Who bough the Dumble

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by monkeybanana, May 14, 2019.

1. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

I'd buy that "Mangy Cat Fight" pedal the guy uses in post #11.... way kool... good for scaring the children

AxemanVR likes this.
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Dumble does not profit when one of his amps sells after the initial sale.

stevemc and blowtorch like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

This is true, and like the Klon guy, the insanity/inanity built up around his product is maybe not so much of his creating

4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    My understanding is that they sell for exorbitant prices to start with, which therefore drives up the prices thereafter. Add the extremely low production quantity and there you have it: Highly inflated prices!... am I wrong?

Like I said, he can do as he pleases, but his process must influence these insanely high price tags none the less.

Seems like a thoroughly calculated manipulation to me, which makes me even less interested than ever in them...

`

`

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  5. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

He could be slammed with current and previous customers for all we know. I just found out Danocaster closed his list because he has enough work. I am sure Dumble is keeping his contact info hard to find for a reason.

Regarding price, this is TDPRI! Here we can justify wood and wires in the five digits just because they were made pre~1965. I have never been anywhere close to a Dumble but I trust the pros have good taste. If I had infinity dollars I would still be playing what I like. And even though I don't sound like Jack Pearson I would not turn down at '54 Tele haha

6. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

But people would not pay a high price if they didn't want to. We are swamped with boutique this and boutique that. It's a great time to play guitar.

7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Alexander is not to blame for the market. He makes amps of his own design for professional players not dentists. If he wanted to make money he would have licensed his designs to a large manufacturer and sat back and raked in the money.

The amount of money people make off Dumble's designs and reputation far exceeds the money he makes himself. Just think of all the dumble style pedals available let alone the guys like Fuchs who have made a career out of cloning Alexander's amps.

L.A. Mike likes this.
  8. AxemanVR

`
    Okay, fine, so he's not to blame... I still don't find myself all that interested in his stuff since he obviously has no interest in providing anything for the likes of me. But your support is quite admirable...

`

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

you realize that Dumble doesn't sell them for 100k right? those are used prices, he sees none of that money. to get him to build an amp for you, YOU have to qualify. He has to want to.

It is similar to commissioning an artist vs. ordering a pizza... he decides if he wants to make you one or not. So, you may be 'sure' of lots of stuff, but that doesn't make it... you know, like factual.

10. getbent

and yet... here we are.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Hoyt Axton owned it?

Not sure who that is, but I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a used tube combo if Jimi Hendrix owned it.

getbent likes this.
  12. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

just maybe step back and look at the end game for a moment.

i get the jaw drop at the amount of coin exchanged for a guitar amplifier, but then what?

for the most part, I think the world is fresh out of "righteous indignation" trophies.

Don't like the price required to buy? Congratulations, your goal has been achieved! You. don't. have. to. buy. one.

there, I said it slow.

Feel like you want one anyway or that somehow, the price point has been picked with your personal economics in mind?

Yeah, it's all about the telecaster forumites who are righteously indignant at the price of an inanimate object.

Again, I salute you!

I think the fine art analogy fits. Million dollar paintings that just sit on wall, waiting to be looked at.

If your sense of humor gets disengaged so easily, it's probably beer thirty.

cheers. I like guitars. I like beer. stop by sometime, we'll play and drink. And laugh!

stnmtthw, Fuelish and getbent like this.
  13. AxemanVR

`
    Yeah, I totally get all that. Thanks, but I've already decided I don't want anything associated with the name "Dumble", so now I can sleep at night without worrying about whether or not I'm worthy...

[​IMG]
    `

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's fun to make fun though. That's what it's really all about. And then of course it's even more fun to watch people try to defend that kind of ridiculousness.

Like the Frrrozen Haute Chocolate Ice Cream Sundae – $25,000.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rt-sets-guinness-record-idUSN0753679220071107
    upload_2019-5-16_14-55-40.jpeg
    It makes you ask "What kind of idiot...?"
    :lol:

AxemanVR and teletimetx like this.
  15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

if you want to know what the hype is all about, go buy yourself a Ceriatone Lunchbox OTS Mini for $700. It's a Skyliner front end and a dual 6v6 power section, not exactly the Dumble of legend but ballpark. I had one for a while and found that it still had too many options for a klutz like me. I really like a simple amp with a great basic tone that can adapt to different playing situations, and I don't need the infinite sustain / note flipping thing. Which the OTS Mini will do, once you figure out how to drive it. Overall a likable little amp, and a fun one to play around with, but for gigs I like 'em simple.

You're welcome -- I just saved you $99,300.

AxemanVR likes this.
  16. getbent

Me? I was happy all the way along. I think most people are probably pretty happy. Most of the people I know are mostly happy... Envy and jealousy are either really great motivators or world shrinkers... stuff almost never makes a person happy... if you are happy and you get some cool thing, you'll be happy with a cool thing... if a guy looks for other people to make them happy, well, that is tough bet to be sure...

There have been things I have seen in this life that I thought 'I want that'... and I made a plan and worked the plan and I got it. I read an article years ago about Tone King amps and I thought 'yeah, I want a double deluxe PLUS the other feature'... and I started setting gig money aside, then I came into some money from a bonus or two... and then one day I realized, 'shoot, i don't have to wait, I can get this thing if I want it.'

And Mark didn't make them any more. So, a dealer I knew and I started bugging him to make me one. He is a super nice guy and after a couple of phone calls, he laughed and said, 'okay' 10 weeks later, it showed up... NOBDODY on this planet ever loved an amp more than that. But, I kept gigging my music man and my super reverb and my blues deluxe for another 2 years... until I just started taking it and I played the daylights out of it... Then, one day, I was done. I sold it in 3 hours.

I don't want one now, but I loved it. Same with my last super, I loved that thing... then. poof. I try not to envy things and think then that the envy hurts so I project that onto some 'thing'.... If I envy or covet or am jealous, I sit down and either make a plan to go get it or I think it through and let the emotions go. The threads where people rail against the 'stupid rich' are puzzlers. If our options were limitless, we'd think about our choices differently. I know that as my options changed, I considered things that before just weren't part of the plan. Grazing for happiness is for cattle... I think we are more likely to find happiness if we seek out its ingredients thoughtfully and with purpose.

Empathy is a weird thing.... If you know about Dumble's beginnings and his work career, things make more sense... If you know amp guys, same thing. A guy I went to high school with (and a great guitar player) went to trade school after high school (which was weird, he could have been a college professor type) anyway, he went for electronics, ended up opening an amp repair shop, then later amps and synths and even electronic repairs and mods etc...

He is the 'authorized' repair guy for like yamaha and that kind of stuff too... he is also one of three people authorized to work on dumble amps. I asked him, since I've only messed with a couple of dumbles and know that the are a different animal, tuned to the person who bought the amp, if they were 'all that'...

He simply said, 'yes. that is why people pay so much for them.' no wink, no smile, no nod.

I think it is like that.

I've been to the grand canyon... when you walk to the edge and really gather it all in for the first time, you have a moment where you recognize... 'yeah... this is something' but, when you talk to people who have never been BUT seen the movie or a show or something... they are, well, surmising and fitting it to their narrative.... which is cool and normal and understandable...

Festus_Hagen likes this.
  17. AxemanVR

`
    wow...

`

18. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

A grand per watt. Yikes.

AxemanVR likes this.
  19. nixdad

nixdad Tele-Meister

Like I keep saying, last car-Audi A8. Always wanted one. Could afford a 2000 I got for a great price and had the money so bam.
    Present car? Civic.
    Happy.

getbent likes this.
  20. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

The Decider....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.