Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who can help me with a custom leather pickguard?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by brobar, Jun 16, 2017.

1. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Beautiful either way. I like it with.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

3. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Well I guess the search is still on! M.K. saw and seemed to really like the design yesterday and seemed enthused to work on it. But I received a message this morning saying they think it best I find someone more stylistically suited to my taste. Which is a big disappointment since I thought they could knock that design out of the park and they seemed to think the same thing yesterday! =(

Oh well... I'm sure they have valid reasons for backing out and it really won't do me any good to know why. They still do fantastic work. I just wish I could have eventually said they did great work on my guard. I had hoped to turn around and order a custom guitar strap as a thank you to them for doing the pick guard.

I try not to dwell too much on the little things that don't matter though. As someone who lost their little girl at such a young age, and someone who very well could be losing his wife who is struggling with terminal stage-4 colon cancer... you tend to realize what's truly important in life and this pick guard isn't THAT important in the grand scheme of things. Hug your loved ones today and let 'em know how much they mean to you!

And so the search continues for a leathersmith...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017

4. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Holy crap.

But what you're going through, this all DOES matter to most of us here in the grand scheme of things.

brobar likes this.

5. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Have you considered a water slide decal, on a conventional non-leather pickguard?

That's a printing process, and maybe they can do photos. I know an unbelievable source for this, and like for just a few dollars literally.

A photo of your wife and daughter sounds pretty damn sweet to me.

brobar likes this.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    wow, that's fantastic

brobar likes this.

7. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Do you have any local saddle makers?

brobar likes this.

8. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    I refrained from posting on this thread yesterday because I couldn't think of what to say. I still can't. I'm so sorry for your loss of little Arya - what a beautiful name. And to be going through this with your wife as well. Stay strong. The guard design looks great. I hope you can find someone to make it a reality.

brobar likes this.

9. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Thanks all. I try not to let it veer too far off topic, but I consider everyone here friends and sometimes it just helps to talk about it with friends. We've been dealt a rough hand these past few years, but we are playing it the best we can. Especially the Mrs. After what she has been through, I just don't know how she does it, but she still manages to do it with a smile on her face! Strongest woman I've ever met!!! She is a fighter!

Thanks for the saddle maker tip. I didn't even think about that. We live in Colorado... there just has to be some saddle makers around here you would think. =) I may start looking that direction! Great suggestion!

Steve 78 likes this.

10. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    there is one guy in the forum here who has made some wonderful leatherworks, let me see if i can recall who it was :)

brobar likes this.

11. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Found it,

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/my-leather-bound-b-bender.661480/

Maybe he can help you ;)

Cheers

brobar likes this.

12. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    brogh likes this.

13. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Glad to help ;)

cheers

brobar likes this.

14. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I sent 'em a message. He hasn't been on here since November of last year so I won't hold my breath that he'll even get that message. But I appreciate the lead and will let you know if he responds.

15. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    ;) if you do a search for leather in the forum a bunch of threads will pop out, maybe surfing them can give you some more hints on where to get that pickguard done, I've seen many threads over the years about that give it a try ;) i can't remember them all hehe

brobar likes this.

16. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Alright... I believe I found the right guy for the job. He is booked out 'till early August but will be starting on it then and said it should be about a 2-week turnaround after he starts it. So end of August it should be done. His portfolio is nice and the pick guards he has done really caught my eye from the beginning.

I contacted the guys who did Waylon's & Hank Jr's guitars there in TN and while they do outstanding work... they were about 33% more. They would have done it for the same price for which I'm getting it done if I didn't want the color, but the color is kind of important on this piece... that is what will make it pop and stand out from a distance. A single stain over texture just wouldn't be the same. The shop who is going to do it specializes in and does outstanding color-work. While it would have been awesome to say "the guys who did Waylon's guitars did my pick guard"... I think I'm going with the right guys for this particular one. If I do ever get a Waylon-style pick guard (or complete cover) for a tele later on down the line... I do know who to contact though.

Once it is all done I'll post pics and the craftsman's info then if he doesn't mind and maybe throw a little work his way if y'all like the end result.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Much appreciated!

17. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    uh, i recall that guy right now,should have mentioned it right away :p glad you sorted it out :)

Cheers

brobar likes this.

18. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Well he is about done with the hand tooling. He still has the dying/coloring, cutting, hole punching, and the stitching to do, but it should be completed and shipped some time next week. I can't wait to see the finished product! It is going to look awesome!

pick_guard_in_progress.JPG

19. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    that's marvelous, really, really happy you found someone to do it!

brobar likes this.

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Very nice work there Brobar.

brobar likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.