Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Which Telecaster more than met your expectations from day one?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Vintagebrit, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

Mine was my 60's Baja. Read/ watched reviews and bought a new FSB online.
    A couple of minor quality issues but as soon as I played it, I knew it was the best Tele I had (have) ever played.
    It was like a tailored suit. Neck is the best I've played and I seem to get to different positions quicker and more accurately than on any other Guitar. Tones are just what I want out of a Tele.
    My style is pretty slow and steady anyway so I have no problems with any of my Tele's/Strat's but the Baja is just that bit easier.
    Let's hear your stories or any guitars you have that were unexpectedly good.

JayFreddy and El Tele Lobo like this.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    My '06 American Series. It's the one in my avatar photo. Played like a dream since the first moment I picked it up. Totally stock, wouldn't change a thing.

asnarski and Vintagebrit like this.

3. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    Mine is a Custom built T-style. In all my yrs. of playing and owning teles, this one will go to the grave with me. 20160521_135956_zps2a2csh4d.jpg

4. Had a 50's Baja, it was a very nice Tele, sold it and purchased an American Standard Channel Bound which to me this the best Tele I've ever played - and I've had a few and still have a few.... just feels and sounds perfect to me.

20160728_151723.jpg 20160728_151703.jpg

20160728_151703.jpg

5. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    My Adorama $379 Triple Tele really surprised me. I expected to think it was nifty, and I planned to Esquire it. However, it really exceeded my expectations and I like it just how it is. I have more expensive Teles and the Triple goes toe to toe with any of them at 1/3rd the price.

6. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    American Special. I'd owned about a dozen telecasters when I got it. I'd always been keen on one, but wasn't sure about the jumbo frets. At the time the American Standard had tummy cut and overall the Special just really appealed to me. I took a risk on it, and it paid off big style. Never have I loved and got along with a guitar so well from the get go. The jumbo frets were a non issue for me, and everything about the guitar was just perfect for me. It's now my only Tele and I have zero plans to ever replace it.

JayFreddy, jannodude, hdvades and 2 others like this.

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    I'd say both of mine - a 2011 60th anniversary and a Baja 60s. Both great guitars.

Vintagebrit likes this.

8. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    My first partscaster. I built it because it looked like a fun thing to do. I believe my comment in the build thread the first time I amplified it was, "Holy mother of twang!"

I'd expected something mediocre, and I got something wonderful.

9. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2016
    London
    Having had the benefit of owning several guitars previously, it was the modern player thinline telecaster. Radically different to any other guitar I'd owned, beautiful to look at, and tonally in a league of its own. I still haven't come across a guitar as fresh to my ears. Of course it's cheap, and it's not even a traditional telecaster, but the name on the headstock says it is. Prior to that, my first proper guitar, my US standard telecaster. Still love it, but had nothing to compare it to

LouBluz and Vintagebrit like this.

10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    Mine has to be my two Baja teles, both fifties, one in desert sand, my favorite and my BSB stablemate. The desert sand is a bit noisier but it feels so good to play, bought it used, and the BSB i bought brand new, so it's not even broken in yet which I think is the big difference.
    The desert sands from 2010 another blonde is from 2013.
    They just feel right and sound right through my Mesa Express 5:50+ awesome guitars, awesome amp !

El Tele Lobo, Vintagebrit and Tim S like this.

11. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I've had quite a few Teles - the American Special is really special.

I have an MIM 72 Deluxe also which is superb (even though a bit of a Frankenstein.) tele 1.png tele 2.jpg

12. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Norway
    My 50s Baja- makes my other MIMs feel cheap.

13. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    The first Telecaster I bought and my Number One - a 2002 American Series in Chrome Red. It's an amazing guitar.

Chrome Red Tele.JPG

hotrodkid, MadRocker, shupe13 and 3 others like this.

14. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    I tried out a used classic 50's in a GC one day, was really impressed with it. Wound up buying it a couple days later for around $350. Killer guitar for the money.

Vintagebrit likes this.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    :( It is the Baja that I picked up at a Ma & Pop music store in Spokane ... and I didn't buy it. :oops: :(:(:(:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

asnarski and Vintagebrit like this.

16. sonofiam

sonofiam Tele-Meister

Jan 19, 2017
    Inland Northwest
    The Triple Tele. I wanted a Baja but couldn't find one in the price range I was looking (used) and needed to get something within a certain amount of time. Saw the Triple Tele had a lot of the features of the Baja's and found one at the right price. I bought it with the full intention of converting it to a 50's Baja but when I got it and played it, fell in love with the tones I was able to get with it.

JayFreddy and Vintagebrit like this.

17. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    My ASAT Jr. The neck just blew my mind how smooth and comfortable it was. Most importantly stock pickups are fantastic.

Vintagebrit likes this.

18. adamajah

adamajah TDPRI Member

Nov 12, 2015
    out west
    Still in the honeymoon phase but this 2016 has impressed me non stop since I picked it up. I had given up thinking I could get jimi type strat neck tones with a tele until I played it, and of course it can do the twang thing as well as rawk out, so it covers the bases I need it for.

[​IMG]

19. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

50's Road Worn. Feels great. Sounds great. Most who try it ask if I want to sell it.

20. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    "Exceeded expectations" does not mean best so I'd say my FSR Deluxe Ash reverse and my '72 RI MIM Thinline. Fit and finish on both is excellent and both are easy to play. If you slapped a Made in the USA label on them and maybe put better pups in the FSR, many people wouldn't notice.g

Jim622, texastengu and Vintagebrit like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.