Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Who are best up-and-coming pedal builders out there?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Masonian, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Masonian

Masonian TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Kauai, HI
    We all know it's the Golden Age of pedals right now. We all know about Wampler, JHS, Earthquaker, etc.

But SO MANY builders/companies fly under the radar.

I'm curious, who are some of your fav up-and-coming builders/companies?
    Or maybe just give a shout out to one of the smaller/lesser-known builders who deserves more recognition.

Who should we be hearing about?

2. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    One's I've had experience with, Catlinbread and J. Rockett come to mind. The other's that i've had are pretty well known. Come to think of it, neither one of these may qualify as under the radar.

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Boss. Proco. DOD. Maxon.

4pickupguy and bendercaster like this.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Catalinbread, VFE, Mr. Black and Subdecay. Yup, it must be the water in the Northwest and no doubt the peak of the pedal golden era.:cool: We are so lucky to be alive.:)

-Hawk- and RetroTeleRod like this.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Don't know if they're "up and coming", but I'm a fan of Chicago Stompworks right now.

6. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I want 2 of these !

also this puppy

I know Eventide hhas been around for ever but this pedal is worth every sheckel

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Never underestimate BOSS!
    Always check out their option when looking for a specific effect.

8. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    Emerson & Strymon

9. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    To be cool, it has to be non-US, non-Far-East.
    non southern-Europe, possibly British, probably more North and twinkley like Finland.

That would be, Mad Professor then.

the tool likes this.

10. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden
    Eastern europe (poland, czech, latvia, some in russia). They all got weird names and are terrible at marketing themselves...

Theres a couple in Scandinavia to (sweden, norway, denmark, finland)
    Lunastone in denmark could be considered as "up and coming".

Tiny Pedals in sweden has been around for years, one of the first to do really small pedals, but when the world started mass producing mini pedals he got tired of it. I think he makes standard sized pedals now, really good ones!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

11. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    parasit studios, function f(x)

12. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I came up in the era when Digitech pedals were a joke, but their new line of pedals including the Obscura, Ventura and Polara are seriously nice.

jddub440 likes this.

13. fretwhizzy

fretwhizzy TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    UK
    Source Audio, Sonuus and Two Notes are all making innovative products that can be used straightforwardly but also offer the possibility of digging deeper, and particularly for those who use Midi, really expand what you can get from a compact rig. One thing that really impressed me about all three mentioned is that they've added substantial extra functionality to their products via software updates long after release, not just bug fixes or finally making something work as advertised, but, for example, my Sonuus Voluum suddenly became a really good tuner in addition to its other functions, my Torpedo Cab didn't used to have reverb but now does. Impressed!

14. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

15. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    I've had a few MJM pedals, sound good, built well and cop the sound they pitch. Monsterpiece makes a nice fuzz. Mike Hudson from the Uk. I got a good Retroman tone bender. They're the pick of the smaller lesser known builders I've got experience with.

16. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA

17. dankomal

dankomal Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2007
    manchester
    Got a nice germanium fuzz mojo edition from Expresso FX, only a few miles from me too.
    Cleans up wonderfully with my strat, well worth a look.

18. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 16, 2010
    New York City
    Xact Tone Solutions (XTS). They're based in Nashville. Been around a while, should be better known, and are excellent.

http://www.xacttone.com/products.html

I was on the waiting list for an Analogman KOT when someone turned me on to their stuff. Picked up a Multi-Drive and then the Preamp for my big board. Dropped off the list when my name came up for the KOT. It's a great unit, but I don't need it, now.

juxtapolice and Hackweed like this.

19. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Two Canadian companies doing some REALLY cool stuff:
    Fairfield Circuitry

Industrialectric

Another weird company that makes more noise devices than pedals, but all in pedal format (though not all are for guitar or even have inputs):
    Electro Faustus

Obsessed likes this.

20. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    There is a local gentleman near me in the Seattle area who builds pedals, the company is called (recovery)
    With the parentheses on either side....dudes name is graig markel, I've not met him nor tried any of the effects yet but I drool over the sounds the pedals creates in his demos!

And though I am far from being named one of the best up-and-coming builders, I have been building my own effects for about a year now and I've been hoping to start a small garage style effects company as a side business and try to get my builds out into the world on the cheap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.