Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who can help me with a custom leather pickguard?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by brobar, Jun 16, 2017.

1. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I’m not sure in which forum would be the best to inquire about this, so I just went with the one that gets this most action. If it is more appropriate somewhere else... I apologize, please move to the correct location for me. Thanks.

I’m thinking about adding a leather pick guard to my Classic Vibe Custom, and if I do I thought it would be nice to get a custom one made to pay tribute to my little girl who passed away a little over three years ago on her 5-month birthday. She would be four this July. What I’m thinking about is something simple like a heart with a pair of angel wings and her name, Arya, on it. I’d love a blend of ruggedness for me and femininity for her if that can be done. Obviously I wouldn’t want it to cost nearly as much as the tele, but I also wouldn’t want to under compensate a true craftsman who uses quality materials and does top notch work. So if you have any suggestions on whom (individual or business) that can do a quality custom piece at a reasonable price... I would love to hear them.

Thank you so much!

2. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Sorry about your little girl. What a nice tribute. Unfortunately I have no answer for a leather worker. But there are a few on the forum here who someone will be able to get you in touch with. I'd be willing to chip in on the cost

brobar likes this.

3. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    I am sorry about your doughter.

I saw nice leather pickguards at Ebay, US made. I guess it would be easy to find them.

Also, I saw some guy's work at ads from my area. If I found an info, I'll let you know.

brobar likes this.

4. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Oh thank you so much for that very kind offer. I really do appreciate it, but I couldn't accept that. That's so kind-hearted and generous of you. Bless you for even thinking of that and please take no offense when I say thanks but I really couldn't.

I figured this might be the best place to inquire... I'm sure someone will turn up or put me in touch with someone.

Thanks for that as well. Much appreciated!

Felino likes this.

5. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    I found this on Ebay, under search term
    leather pickguard telecaster

http://ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=leather+pickguard+telecaster

In my country, there is a guy who makes them too. I saw few proces, ranging from about 40 to about 105 US dollars, without shipping. I found him on local internet ads, I don't know about his web site, I could contact him if you want. Never conntacted him. His page with leather staff on internet classifieds

https://kupujemprodajem.com/421590-1-by-bodzi-svi-oglasi.htm#start

I don't know about production process, but I guess that the simplest would be a machine connected to a computer, picture is loaded into computer and machine starts to press leather and form a drawing. So, you must have a picture first.
    I guess there are true artists, who done all by hand.

brobar likes this.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    MK Holloway does very nice work. Last I heard, a custom pickguard from him (or her?) is $150.

brobar likes this.

7. alpinewhite

alpinewhite Tele-Meister

Scatter Lee on this forum does some leather work. I don't know if he takes orders, but you might ask him.

brobar likes this.

8. paparoof

paparoof Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2013
    minneapolis
    Absolutely. https://www.etsy.com/shop/mkholloway

This is my baby:
    20170616_135602.jpg

9. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota

brobar likes this.

10. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Thanks for the leads! I appreciate it.

Felino likes this.

11. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Just messaged MK Holloway on their ETSY page to inquire about commissioning such a piece. I'll keep y'all posted on who eventually does the job and of course I'll post pics when I have it in hand and installed.

Felino and troy2003 like this.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I would think a custom is gonna run you $150 minimum, more like much more, but maybe the guy will give you a deal for such a good cause.

It's not just the actual work involved, it's the design part.

Maybe he can send you some basic templates of his existing designs, and you can send a piece of clip art and text (words and font, etc.) that he would follow.

That would give him a big head start on getting it done.

13. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Yeah... I definitely don't mind doing the simple design myself. But I didn't want to start by throwing the design out there because many artists and craftsmen like to have the creative liberty of taking the idea(s) and coming up with the designs themselves so it is their design and style... which I'm not opposed to either.

I know lots of shops that do amazing custom leather holsters at a reasonable price. I'm sure a few could/would do a pickguard, but I thought I would inquire with the fine folks here first to see whom they've worked with for pickguards before I start pestering those who specialize in holsters and wallets.

14. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's a tricky trade doing leather pickguards, because they need certain punch tools and dye colors/paints which they might not have on hand for your design.

And someone above mentioned some sort of automated way they do this, but that's total news to me. I always assumed it's a totally manual process.

Also, see the leather pickguard in my avatar by clicking on it. (Lousy photo, gotta replace it.) Cost me $95, one of the guy's standard designs, and he doesn't offer a lot.

The screwholes didn't match up, which drilling new ones didn't bother me, and although it wraps the neck perfectly, it overlaps the modern bridge on this, my brand-new Standard Tele Thinline. And interestingly...

He told me he buys the cut leather blanks from elsewhere, and only does the edge braiding, art tooling and painting himself.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    hmm, good info, thanks

best to send him a paper template?

16. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Nah.

He's gonna know the exact dimensions of the guard.

All you want to do is a Google image search for a piece of art you want to use (search Images, clip art young girl, etc.) and just show him a rough outline of the guard and where you want to place the image and text.

He's the artist, and he'll figure it out.

BUT!!!

Do you really want to do this right?

Do you have a good face photo of your angel in digital form? Or a photo you can scan?

You can bring this into Photoshop (or I can for you and others can at our pleasure), and convert it to LINE art. He would then use the line art version to tool/punch it, and possibly the photo to use as a guide to "paint" it with color tones.

It depends on his skills, and whether it's even necessary--line art alone can be fabulous.

Think about the tattoos that some people get.

troy2003 likes this.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And it only takes a few minutes to convert your photo into line art, so please don't think you're putting anyone out by doing this for you.

Photoshop does 99% of this by itself.

18. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Alrighty... I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I've been in touch with MK Holloway, sent them over a mockup which they loved. They are very reasonable on the price. We're just ironing out the dye colors, they'll throw me in the queue after that, and then get to work on it when my place in line rolls around. I've seen some of their portfolio and they do some fantastic work. I have a feeling they'll knock this design out of the park. I can't wait to see the finished work. I'll of course post it on here once I have it installed.

troy2003 likes this.

19. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    So what do you think... with the border on the pick guard or not? I originally designed it with, but the more I look at it I think I like it without. What do y'all think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.