Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Whitegaurd era tone? Can you define ?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by I own a Tele, Mar 31, 2016.

1. I own a Tele

I own a Tele Tele-Meister

May 22, 2011
    texas
    Just wondering what whitegaurd tone is for most people.

Can you distinguish and list for each year of this era 1955-1959?

Is it luther perkins? is it don rich?

Would you say it's the best for chicken picken ? country twang? rock?

Does a 59 count as whitegaurd tone or early 60s?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Having had the pleasure of owning a few, in the day, I'll weigh in.
    My 55 Esquire (refin) was twangy.
    It reminded me of Jim Messina's Tele tone.
    I loved it/that about it.
    My 57 Tele was also bright and twangy.
    I disliked it's neck pickup, but I almost always dislike stock Tele neck pickups.
    Both were light weight, with one piece bodies.
    I also had several 59-62 slab board blonde Teles, technically all white guards.
    They also sounded great!
    Generally, I find white guard Teles to be "twangier" and less "gutsy" sounding that black guards.

3. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    Dad had a 58-59ish whiteguard. I remember it being bright, twangy, and, punchy. He played it through a 58 brown tolex vibrolux. I came back from Vietnam in the early 70s and he had gotten rid of that hole rig. Sure wish he would have kept it. Cheers!!

4. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

I think this tone is probably my fave. The fills and then the solo on the bridge pickup:

5. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    I always thought of Steve Cropper's tone as being classic whiteguard, but I read recently that he played an early '50s Esquire on many recordings so now I'm not so sure.

6. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France

Yeah, Robbie Hoddinott, probably playing on his 55 telly. I saw a very sad ebay ad in 2010 where his 55 telecaster was for sell with a black guard on it. He was doing some playing in the shop that was selling it for him. He seemed to be 100 years old. Wonderful guitar player, thanks to share this film, what he does on this stage is pure beauty.

Speaking of blackguard tone, let's ask those two famous unknown guitarists:

buddyboy likes this.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Gaston was in another world. It is a pity that the focus is so bad there. I am thinking that he has a Barden in the bridge of that Tele.....but it is almost impossible to see. I think I see the bar magnets, though. The Barden bridge p-up was installed in 1973.....so, I am thinking that this is maybe not a pure 'Tele' sound we hear here. There is a hi-if clarity that the Bardens do that I hear here.....
    But who cares.....what he could do on any guitar is amazing.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Okay...watched it again...without a doubt there are two Bardens in that Tele. I need to get my Brian Poe built Broadcaster body put into guitar form with the pair of original Joe Bardens in it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.