Who bough the Dumble

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by monkeybanana, May 14, 2019.

1. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

If there's ever a Dumble Overdraft Special, that'll probably be my amp. :)

2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Maybe you'll be able to afford one if you work your fingers to the bone.

gtrplr and John O like this.
  3. John O

John O Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Robben Ford's famed Dumble, 4/30/19 at Penn State

5619 001.JPG

4. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

I almost bought it but I already have 3 Dumbles (guarded by zombie unicorns).

SecretSquirrel and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Dang pretty ballsy setting those water bottles on there! I won't even set a drink on a Bandit.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I never forgave him for that Jeremiah was a bullfrog thing :p

AxemanVR and rickthescot like this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

and so it begins!

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

well, you can't deny that it's an amp

John O and getbent like this.
  9. getbent

the amp of amps.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

If we have the single line circuit schematic, and purchase the $300 worth of components and chassis, could we build an identical twin?

Or, could I call up Mr Dumble, and have him build an identical twin?

If we offer a continuing education course in building a Dumble, and have 20 students build the same circuit, using the same components, would we have 20 identical twins, or will each be different?

Or, is there some other factor besides the LRC values and components, that makes a Dumble-built amplifier different?

Here's a 62 Fender Deluxe repaired by Dumble, only 22k:

https://reverb.com/item/8002544-dum...h0ISgXREAYYASABEgKtzPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

And here's an article on Dumble's wait list requirements, and a couple recent sales/listing of Dumbles:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/guitaraficionado/the-find-1991-dumble-overdrive-special

11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

It's far more than that. For a mere 50 watt, you're looking at over $220 on the transformers, alone. With a finished cab, don't be surprised if it costs $1000 in parts. (FWIW I just did a D style build about $1200 in parts, including tubes, for a head unit.)

Each will probably be different, unless they follow the same exact layout, and lay the wires down in the exact same way.
    D-style amps along with most high gain amps are very sensitive to lead dress, component spacing and layout. If the amps are built differently, they'll perform differently. You can literally move a wire a few millimeters and go from instability and nasty fizzy tone, to a stable and proper sound.

I remember Peavey tried to mass produce a Dumble ODS and it failed miserably. It was called the 'Masterpiece' and the one sound clip I heard, was horrendous. They definitely didn't execute something correctly.

It's not a unicorn circuit, but it takes a lot more attention to detail to build properly, compared to your average Fender. After building, they also benefit from careful tuning, as well. I know of a D-style clone builder who routinely sells their amps for 4k-6k and they claim that there are times they're making less than minimum wage building the amps, after you factor in all the hours needed to put in. Fuchs does a good job of mass producing a refined D style circuit, by using high quality, well designed PCB's that offer high consistency, and much less labor time. Though, those amps still end up in the 2K-4k range, depending on options. (As do Bogners and Engls and other high quality PCB amps, pretty much up there with hand wired prices)

rogb likes this.
  12. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Yep, a 100w head runs well over $1200 in parts, especially in the UK with taxes and shipping. Every one I have built I have sold just to break even to release funds for another build, the fun part for me!

There is a lot of misunderstanding and almost sounds like some kind of jealousy with Dumbles. There are only a few hundred in existence, they are well-built with astonishing attention to detail, tuned to the player they are made for.

Supply and demand, they are hard to find and try getting one built new!
    The ones I have built, I built standard according to the model, then tweaked to suit me, that's how it's done. They need a certain style of playing and technique, the Marshall "dig in" doesn't necessarily work with Dumbles. There is incredible note separation and clarity, no "sag" and there's nowhere to run if hitting clams is part of a slightly sloppy technique.

I did email HAD some years back to ask about building a pair of amps but he said he was too busy supplying world-class players, so there you have it!

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I was eyeing that little jewel. I made them an offer, but, they nor their zombie unicorns were amused.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

"Let's get ready to Dumble!"

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Yup, I'm on the same thing and that looks like it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

16. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    @getbent is obviously an ardent proponent of the Dumble amp consortium and is apparently willing to no doubt argue on their behalf to the bitter end, but can anyone actually say that Dumbles are 900 to 1000% better than anything in the known universe, because that's what they'd have to be in order to be worth $100,000...

`

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Mad Kiwi likes this.
  17. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Lark Street Music in NJ has an ODS combo... Get it while it's hot!

18. getbent

I live 30 minutes from where they host the 'concours d'elegance' which shows and auctions cars that sell for millions and millions of dollars. the car in the pic went for 22 million dollars.

[​IMG]

it costs about 500.00 for a ticket to the event (just to go look.) I can assure you that your metric is eclipsed by the cost of this vehicle (and many many others at this event) compared to the venerable 2006 honda civic that many will drive with alacrity and discuss the 'soul' it has because it slogs the 101 north to their gigs every day.... I'd bet that honda would be more 'reliable' in doing that task than the duesenberg.... but the deuce will still command 22 million and the honda will still be 3500 on craigslist (replaced the belt ftw!)

I was mocking that people will always be drawn to the Dumble thing and it always ends up being a goofy class struggle thing...

If you had a billion dollars (or just millions like Robben Ford) and money was no longer a consideration (I do know people who don't care the cost, just when can it be done and do they have to hear or consider any crapola around the project, if no, get to it and get it done and all smiles, eh) there is a definite market for tools like the Dumble.

We write our own narrative, and so, most of us kinda know how it will turn out... you'll know how you'll 'feel' about this because, well, there are rules! (in our heads)

Most of us will never know what it is to not have a budget or fiscal limitations.... so, it is all theoretical for us... but, if you've seen a dumble or played one or been around one of the artists and their work when they are using one... you have a better chance of accepting that they are unique (like the duesenberg) to the degree that for the right person with the right lack of budget constraints, it would make total sense... for the guy who sold his dumble for 50K, that 5K investment 20 years ago is not a bad return, right?

stnmtthw and Chunkocaster like this.
  19. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    I get that, but I'd also personally expect a considerable return for my investment.

So, unless that Dumble amp literally levitates and glows with a halo as the heavens open up to Cherubs singing "Alleluia" when I plug it in (metaphorically referring to the tones that had better be coming out of it when I first hear it), I'm sorry, I just can't imagine it being worth that much and would feel like an absolute fool if it only sounded marginally better than anything else I have... regardless whether I could afford it or not.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but since I'm already in love with the amps I've already got, a $100,000 amp seems to be a ridiculous indulgence to me...

`
    `

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  20. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

Like most things, the price of amps tends to increase exponentially to get linear improvements. You get the most bang for your extra bucks at the bottom end rather than the top.

blowtorch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.