Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Thinline?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Paul Jenkin, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I'm considering getting a semi-acoustic / thinline but don't want to pay a fortune. I've seen a couple (in the UK):

- Squier Modified Thinline '72
    - Squier Modern Player Thinline Deluxe

Are there any other current models that are worth considering? If not, which of these might suit a blues / blues rock sound best?

-Hawk- likes this.

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    The MP will handle either style. It's a decent guitar.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    The Modern Player is a "Fender", but made in the same factory as the Classic Vibe Squiers.

It is a tough choice. The only way to know is to play them... I'm fond of thinlines too, and always keep changing my mind over which one I like the best: Squier '72 Thinline, Fender Modern Player Thinline, Squier Classic Vibe ('69) Thinline.

Are there shops nearby where you can try them? Or perhaps a little trip to Denmark Street in London?

Paul Jenkin and TeleTucson like this.

4. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    This is all about the pickups IMO. The Squier 72 vintage modified thinline has the reissue "WRHB" (which is not really a WRHB at all, but made to look like one), while the Modern Player thinline, as stated, is a Fender but has p-90's in it. These will sound very different - and my experience was that the neck in the 72 vintage modified was way too muddy for me, and I had to swap it out. There's very little left of that guitar now that has not been changed out, but the Squier body did make for my favorite partscaster.

So, looks are nice, but I agree with nicod98 that you need to play them and see which sound you like.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

5. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    My MIM 69 Thinline RI has been with me for a loooooong time while others have come and gone. Only major mods I did were 4 way and pot replacement (1meg to 500k to 250k...), strictly personal preferences. The heck is what makes it.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I would snap up a P-90 equipped or CV, I am partial to the CV line of axes myself, but love a P-90 exe. Tough call, play 'me all and see what speaks to you....

Paul Jenkin likes this.

7. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 19, 2016
    S.F. Bay Area
    Just tossing in another note of praise for the MP. I'd never really played P 90's before, and I'm really enjoying the wide range of tones it offers. And I love the light weight; these days, when I go to GC to try out guitars, they start to feel like anchors by comparison.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

8. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thanks for the thoughts, folks. So, am I right in assuming that the Squier Thinline Modified '72 has P90's and the "Modern Player" has humbuckers?

My (Indonesian) Hamer XT has Hamer-branded soapbar P90s and I like them a lot. I'll take a trip to a Fender-selling guitar emporium soon. Maybe London or maybe south of the river - have to see who has what in stock :)

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Nope... '72 model has Wide-Range Humbucker (or lookalikes)
    Modern Player has P90s
    Classic Vibe has regular (typical) single coil pickups

Paul Jenkin likes this.

10. Paul Jenkin

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Thanks for putting me straight.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.