Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who can wind a Tele bridge lipstick for me? Or should I?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Ira7, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My Esquire was a Squier Standard in a former life, and I even filled in the neck rout and put a birch veneer on top. To make it nuttier, I wired direct to jack. (Look ma! No knobs or switch!)

The "purpose" of this guitar is to get the best acoustic simulation possible, running through my Boss Acoustic Simulator (AC-3), using the correct out on the pedal going to my keyboard amp. The pedal kind of sucks using the regular out to regular guitar amp otherwise.

I think a lipstick is my best bet. I built a 12 from a GFS Tele body routed for bucks, and the only reason I chose buck routs was because GFS doesn't have both neck and bridge lipsticks in low output, 4.8k. They only have the bridge in 8k. So I bought two Strat pups at 4.8, and used buck to Strat rout converters/covers.

Now, I know self praise stinks, but this 12 is a dream for the sound I was looking for. I can't say enough good things about these GFS lipsticks, so I want to put one in the Esquire.

Do I take a chance on the only one available to fit a Tele bridge, 8k, or do I spend the crazy money having a boutique guy wind me a low output one? And who can? (I just emailed Novak, but no reply yet.)

I might even be off-base thinking lipstick is the way to go, but I don't think so.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017

2. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    By "Should I" in the title of my thread, I didn't mean should I do it myself.

That's insanity.

3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Buddha Pickups on reverb.com.

ScribbleSomething likes this.

4. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Thanks for giving me a CLUE here!

I'll definitely check them out.

5. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    I wouldn't discourage you from using a lipstick, because many of them are lower inductance and get a pretty great tone, but you could also use Bill Lawrence's L48TL and L45. His dual blade pickups are as clear as possible and can be used with the Q-filter he offers to extend out the highs as far as the amp can produce without losing lowend for beautiful acoustic tones.

He also designed his "alnico microcoils" to get as clear and as low noise a signal from an Alnico-poled single as possible, and the neck pickup especially brings that beautiful lower inductance range the lipsticks do while still delivering Fender-style tones.

6. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm just looking for a bridge pup--Esquire.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017

7. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

8. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    The L48TL is a Tele bridge. The alnico micros only come in a set, unfortunately, but the bridge is in the 2H range.

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Yup.

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I believe WD Music sell Kent Armstrong lipstick p/ups

12. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    I recently put a lipstick pickup in a danelectro convertible I made. got it off of ebay. Chinese lipstick pickup 4.6 was very surprized at how good it sounded very cheap to.

13. dsutton24

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois

14. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    One more thing:

I wanted gold, and wanted to go cheaper than the Seymour, like GFS 40 bucks cheap.

I'm going to contact my man Stan at GFS, but isn't it likely that theirs is assembled the same way? And even if the bolts/nuts on the GFS don't match up perfectly with the flat works like they do with the SD, isn't this an easy mod to do on the flat?

15. dsutton24

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I don't have any experience with GFS pickups, but if you can get a picture of the back of the pickup it should tell what you need to know. Is theirs is a Strat sized pickup?

16. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yeah, they have Strat size in different values. This is what I used in my 12, but I'm not in the mood to rip that guitar apart to look at them.

I just emailed my guy there with a link to your thread (you're famous), so I'll see what he says.

I'm guessing that as long as it has the two mounting feet like the SD, I can always modify the flatworks piece if the pole holes don't line up. But who knows--maybe the GFS is assembled totally differently.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

18. dsutton24

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You know what's weird?

If you look at the 4 options at the bottom (two have to do with their KwikPlug system, you can ignore that), they're classifying the 8k as Bridge and 4.k as neck, but they're the same size and mounting configuration anyway, right?

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.