Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Telecaster more than met your expectations from day one?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Vintagebrit, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis

2. Capn Rory

Capn Rory Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2007
    Edmonton AB
    Fender G.E. Smith signature in my avatar, early model with a serial number on the headstock.

Gretschman likes this.

3. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    leicester uk
    As many have said, the Baja 60's tele, no need to say more, its all been said. :)

Piggy Stu and RadioFM74 like this.

4. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    IMG_5603.jpg IMG_5604.jpg IMG_5608.jpg IMG_6014.JPG My '94 USA Fender Telecaster Plus v1 in blueburst. It dots all the I's and crosses all the T's

5. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Bajas are cool. US-Special also... to me anyway ...BUT I like all three sets of those pick-ups in both Bajas 60 and 50 and the Special. They are all very similar to my ear. And right up my lane, which means you'll like the AV with the same pick-ups also.

Piggy Stu likes this.

6. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    I got an affinity tele in the early 90s for my daughter gave it a good set up and going on 20 years later iv still got it.. .got many high end guitars but the affinity tele is my go to guitar. even unplugged it sound great. also the neck has aged nicely to a nice amber colour. I need to sell this tele so I can play my over guitars more but I cant bring myself to..my daughter never got the tele.

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Wow! What a find!

8. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    I really love my 60s Baja. I've finally found the Tele sound I had in my head.

I've just changed the saddles for compensated ones and the pickguard from white to black.

BAJA step3.jpg

tery likes this.

9. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    MIJ Tokai tele.

10. francis57

francis57 TDPRI Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Kingston, ON
    The very first "ahhh..." guitar I ever touched was a 1998 Fiesta Red California Series Fat Tele. Not my fave colour (eh?) but a very well constructed, well set up and comfortably light axe. It felt better than my 1971 Vintage White (classic blonde) USA CBS Tele. Eventually both were gone when my next "ahhh..." guitar, a 1990 USA Vintage Reissue Butterscotch '52 Telecaster, with an unusually slim 'C' neck, showed up. It was gorgeously tinted and aged and was my first stage guitar, which I played for a few years until I touched my first stock Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster. Once I felt the resonance of a 'U' shaped neck with a quality ash body and lacquer finish, I was hooked. It was "ahhhhh..." heaven. I have owned about 25 of them, bought and sold, and am down to my 4 lifetime keepers. The one I play the least but look at the most is a stock 2005ish Closet Classic, blackguard, 3TSB ash, tinted maple neck, '59 Duncan hummer rhythm, 6 lbs. 9 oz. goddess. It only gets played at home. Then there was the stock 2007ish Closet Classic, whiteguard, Lake Placid Blue, tinted maple neck 6 lbs. 14 oz. beauty that I sold to a fellow in Australia... I still regret that sale to this day... In hindsight the best feeling guitar I've ever played on stage. I did get back in touch with the buyer and requested lifetime 'right of first refusal' contact if he ever decides to sell the guitar... He agreed. I'm patiently waiting...

Moral: Close your eyes and have people hand you guitars. THE ONE is the one you will feel is like a found missing part of you.

I know that sounds somewhat Carlos Santana-like but for those of you that know what I'm talking about, you know the truth of this.

If you are committed to play for life, find your ONE... Cheers

11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    I edit my post. The 60s Baja is definitely the overachiever in the stable. Giving it a bone nut and compensated saddles has made it even better.
    My lovely 60th Anniversary American Standard will have to go, as I have discovered my vers strong preference for vintage-style teles and want to fund a nice AVRI or “50s whiteguard” partscaster.

Piggy Stu likes this.

12. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    Actually, most of the late '80s/early '90s Reissue Fenders came with a generic slim C neck shape, that Fender thought would suit most players. In 1998, Fender revamped the American Vintage Reissues and gave them more accurate (thicker) neck shapes, body edge radii, etc.

13. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    UK
    Back to the OP, for me, it was the Custom Shop '51 Nocaster. In my case, in Closet Classic finish.

I've had the guitar about 8 years now, and it still puts a smile on my face!

14. PelhamSG

PelhamSG TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    chicago
    My Baja tele. I went into the guitar store with ZERO intent on buying anything. Saw the Baja on the wall and decided to give it a shot. LESS THAN 5 minutes into playing it unplugged, I knew it was mine. Im usually not compulsive, but when I guitar is so perfect, I had to have it. I knew I wanted a tele, but I had no idea id find it that day. It was actually so good I bought it without plugging in. I already knew they sound good from watching tons of reviews online. Plus if there was an electronics problem I could just return it. Got home and plugged it in and it was perfect. it was love at first strum :D
    [​IMG]

rooboo, El Tele Lobo and Piggy Stu like this.

15. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    American Professional 2017.

cyberglad likes this.

16. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    My CV is an '08. I've bought and sold many guitars over the past decade and the CV is still in the herd. I've done the same with the tort upgrade and added an electrosocket jack. That's all the upgrades that it needed since I bought it. ;)

It's also one of the only Fenders I own that have a quarter sawn neck. The only downside I can site would be the softness of the frets which many others have mentioned.

After almost a decade of ownership I can say I haven't yet bought a better guitar for $379. :D

17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    That rarely happens to me with anything. I generally need a bit to warm up to any guitar. Maybe it's just me.

18. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    MIM Standard. A trained luthier took it next, shimmed the neck slightly, and added a bone nut. He particularly like this one, and commented that it definitely was not made on a Monday.

19. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    My Fender American Elite Telecaster has done it for me. i doubt anything short of Fender Custom Shop can replace it. If it ever got lost or stolen, i would buy the exact same guitar, same replacement pickups, same color, everything. Even the same damn pick!

[​IMG]

20. rooboo

rooboo TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    I play lefty and good guitars are few and far apart. But I played a custom shop 51 heavy relic tele I found in a music store a couple of days ago. I don't really like the heavy relicing thing, it looks so fake. And it was way out of my price rane. But it was also probably the best guitar I've ever played. Fattest neck I've seen, I really liked it. The whole guitar was resonant as hell. I never wanted to leave the store. Damn what a guitar! A shame really they reliced it so hard.

Here's a picture from the store's web page. This is the actual guitar I played:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.