Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who else is addicted to this site?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

Ha ha , I think most folks here have a sense of humor and a little density to their hides.

One other thing I have found, the first month after my diagnosis I kind of quit playing because I didn't figure I had too long left. Then I rediscovered the Tab tips and theory thread here at the TDPRI. I try to learn a little every day that I can hang on to a guitar. Some really nice threads to be soaked up over there !

I wish Ya nothing but the best !

Obsessed, Tele1966 and DougM like this.

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I bought quite a bit of gear from Island Guitars, in 2001.

;)

DougM likes this.

3. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Good luck with everything, too. I was also diagnosed with cancer (lung) about two years ago, and I was lucky, in that my doctors caught it early, before it had grown too large, or spread. We killed it with radiation, because I also have COPD (emphysema and chronic bronchitis) and so my lungs were too shot for surgery. I've found that being able to play my electrics (Strats and Tele) is one of the main things that gives me hope and keeps me going. I hope it does the same for you.

4. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    I wish you nothing but the best @Nickadermis, and prayers sent for you.

Piggy Stu, DougM and Nickadermis like this.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Best to Doug and Nick! I recently was told my LGL Leukemia was in remission, and I got through a skin cancer that got internalized a couple of years ago doing chemo and radiation. Some times those nasty treatments actually work.

Was Island Guitars kind of west of downtown Honolulu in a shopping center/mall kind of place? I went to a nice music store when I was there a few years back. I think that was it.

DougM, Tele1966 and Nickadermis like this.

6. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    Thoughts and prayers out to you my fellow TDPRI'er! You can beat it!

DougM, Tele1966 and Nickadermis like this.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Me. This and facebook. I just sort of toggle back and forth all day. No joke. I need to take up drinking or something.

8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    That was it.

I bought quite a bit of guitars and gear there, after my house was burglarized of a bunch of guitars and guns and stuff.

:(

DougM likes this.

9. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Yeah, Island Guitars was in a strip mall called Ward Warehouse on the second floor, about a mile or so west of Ala Moana Mall. Ward Warehouse is being torn down to build two tall overpriced glass condo towers that only Chinese investors can afford to buy into. Real estate developers want to do that to that whole area, which is called Kakaako. Island Guitars is now further west towards the airport near Lowe's, Home Depot, and Best Buy, by Sand Island. The number one Martin and Taylor dealer in Hawaii.

10. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    I’m pretty addicted to this site. The thing that drew me in and hooked me is the build/finish area of the forum. There are some incredible craftsmen on this site! Not to mention some pretty nice people (don’t let that go to your heads).

Doug, I wish you good health! Hang in there!

Nicadermis, I wish you good health as well!

Tele1966 and DougM like this.

11. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Visited Island Guitars when we vacationed on Oahu a few years ago Great place!

DougM likes this.

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I live in a retirement village and can only disturb the peace practising at certain times so I look in daily but don't always comment. OOps!o_O

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I love this place.
    It makes sense.
    I'm hooked.

Tele1966, moosie, DougM and 1 other person like this.

14. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Holic

Oct 8, 2011
    Swamps of Louisiana
    I'm retired/widowed and during the week I'm home alone mostly. Get out a bit and of course do home and yard work. But I "check in" daily and see what's shakin' here. :)

Tele1966, moosie, DougM and 1 other person like this.

15. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Keep playing. Pick up that guitar.

Tele1966, DougM and Nickadermis like this.

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yeah, I know what you mean, Doug. I had to stop working in 2007, and was finally diagnosed with CIDP and Encephalopathy in 2012. Too dangerous anymore to drive more than a few miles (to doctor appointments). I receive infusions 3x monthly, for life (not chemo). They take all day, and then knock me down for another two or three. Right there, that eats a lot of my time. It's progressive and systemic, and just when I think I'm making progress on one front, other problems appear. This year it's narcolepsy, and rheumatoid arthritis.

I've never been that interested in TV, and I can no longer listen to music, except short clips. I can still MAKE the noise myself, though. Not sure how that works. I normally read quite a bit, but with the narcolepsy it's hard. I play guitar, buy and sell gear, work on guitars and amps, and do a little woodworking.

TDPRI is the only thing close to social media that I do. Aside from my wife, and a bunch of medical professionals, you guys are usually the only people I interact with all week. You'd think I could do better! :lol:

Seriously, it's a pretty good place. Not too snobby, not too clique-ish and exclusionary. And despite the name, a wide range of topics are welcomed. There are some very knowledgeable and generous people here, and some with a pretty good sense of humor, too. You can all decide which you are :D

Tele1966, KyAnne, 1955 and 3 others like this.

17. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    So sorry to hear about all your troubles, and I wish you all the luck you deserve in your fight. I also don't do any social media-no Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any of that stuff. TDPRI is it, and the good people I work with at Ross (I'm a cashier there). Keep on Rockin', and don't ever give up!

Tele1966, moosie and Nickadermis like this.

18. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    The best holiday Mrs. Hound and I ever had was on Big Island, Hawaii, hiking over the lava fields and sitting on black sand beaches. We spent a late night up at the visitor center on Mauna Kea and got a star talk from one of the astronomers. I wish you all the best.

Tele1966 and DougM like this.

19. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I need a place to ponder all the mess that I've made of life, and (sometimes) the mess I think it has made of me. My "troubles" have been nothing compared to what some of you have gone through, it puts things in appropriate perspective, and the people here inspire me.

I don't want any one thing to be so important to me that it is more important than the most important thing. I'm grateful for the folks here, I'm grateful to have another day.

I need to be reminded for what and why to keep steadfast. I'm barely tolerated just enough here that it gives me at least some hope that I might have something of value to contribute, in a world where I've given everything I've got and still felt like a stranger.

Piggy Stu, Tele1966, Obsessed and 5 others like this.

20. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    When life hits you with this kind of unexpected turn, it makes you realize how precious a gift life is, and to live each day to the fullest, never take anything for granted, and that good health and good people are what really matters, not money or status or ego.
    And appreciate the people you love with all your heart and soul!

Tele1966, Obsessed, KyAnne and 4 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.