like this.

6. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Cars going 25! You ain't from around here are your? :D

7. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My brother-in-law drove a big four door Chevy Silverado out here from Arkansas, first thing he told me about it, you know people respect you more when you're driving a big truck! Might have had that feeling when I first started driving big rigs, but when you're driving a 9 axle rig that is ninety eight and a half feet long running empty, EVERYTHING seems small after that. I used to have to have a trip permit to run empty when my rig was stretched out.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

No matter what you drive, there's someone out there in something bigger.

Toto'sDad likes this.

9. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    That's what this guy found out.
    Well, this is what I did for a living for many years, I did occasionally run across something bigger, but not very often.

upload_2017-12-8_11-29-6.png

10. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I will tell you this, about the above, there is simply not much to be done if a bicycle were involved in any way, shape, form, or fashion to protect it and the rider from imminent destruction. It would behoove the bicyclist to do his best to avoid being in the path of it whichever way either of them were going. That goes for most other vehicles on the road too. Hauling equipment is kind of a controlled accident that can happen at any time.

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    My Cousin in west KY was running cable pans thru the 90s.

12. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

Well, my 2 cents.
    I ride about 25 miles a day every day as long as the temperature is above freezing and there's no snow. I wear spandex. I ride fast when it's safe.

I don't ride on sidewalks. I don't ride in the middle of the road nor do I purposely try to block motor traffic. I stop at stop signs. I stop at red lights. I signal when I turn.

If I want car drivers to respect me then I have to follow the same rules as they do. If we all followed the rules, then there would be no surprises and very few near misses.

I dislike those cyclists who think they are above the law because they give me a bad name.

All of us, drivers, pedestrians and cyclists have to co-exist and share in this world so regardless of what others may do, it might as well start with me.

13. imwjl

I’m with you except for spandex. I won’t hold spandex against you but even in good shape I feel I’m doing a public service as an old guy who doesn’t wear it he he he... At same time I confess that I like it when my same height wife is wearing it and yoga pants - sorry moderators.

I confess no riding today. I had to spend 3 hours in a car, did some barbells and exercise. Now a hike and stop wasting bandwidth and disk space.

:)

14. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    Funny, I'm a cyclist and saw a car blocking the entire road. She pulled a u-turn from the shoulder with no blinker and I drilled her door head on at speed. 5 ribs, broken clavicle, punctured lung and damaged voice box. A few more mph on my part and I wouldn't be here typing. Yea, us cyclists suck, but so do us drivers. And drivers always win the argument.

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    It holds itself 'tight' against cyclists, that being the point. Just saying...

Now go order Groot and Bob Ross Chia planters for all your cycling friends for x-mas, y'all.

16. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    I own three bikes that I found in the middle of the road. The freaky thing is that there was a kid laying on the side the road when I found all of them.

17. imwjl

There was a period when I hauled specialty stuff on a drop deck and construction equipment would be a back haul. I had a very different attitude. Maybe because I also had a brief period driving a school bus. Life is very precious and if 10-15 mph or wait was what meant safe that's what I did. My interpretation of the law and being a decent person was I always had to have the rig under control - not people needed to be out of my way.

Driving a truck and operating equipment was not my whole career - just 10 years. Still, I had respect for bicycles, pedestrians, farm vehicles and the Amish with horse drawn carts. I thought it was morally bankrupt to think behind the wheel of a Kenworth meant get out of my way.

I am really disappointed by attitudes displayed in these posts.
    I think age, all the sub-categories in cycling, and people being tribal complicate the spandex issue but I'll be standing firm on my attempts to do a public service via very limited or no use at all. I might sound like a pig or sexist but it really is best on people who look like my wife and daughter vs old farts like me and what I'll see off bikes.

My inner cheapskate is killing me because the search for my winter time lower 1/2 covered by neither tights or baggy is finding stuff like the Twin Six winter pants that are really expensive.

:)

Toto'sDad likes this.

18. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I am unclear as to whether you are disappointed in my attitude because of my post about hauling big iron. It was not my desire to display any sort of negative in my post, it was simply an attempt to be realistic. When I was hauling iron, it was a much different world than today, it was still a time when construction was a fast moving, get things done, and get them done quickly world. Not much was impeded by rules and regulations, you were expected to get the job done, and as quickly as possible. I'm not sure you can haul the type of equipment I was hauling at that time at a speed slow enough that would be safe for every situation. If you did, you would be unemployed quickly, and the guy who took your place would be going even faster since he would know how he got the job at your expense.

I think it is good to be concerned about other people and I am. I am however cognizant of the realities of being in traffic on heavily traveled highways. It's sort of like getting on a fast moving escalator, you just merge in, and hang on until you get where you're going.

19. imwjl

I understand what you said about the time. The age of the Chevy pickup in your photo might say we did it at the same time. Still, some people were always safety first and not bullies just because of circumstances and what they drove. I surely get the hustle part. I've driven the many lanes freeways in CA, and for a period around and through Chicago, DC and NYC areas in addition to rural and mountainous areas. You sure had to be on your toes but you could operate safely.

It doesn't seem like you're driving rig like that now and some of what you posted here hinted you do not have the consideration or respect we should all have when we're driving. Maybe I was lucky to be impressed by the few months I drove a school bus or when I had to drive a truck around a 50,000 student campus but I always thought don't mess up and kill someone's child, husband or wife. Maybe it was being a Kenworth and bicycle rider at same time?

I'm standing firm on respecting drivers, bikes and pedestrians. I'm still thinking some of it is aggravated by the poor choices or poor circumstances people have for making a living. When economics force a big commute that's one thing. When you have purchasing power and are short sighted or a jerk because you've chosen 8-20 hours a week glued to a car seat is another story. When I see retired people I know raging about traffic and behaving poorly and talking about their grand kids the next breath I call them on it.

Our experience losing a family member to jerk behind the wheel isn't going to let me back down but I think I'm done trying to explain the obvious here. It could be a jerk bicycle rider or a jerk automobile driver - we need to be considerate, careful about not making bad decisions, and need to be defensive when others do.

The most inane thing you can do if you don't like bikes in the road is not support efforts to improve the situation. They're not going away. The numbers grow over time.

Toto'sDad likes this.

20. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    It would seem that no matter what I say, you will try and twist it around to where I'm some sort of bad guy who has it in for bicyclists. Neither my driving record, nor my insurance record would support that I am either. Do I want to have people darting in and out of traffic on bicycles, or being in the middle of the road where they are clearly by California law not supposed to be? Guilty as charged. Do I want to have to hop like a rabbit to stay out of their way when I'm taking on a walk on the sidewalk where they are not supposed to by law in California? Guilty as charged. State, county, and city governments have spent a fortune on painting bicycle lanes upon the roadways, that is where they are supposed to ride in California, by law.

It would seem from numerous post on this thread, that SOME bicyclist have exactly the same attitude they accuse motorist of having. They want their slice of the road regardless of what the law says, and if you don't like it, that's tuff. I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this, and I believe I understand more about you now that you have brought grandchildren into the argument. Kind of a look over here at this hand, while I get your wallet with the other kind of tactic employed by politicians and conmen the world over in order to get their way. :D

imwjl likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.