Who bough the Dumble

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by monkeybanana, May 14, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

didn't hoyt do some "acting" on WKRP?

I personally can't think of any Hoyt Axton songs where I've noticed the rarified air of Dumble tone

Hammerhead likes this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

some guys dig their 2006 honda civic.... and see the dude tooling in his maserati and say, 'we both get to work at the same time'

and... they are right! here is the acid test... if you can't afford the indulgence, any opinion you have about it is theoretical and does not matter... it is clear in the factual evidence that peeps who CAN afford the indulgence DO... so, they do know something that you can't.

3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Can you afford a $100,000 amp? I'm not asking if you've got that kind of money laying around, but can you just plop down $100k on a single item without having to even consider whether it's worth it or not?

Anyway, of course a millionaire is going to say it's worth it... what else are they going to say?

`

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I want one...
    You probably do, too.

Hammerhead, LutherBurger and getbent like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

I will never be in the market for a Dumble but I do kind of get it. I used to be into stereos. You could get a basic stereo for $250 or so or spend fifty times that. The difference in sound wasn’t fifty times better but to upgrade it that much cost multiples of the basic. By everyone’s description of these amplifiers I see this same thing.

I am satisfied with my 68 Princeton Reverb Reissue so I am pretty sure this is way past my market and I can’t afford it.

6. blowtorch

And yet, plenty of players who could easily afford a Dumble don't own one, so, there is that...

Makes as much sense as other lines of reasoning offered earlier

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

a 'millionaire'? update your economic expectations! the US is rife with folks who are millionaires... a million dollars is not what it once was... to be even 'a rich dude' you'd need, I dunno pretty close to 10m to even qualify. My secretary just had her next door neighbor sell their house for 944,000.00... it is nearly identical to hers and it was a little 'under' market because the update they'd done was 4 years old...

We know, fo sho, that Dumbles can and do sell for that getus, it isn't a theoretical. I will admit to having dropped serious coin on something that someone might question its value, but, I do not care because, well, I afforded it, I pay my taxes and, you know, free country and all that... worrying over what peeps want to spend their money on is like classifying old dudes who wear black tshirts and goatees...

I went to the 1998 or 99 all star baseball game in denver... it was at the height of the 'beanie baby' craze... as the 'elite' who attended the game, we were given a special all star beanie baby... after the game, we were flocked by people wanting to buy them... I sold mine for like 430.00! I covered my costs plus some for going to the game... The beanie baby thing was never my thing, but I am a fan because, well, I got to go to a cool game and have lots of fun for no cost!

I know they aren't making duesenberg cars anymore, and we can say, well, the scrap value of one would be like 300.00... so, how on earth could anyone ask 22 million? ahh the questions we ask as we bang down the highway! I'd note that I played a tone king imperial for many years, but sold it and now mostly use my fender mustang III... I don't value stuff the same way that others do... but, I don't question that my tone king was worth 1700.00 when I bought it... nor that my mustang is a cool amp and I dig it. There are absolute differences... but, if I suddenly got the dumble bug, I'd get one... and I wouldn't look at someone who had one before me with envy... I'd just nod and go do whatever I needed to get what I wanted...

as for 'bitter end'... I'm the opposite bitter... I don't have any interest (right now) in having a dumble... but, I think dudes who love that stuff and want one and have saved their money to get one... COOL! For the guy who picked one up when they were 35K (I remember seeing several for that) and played it for a couple of years then flipped it for 100K woo hoo! I've done stuff like that and it is fun to flip stuff... I flipped 7 houses in my youth to get my family into a house I really wanted.... why not!?

8. AxemanVR

I actually do get it too... I just think some people are confusing "rarity" with "value". I’m not disputing the quality, but just because the guy only makes three amps a year doesn't mean it's worth that much more - despite any “supply and demand” arguments.

$10,000? Well, maybe...

$100,000?!?...

I guess my point is "perspective". After all, a lot of people read these threads and get G.A.S. over such things. IMO, there are plenty of wonderful products out there that won't break the bank, so portraying one product as being astronomically better is not only profoundly misleading (imo) but isn't really helpful either and can even be potentially harmful (also imo). Regardless of what anyone believes (and assuming that it actually is somehow "better") it still seems theoretically improbable that a Dumble is even 100% superior to its closest competitor - not to mention 1000%.

Of course, getbent is correct, I can only base my opinion on the amps I've actually tried, but I've plugged into some delicious sounding amps in my 39 years of playing and never once thought to myself "Boy, if I could just squeeze a little more deliciousness out of this amp, it'd be SO worth paying $95,000 more!"...

`

9. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

He was on one episode and played Jennifer's old boyfriend from her hometown.

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Paying 100k 95k of those amps gets you the bragging rights and a piece of nostalgia.

Ridiculous but still a better buy than many other things rich folks tend to waste their money on.

11. blowtorch

I'd be embarrassed, personally, at my obvious lack of pragmatism and practicality, and my misplaced priorities.

Heck, I'm embarassed at the stuff I do own. And none of it is boutique or rare. But just the overabundance and redundancy of it. People see all my toys, and they (some of them) are all "wow, cool!" and I say no, it's not cool, it's ridiculous

12. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

I bought it.
    Food, family, and shelter are overrated.

getbent, Chunkocaster and blowtorch like this.
  13. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Of course it is not 'worth' it. it is metal and wood. The idea that it is worth it because it is so 'good' is laughable.

It's more of a fine art analogy. No fine art is valued on it breathtaking beauty or technical brilliance. The prices are set and controlled by a handful of rich collectors who decide on the value. Joe is helping to keep the value up. And he will make money on it. That an amplifiers is also more useful than a statue is just a nice benefit.

blowtorch and AxemanVR like this.
  14. blowtorch

Out-of-control-consumerism is a blight on our society and a symptom of an illness deep within.
    Dumbles and the money they command are a symbol of that, IMO

And of course anyone who has more money than common sense is free to waste it in whatever manner they choose

Chunkocaster and AxemanVR like this.
  15. AxemanVR

`
    I'm sure Mr. Dumble would disagree...

`

16. blowtorch

I don't know that Dumble himself is to blame for this

stnmtthw likes this.
  17. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I wish Jack Pearson had one to play his Squier Strat through.

loco gringo and getbent like this.
  18. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

The point is they are not necessarily $100,00 better but way rarer. Those who can afford will. There are a lot of people in this world to whom price is immaterial. There are many many more to whom it is.
    Think Rolex. Think Ferrari. You can get from A to B on time for a lot less. But....

19. AxemanVR

`
    I don't know either, but is it possible to make more than three a year? Or does his so-called "magic" actually take four months to manifest?

In other words; Could his design(s) be mass produced or is he "milking a good thing" for all its worth?

I know, I know, it is his to do as he wishes, but I'd personally have a much greater sense of pride knowing my creations can reach more people rather than being hoarded by the privileged few. Of course Elitists have no such conscience I suppose...

`

20. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Mustang Sally in the local bar sounds awesome thru an ODS!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.