Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who else sees bicycles in the middle of the road?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Nov 29, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    No doubt.

Said rental Charger S/T smelled like an shampooed smoked in hotel room. The Rav4 we traded it in for day 2 had all the collision avoidance toys.

The lane part of the system seemed to have enough propagation delay you might still cross far enough for a front 1/4 head on while texting type distraction event window? ;) As far as nudging, it actually did that, steered gently back to your lane after the requisite chimes et al. But it seemed like it was counting on you hearing the alarms, but did mute the radio for the event. That was a better alarm than the alarm to me...

The front system actually impressed me. I liked how in cruise control set on 60 as you approach a slower vehicle it readjusts to that vehicles speed and maintains a healthy distance. It made me rethink my own definition of following distance frankly. Which I though was generous, the engineers apparently would not agree with my personal assessment.

2. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    [inserts Tim Allen Tool Time grunts heard as toy went by]

3. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    It's not that much worse than it's been the entire time I've been on the road. It's probably worse for other car drivers now, but it's pretty much always been this bad for a motorcyclist or bicyclist.

20 years ago I stopped driving cars and started using motorcycles full time because I just didn't want to be part of it anymore.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    You stopped driving a car because you think car drivers are so bad that you didn't want to be associated with them, and because they are such a threat to motorcycles, you decided to ride one exclusively...ok. I'm lost.

Toto'sDad likes this.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure it was their legal department who made that decision, not the engineers. CYA.

6. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    That was also in my mind frankly.

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I know some who will ride more at night where I think there’s increased drunk driver risk but have super bright tail lights and headlights.

My lights are 700-800 lumen and I have noticed drivers notice that but you also have to be careful and realize looking ahead is putting a serious or obnoxious of light in someone’s eyes.

Maybe the silliest of all in these debates is even living in a particularly lots of bicyclists area, and my work requiring I drive where most are I’m never seeing cyclist misbehavior like I do with people behind the wheel of automobiles. We don’t have those complaints here like those against cyclists.

I also see raging at motorcyclists and bicyclists who do follow the law. Yes, you can “run red lights”.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/346/VI/37/1/c/4?view=section

Why aren’t we raging about serious problems? Look at obesity,

bottlenecker likes this.

8. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

9. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think anyone is raging. For my part I'm all for bike riding, only really concerned that less attentive drivers are becoming the norm.That's why, like it or not, bike riders have to be more careful or the number of car/bike contacts will increase. I don't make the rules...

Say, I just have to ask if you were overweight at some point in life. You hardly ever fail to bring up fat people. Just curious?

10. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just saw two perfect examples of what I was talking about, about a block apart on the same four lane road. Both guys are in the middle of the right lane, instead of being as close to the shoulder as possible, with headphones on.
    And bikes should not be in the left turn lane. They should use the crosswalk at an intersection like they're supposed to.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

11. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    While I agree both the side by side and especially earbuds is stupid..

If you ever hit a bike or pedestrian you better hope the prosecution does not find your posts to show a jury. ;)

Actual law seems to specify otherwise in every case I have read the code.

12. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    "Associated with them"?
    No.
    I didn't want to BE them.
    Still don't.

13. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Advocates death for people doing something stupid, then demonstrates complete ignorance in the next sentence.

I'm disappointed that this thread wasn't shut down a long time ago. I hate to see trash like this here. Wishing death on people is beyond political.

imwjl likes this.

14. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Up to the point in which I had posted I hadn't heard anything homicidal or even close. Especially nothing that appeared as raging. I'm probably not going to go back and read everything because I'm way too lazy and just don't care...but I do think this was the first anyone suggested homicide as a solution to the bicycle/car crisis...

15. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I guess you've never heard of sarcasm before. DUH!

16. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    In this thread anyway... I was actually impressed up to that point that a conversation was occurring...

17. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I missed it, apologies if it went over my head.

18. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I missed it too and apologize profusely!:oops:

Sorry!

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    bikes can take a full lane and shouldn't be on the sidewalk.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I know you will eventually figure this out, when you do, will you explain it to me? Write slowly, so that I can understand.

william tele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.