Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who else sees bicycles in the middle of the road?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Nov 29, 2017.

1. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Maybe this is just in Hawaii, but I see people on bicycles riding in the middle of the road all the time, like on a four lane road, they're in the fast lane next to the double yellow line. Or at a light, they're in the left turn lane. I don't have a car, and so ride a bike, or take the bus, everywhere I go. And I never do that, I ride on the sidewalk whenever I can. In the few parts of town where there's a bike lane, I ride there. Or, in the few parts of town where HPD doesn't allow riding on the sidewalk, I'll stay in the far right part of the right lane, as close to the sidewalk as I can get. What's with these people? Do they think they're a car?
    Does anyone else see this where you live? Is it only in Hawaii, or is it common all over?

Teleterr likes this.

2. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I've never seen it happen on a multi-lane road, but I do see people riding in the middle of their side of the road, and also people riding side by side, taking up more space.

When I ride in the road, I ride as far to the edge of the road as I can. On busy roads, I might get on the sidewalk if there is one and people aren't walking on it.

Teleterr likes this.

3. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Why would you ride on a sidewalk? Do you think you're a pedestrian?

jaybones, cyclopean, Jakedog and 8 others like this.

4. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

When I lived in San Francisco that's how we did it...own the road like a car. Its the safest way to ride honestly....and sidewalks are 100% illegal for bike traffic.

5. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    You need to go read the drivers manuals in your state regarding bicycles on roads. It will educate you as what jurisdictions it is actually illegal to ride on sidewalks, which is going to be most fwiw.

That is all I need to say about that.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Bicyclists and motorists seem to have an uneasy truce with motorists in the Seattle area. There are a LOT of bicyclists out here, so I think that everybody is simply accustomed to sharing the road with them-the WHOLE road.

7. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It's a lot safer, and I'm very respectful of pedestrians. I ride very slowly and don't get in their way, and always give them the right of way. And no one, including the police have ever complained about it. A lot of bicycle riders here get hit by drivers, and the cops would rather I be safe, than have to scrape me off the pavement after being run over by some idiot who's texting while driving.

8. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    :eek:
    I don't ride allover the road but but I stay clear away of parked cars. what if the passenger door is openend?
    most drivers don't even care to look around.
    Too many fatal accidents have occured this year and many have been injured. Cyclists must be seen and they are traffic too. I might get run over but not shoo'd away.
    sidewalks are for pedestrians and children. it should be a No-go for cyclists everywhere.

cyclopean likes this.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

They really should put being a bicycle rider on the car driving tests.

However, there is a reasonably sized city near me that pedestrians jaywalk without care.

bparnell57 likes this.

10. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    If I'm in a neighborhood I stay on the road. If I'm on a bigger road I stay on the sidewalk. I'm not getting run over if I can help it

william tele and Slip Kid like this.

11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Bicyclists should stay off the sidewalks.

The one exception to this rule is the food-delivery guys. They can ride anywhere they please, because they're doing God's work.

12. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Would you prefer if they make a left turn from the farthest right lane by the curb?

13. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    Fountain City, Wi
    bikes can ride in a lane as long as they can maintain the same as posted speed limits which pretty much means they must stay as far to the right as safely possible going in the same direction as the flow of traffic. I do about 1.5 k a year biking and it makes me sick watching people ride like morons with a death wish. Left turns can be made from the left turn lane but the bike must move to the right as soon as safely possible

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    In some states, a bike is considered to be a vehicle and a rider has the same rights and responsibilities as someone in a car. I've never used the fast lane on a highway, that's just stupid, but use the left turn lane? Yup, I've done it lots. Take the right lane for yourself? Yup. Quite often it's a lot safer to act like a car than it is to ride on the sidewalk.
    You can also get a DUI on a bike, so don't ride home from the bar weaving.

jaybones, cyclopean, Jakedog and 2 others like this.

15. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    In my town, people use bicycles as transportation. There are a lot of bike lanes and bike paths, but they still have to use the road. Left turns use the left turn lane. That's how traffic works. You can't get anywhere at sidewalk speed. May as well just get one of those little scooter things the kids have.

alathIN, cyclopean, Jakedog and 2 others like this.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I've always tried to be considerate of cyclists (after all, I am one too) but the past few years too many have become arrogant and aggressive on the street. They'll ride 2, 3,even 4 abreast, blocking traffic and slowing down dozens of cars, all for their holier-than-thou attitudes. THEY'RE the ones who no longer want to be cooperative and share the road.

Jakedog, Teleterr, Bob M and 3 others like this.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +1 Yup, I learned this in the Bay Area as well. Own the road is the best defense. Of course, I was always in training competition I mode, so I pretty well went the speed limit regardless, so I rode as if I were a motorcycle. Yeah, a few times I wish I had a shotgun on board.:twisted:

popthree likes this.

18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Was out doing winter dawn patrol 12am till 8:30am this morning and saw a guy on bicycle at about 4am. Actually I was glad he was on the sidewalk because the idiot was wearing a dark jacket.
    If I get a DUI and have to ride a bike to my new job (I'd loose my current one) I'm stealing a high visibility vest or two !

19. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey, I know that kinda wish. :twisted:

carry-arms-street-sign-funny.jpg

20. bottlenecker

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I think that's a relative perspective. Relative to the idea that cars own the road, which has always been the default. Cars have never shared the road. I've been trying to ride a motorcycle on them the past 20 years, so I'm a little bitter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.