Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Telecaster more than met your expectations from day one?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Vintagebrit, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    My Asher Ultra-Tone Deluxe was my first T-Style guitar. I've yet to find a stock tele to rival it. That said, I've recently gotten closer with mods to my American Special. Not that they sound the same, but they are similar in their quality of tone

I've installed Fender American Professional pickups and a Rutters bridge on the Special. It's now a seriously good sounding guitar. Asher's build quality still kicks its butt - especially the neck where the wood and fret work are superb. That said, the Special is now one of the guitars that I don't intend to part with.

Vintagebrit likes this.

2. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Sound wise, my AmStd tele blew away my expectations. Playability wise, I was sorely disappointed by sharp frets. I played alot of AmStd's and none felt like this. Actually, just seeing this thread title finally pushed me to get a fret end file from stewmac. So thanks!

Other guitar wise, my gibson lp junior absolutely blew me away instantly and my Crews Maniac les paul absolutely smoked every gibson les paul i played after months of searching for a les paul.

Vintagebrit likes this.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Nice. Who signed it?

Vintagebrit likes this.

4. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughan, apparently. It wasn't sold as a collector piece and there's no provenance, but who'd fake something like that? It doesn't really add value to the guitar. I'm assuming it was a contest prize, so it hadn't cost the owner anything and he was willing to let it go cheap. I'd thought about wiping the signatures off, but I'm a rock guy and I thought it was kind of funny to have a guitar signed by two country players.

Years ago though, I was working for an AV company in a hotel. We found an old Van Halen 45 in a storage room (most likely left by a DJ- this wasn't long after the vinyl era), so I grabbed a sharpie and scrawled: "To Russ: you guys rock! EVH" on it (Russ was our boss). We put it up in the office and it was quite the conversation piece.

El Tele Lobo and Vintagebrit like this.

5. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Durham, NC, USA
    Mine was a Rondo SX Taurus one-piece ash. The Rolex collectors will sneer at it but it is a truck, and I mean a big truck.

Vintagebrit likes this.

6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    Squier CV 50's WB. Great A3 stock pups- instant tone love. Added a 4-way switch, compensated saddles, and (just for looks) a tortoise pickguard. That's all. Had it about seven years; more yellow than white now. It's still magical.

7. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    60's Classic Vibe Custom and subsequently the 50's Classic Vibe BSB.

Now I hadn't owned any teles before these two. But I had played many MIM and MIA fenders before. I never grabbed any of the MIM teles I played because none of them really spoke to me like I HAVE TO HAVE THIS GUITAR... and the few MIA teles I played that did speak to me in such a way... well they were just simply out of my price range (even for used ones).

When the Classic Vibe series came out I had heard all of the stories of how they were worth so much more than than MSRP but I just played it off as some hype or nonsense. I knew if MIM and MIA Fenders never made it home with me... there would be no way a MIC Squire would. So I went several years without even picking one up. But after finally playing a 60's CVC of a friend of mine, I fell in love at that point. It spoke to me! So much so that I offered to buy his and he was like "no way, Jose!" But the bug had bit me so I was on the lookout for one. I found a new one (or practically new... the guy had bought it the week earlier but then wrecked his car so he needed to sell it) for $150 off of retail. I went and checked it out and snatched it up. I loved that guitar so much it wasn't more than a week or two later I ordered the 50's BSB (and loved it equally if not even more).

So I wouldn't say they "met" my expectations from day one. I would say they greatly exceeded my expectations from day one. But day one (for me) was nearly 9 years after they were released. It was my own dumb fault for waiting nearly 9 years before trying my first Classic Vibe tele. Live and learn!!!

Vintagebrit and hdvades like this.

8. Craig L

Craig L TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    My new Thinline Elite. They might not be vintage enough for some people, but this baby gives me goosebumps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Mxrk, gypsy jim, Lars F and 4 others like this.

9. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    You should NOT be less than proud in any way IMO. That is one sweet Tele! Some People.. MEH. ;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Vintagebrit likes this.

10. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Baja 50's. It checks all the boxes for me. The only mods it's gotten are new knobs.

Vintagebrit likes this.

11. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Oh man, that's sweet! What color is that?

Vintagebrit likes this.

12. Craig L

Craig L TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    The colors called mystic ice blue.

Vintagebrit and Nubs like this.

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Probably 2003-4 I traded some parts to someone here for a SX Tele body. Alder, thin poly finish that to still looks good. A Fender guard does not line up perfectly on the lower bout side, but it is a good hammer to this day I'd gig with it.

No idea how the necks were, this one has a mighty might when production was MIK. I can sound just as terrible on this as a 64RI. ;)

Vintagebrit likes this.

14. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Ad Free + Supporter

Jul 12, 2005
    east of East St Louis
    oops.....wrong page

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    2001 James Burton standard, MIM. Texas special pups. Total telecaster goodness for me.
    IMG_1498787748.475844.jpg

Replaced the bridge with a Wilky 3-saddle. Even better.

Vintagebrit likes this.

16. Telekaster

Telekaster TDPRI Member

May 10, 2004
    My Fender CS '56 Masterbuilt Tele by Chris Fleming. Built to my spec.

17. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    Damn, that looks cool..

For me my recently acquired Classic Vibe 50's WB is just so nice, I'm really surprised how much I enjoy playing it..

Regards,

Lars

18. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    The guitar that surprised me was my most recent solid body Cabronita. I bought it during the Thomann blowout, having had a couple before and liked them. This one is totally standard with barely any adjustments from new apart from knocking back the neck gloss a bit and occasionally swapping pickguards. It has become the one that I pick up most at home and that I always take when I'm going to rehearsals, gigs, etc.

19. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've only owned one Telecaster in my life, but it's blowing my mind. It's just a relatively cheap-o MIM FSR Ash Tele that Guitar Center sells (and I think a few other places now too, but they claim it was their idea...). I got it used for $400 because I just wanted another Fender with a maple neck after having played a strat for years in my younger days. Since I got it about a month and a half ago, I came into some money from selling off some camera gear and I thought maybe I should upgrade since I'm getting pretty heavily back into playing again. But I've played all manner of teles and strats and I can't find another guitar, even significantly more expensive ones, that feel as right to me. It's a modern "C" shape neck with a 9.5 radius and I thought I'd like a fatter neck and a 7.5 more (that's what my old strat was), but nothing else feels as right or is set up as perfectly as this one was right out of the box. Maybe because it was used the previous owner REALLY had it dialed in more than something right off the floor of a shop. And while I've played others that sounded as good, nothing sounded better to me. I may yet upgrade if I stumble onto something I like better, but this cheap guitar has set a shockingly high bar that nothing else has cleared yet. I may just rewire it with the same options as the Baja and figure I'm good, but I'm almost afraid to even do that - not sure I want to mess with such a good thing and it's not like I really miss those other sounds when I'm playing...

-Ray

Vintagebrit likes this.

20. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    MIM Classic 50s for me. Got mine used off of the GC website after hearing so much about them. Immediately it was my fastest, smoothest playing Tele even given the 7.25 radius neck. Every time I pick it up I think "Oh, yeah, this is what I like." It blows my Baja 50s out of the water. Put a 4-way switch in it and all the tones are very nice.

I recently played a '52 RI after trying to get my hands on one for years. It was nice but nothing I would give up the Classic 50s for.

Vintagebrit likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.