Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

White witch hat knob supplier!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by lawlesswjj, Nov 12, 2011.

1. lawlesswjj

lawlesswjj TDPRI Member

I think I said something about this once upon a time in another forum, but I feel like I should throw this out there for anybody who is wanting some white witch hat knobs for a build. Maybe like a white themed 72 deluxe...

I guess the story is that these were very hard to come by, only being made in the 60's at some point (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I bought some off a guy who had some NOS ones he scored from a closed factory or something, and payed quite a chunk of change for them. Good guy, fast shipping, no complaints what-so-ever.

But NOW someone's making them again, and they turned up for $20 for a set of four on guitarpartsresource.com. (a lot less than I payed, lemme tell you) Hopefully this saves someone some money and a lot of hassle of tracking down the old ones!

2. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

eBay has them for anywhere from 2-6bucks

3. lawlesswjj

lawlesswjj TDPRI Member

Also good to know. It must be hit or miss since at the time I was trying to make my build come together, I tore up every internet floorboard I could find, eventually getting it done with a nice fellow on offset. Hopefully that ebay deal'll hold as well. I won't even talk about what I paid... ;)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Comment removed.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

7. omarvolta

omarvolta TDPRI Member

They are 'amp' witch hats. 'Guitar' witch hats have the numbers the other way around(and a few other details). Still better than none at all!

guitarpartsresource

[​IMG]

original white witch hat

[​IMG]

8. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

I also need some for my Jazzmaster....where the hell can i get them?

9. Danocaster

Danocaster Tele-Holic

the originals are pretty much nearly impossible to find

the Moderator over at Offsetguitars.com had a stash of NOS ones and I bought a dozen or so pairs but I'm pretty sure he's all dried up

original pairs go for $100+ on Ebay

the new repros mentioned above are a pretty good alternative but not the same - and they are for split shaft pots - whereas the originals have a set screw and are for use w/ solid shaft

Here's a set of the guitarpartresource ones I used recently on a Black Danocaster offset... the Olympic White Danocaster has a pair of original white witch hats

when you get past the stickler details - they actually look the part - well..close enough for $10 a pair ;):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

I have never noticed White Witch hats before...VERY COOL looking!!!

11. Danocaster

Danocaster Tele-Holic

Fender used the white witches on the Jazzmaster ( and the Jag also , I believe ) from about '65 onward

before the witch hats , Jazzmasters used the more common strat style knob ( but , unlike the strat, made for a solid shaft pot - making those very rare and valuable also)

12. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

Musician's Friend has a variety, including a Tele volume knob. Their set of 3 white isn't 20 bucks.

13. lawlesswjj

lawlesswjj TDPRI Member

I just looked and couldn't find them on MF. Maybe they're in some deep dark corner...

Also, I never noticed the detail about the new ones from guitarpartsresource not using a set screw. I have two spare of the old ones in mint shape that I bought for my project. I could part with them if it'd make someone's instrument all it could be, but I'd at least want to get my money out of them since I paid too much in the first place. Either way, I'm not in any hurry to be rid of them. The whole point of the thread was that I didn't want anyone to have to pay what I did! ;)

And by the way, that white Jazzmaster is NICE.

14. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

Should;ve been more instructive. Sorry.

Go to musiciansfriend.com

Accessories

Fretted Instrument Accessories

General Parts

Potentiometers & Knobs for Fretted Instruments

or try the direct link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-strat-knobs-1-volume-2-tone

15. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

16. rbrown

rbrown Tele-Meister

wrong knobs Ratio those are strat knobs

17. Danocaster

Danocaster Tele-Holic

this topic has been pretty exhausted over on www.offsetguitars.com where it's all about the Jazzmaster and Jaguar ( which are the vintage guitars these came on )

the only 2 options for white witch hats are :

- throw down the cash for the real deal vintage ones

- use the ones on guitarpartresource ( although they are a little different )

18. lawlesswjj

lawlesswjj TDPRI Member

Yeeap. That seems to be the case. The difference between the guitarpartsresource ones and the real deal wouldn't really bug me though, as a guy who has a few of the old ones to look at here. Unless someone's getting them for a restore, I say save some money and get the new ones. Heck, I didn't even notice the differences until they were pointed out to me!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.